Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi H-R are your wheelbarrows 2 wheeled?

1 or 2, you do seem to move a lot of firewood...
Mine is a 1 wheeler, but I'm not against adding a 2 wheeler to the fleet if I fall into one.

You sometimes get lots of pics from me, 1 wheelbarrow load at a time. I figure I burn somewhere around 9 cord per year, lots of guys burning more than that. My wheelbarrow is nowhere near the legend of the @dancan van or the @Cowboy254 ute trailer, though it looks like I may be making a run at the AS scrounger of the year award this season and all the power and fame that goes with it. :numberone:

thot so, too! i liked seeing it. sorta makes me think i may have seen such as a kid when my Dad would take me and my brother with him into a hardware store. i remember the leather goods sections... fill the entire area up with those awesome aromas of new, fresh oiled leather... this, thats and whatevers, too...

no doubt at least some here can also remember those days
View attachment 957465
:heart: LOVE old hardware stores. Leather goods, bulk nails, skeleton keys, steel patches on the wood floor... ahhh! When I was a very young lad, my dad bought the small town hardware in town and I worked there until he sold it when I was around 20 years old. Lots to learn In a hardware store and I cherish that opportunity I was given. In some ways I wish I had been able to purchase it, but it was not meant to be.

I have an old photo of my grandfather in the same store as a young lad also. Oddly, his dad had also owned the store, though it went through several owners outside the family until my dad got it.

This was some from a skinny chain on the cub cadet. Not to shabby. I haven’t done anything with it yet but a skinny chain will never make chips like a good ol 3/8x 50
I have a Pioneer P28 that uses .325 seems to do not bad its a pretty torquey saw though.
My dad did exactly that. I figure one of each style is called for! :yes:
I'm sure i can find some round stock around here somewhere I could make a new axle.

Once again I went scrounging yesterday and did not even think to get pics.

A guy down toward Denver had an apple tree on the ground, just needed cutting up (Craigslist find). I kept thinking, 20-some miles, about a half-hr drive for less than a pickup-load--is it worth it? Finally decided that since I had nothing doing, just go. Was glad I did. The small branches were removed, so I had a decent sized apple tree that was all burnable, maybe 1/3 pickup-load. Best part was this tree was long dead, bark gone, dry & rock hard. I had it cut up and loaded in no time. I prize apple wood especially for smoking salmon--something I do 2--3 times a year.

Then, spied a tree outfit working a maple up the block. I cruised up there--"Hey, you got any big wood to get rid of?"

I loaded big rounds (had to noodle some 20+ inch rounds in half in order to make them liftable. So in the end I had a full load to bring home, making the trip fully worthwhile. No pics, because I was focussed like always on getting stuff done.

4x4 in 4lo with it in low gear it will move it ,not for long though . I'll bet that thing was screaming and trans temp shot up to 300° degrees . My c20 trans temp climbs going up a hill towing with a relatively light load .View attachment 957567View attachment 957568
The rear bumper on the trailered truck is very interesting... never saw one like it.

On another note, Got any ruffed grouse around there?

Back