Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well... there's probably 35 pages of actual scrounged firewood posts held together loosely by many, Many, MANY other topics! :yes:
Wheelbarrows! Who would have thought we could get so much mileage out of wheelbarrows?

If I ever get off my lazy ass and get my camera outside, I have the Elvis of wheelbarrows. I inherited it from my wife's great aunt whose husband died in 1964. Pretty sure it's 1950s vintage, all steel, no wood handles--Y'all are gonna have to kneel in homage to this thing when I get a photo up.

Daily user, too. Been bringing a full load of firewood from the woodshed most of the way to the house (then uneven stone steps un-negotiable for wheelbarrow). Cold days it makes more than one run.

Another article on the future of wood burning in New York...

https://kingstonwire.com/news/2022/1/30/state-looks-to-cut-emissions-from-heating-with-wood/524onO
State Looks to Cut Emissions from Heating With Wood

by Max Freebern

KINGSTON - On a cold winter day, few things are more appealing than a nice crackling fire in either a hearth or a wood stove. And many still rely on wood to heat their homes, especially in the more remote areas of Ulster, where electricity can and does go out more often.

But state officials say reducing the volume of wood smoke in New York could improve the health of residents and help lower the state’s carbon footprint.

During its October 2020 meeting, the New York State Climate Action Council discussed the benefits of reducing the state's wood consumption by 40 percent to meet the state’s climate and air quality goals.

These goals were detailed in the state’s 2019 Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act. The law mandated that the Climate Action Council find strategies to reduce the state’s greenhouse gas emissions by 40 percent compared to 1990 levels by 2030. The state aims to achieve “net-zero greenhouse gas emissions,” where the volume of greenhouse gasses released is negligible compared to their reduction, by 2050.

According to the council’s 2021 Draft Scoping Plan, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimated that the volume of PM2.5 emissions (polluting particles two and a half microns or less in width, released by wood burning) coming from residential wood heating in New York was greater than that from other sources of residential and commercial power generation combined, even though only 2 percent of New York homes use wood heating.

The presence of PM2.5 particles is linked to symptoms like chest pain and heart rhythm changes, and could increase the risk of heart attacks, strokes, and asthma, according to the scoping plan. Elderly folks, children and low-income residents are particularly vulnerable to wood smoke exposure, the document continued. The council claims 40 percent of the benefits that could come from the plan are associated with reducing wood smoke.

Julie Noble, Kingston’s environmental education and sustainability coordinator, is working with Bard College and the Kingston Conservation Advisory Council (KCAC) on the “Kingston Air Quality Initiative,” which monitors the PM2.5 levels at the neighborhood scale.

On the City of Kingston website, under “Air Quality and Wood burning,” the KCAC said that using wood for heating is one of the dirtiest ways to stay warm. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration data, it was estimated that 1,573.63 tons of wood was used to fuel Kingston homes in 2010. This created 193 tons of “carbon dioxide equivalent” emissions; i.e. even though what comes out of Kingston chimneys is not all CO2, combined, it has the same effect as emitting 193 tons of carbon dioxide.

That said, reducing the amount of wood burned in Kingston isn’t the city’s priority, Noble explained.

“Per our 2010 greenhouse gas emission inventory we determined that fewer than 70 homes in Kingston use wood as their primary source of heat so the focus is really on education and electrification,” Noble wrote in an email.

In a December KCAC meeting, Bard Professor Eli Dueker explained that PM2.5 emissions are often caused when wood fuel is not fully burnt before the smoke is released. Common sources for PM2.5 emissions included campfires, brush fires and wood stoves. Bard will work with Kingston to make air-quality data available for public education while the city works to promote the use of electric for both heating and vehicles.

The state is preparing for how a cut in wood consumption may impact the economy and hopes to add thousands of jobs in new clean-energy industries. As required by the Climate Act, the Just Transition Working Group conducted a study to examine the number of jobs that would be created to combat climate change and the training required for the new workforce, according to a New York State Energy Research & Development Authority spokesperson. Initial findings reveal that New York stands to see 10 new jobs for every potential lost job in sectors involving conventional heating and fuel. This middle-wage positions, the spokesperson continued.could result in hundreds of thousands of new jobs for the state by 2030 and beyond, with the largest pay increases coming from middle-wage positions, the spokesperson continued.

NYSERDA has already committed nearly $120 million to support existing workforce development and training initiatives to prepare over 40,000 New Yorkers for emerging clean-energy jobs and to help businesses find qualified workers, according to the spokesperson. NYSERDA is also funding internships and on-the-job training for folks looking to join the clean energy workforce. One example was the $6 million Climate Justice Fellowships initiative that specifically targeted disadvantaged communities.
overeducated jackasses from hell...………...don't worry,they wont pay your bills,,just demand what you do…………..

This is definitely a squeeze the little man. Wood burning is not what it was 100 years ago one factory pumps out more crap than half the countryside. Also it's like robbing Peter to pay Paul. If everyone is forced to switch to electric heat and cars and lawn equipment the grid will not support that. Which then means more power plants coal fired, natural gas, or nuclear. They will be building them everywhere. So no less pollutants just making sure you pay and rely on them. It's not about clean energy it's making you dependent on the system. Wait till one of those nuke plants melts down from shotty maintenance and inspection requirements see how clean the state is then. The nuclear regulatory commission is a joke turn a blind eye just like any other job on earth. Only this one comes with catastrophic results.
I worked in nuclear for over 30 years. Strongly disagree about shoddy maintenance and inspection requirements. Also disagree with your assessment of the NRC.
Facts and basis?
sundance

This probably won't impact too many guys here, but Dewalt recalled some of their corded chainsaws.

https://www.finehomebuilding.com/20...c-1NKE-1LI222-l75yECAyi7-25orRt&om_mid=103307
On January 26, 2022, DeWalt recalled approximately 8500 units of its 18-in., 15-amp corded chain saw (model DWCS600) due to a hazard involving the tool continuing to run. According to a release from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), “The chain saw can remain running when the switch is on the off position or turn on when plugged in, posing an injury hazard to the user.”

The chainsaws were available nationwide from June 2021 through November 2021.

Mine has the standard tire and it does have a slow leak. I couldn't find the leak with soap and water. Been meaning to get a tube for it. Probably should look at foam, but I'm guessing that costs a bit more than a tube. I think I actually have a couple tires around if I do a little digging.
Probly fill the tire with icyhot or aspercream 🤣

Who doesn't like Brussel Sprouts??
I've enjoyed them since the first time I had them... I even know where that was. I was at the Hurley Mountain Inn about 40 years ago and the owner, Bobby Harjes, brought me into the kitchen and gave me a bowl of snapping turtle soup. It was delicious! BTW, the HMI was featured in the movie Tootsie with Dustin Hoffman and Jessica Lange, as was Bob Opdhal's farm down the road from it.

This is definitely a squeeze the little man. Wood burning is not what it was 100 years ago one factory pumps out more crap than half the countryside. Also it's like robbing Peter to pay Paul. If everyone is forced to switch to electric heat and cars and lawn equipment the grid will not support that. Which then means more power plants coal fired, natural gas, or nuclear. They will be building them everywhere. So no less pollutants just making sure you pay and rely on them. It's not about clean energy it's making you dependent on the system. Wait till one of those nuke plants melts down from shotty maintenance and inspection requirements see how clean the state is then. The nuclear regulatory commission is a joke turn a blind eye just like any other job on earth. Only this one comes with catastrophic results.
One volcanic eruption equals a boatload of greenhouse gases. Trouble is facts are suppressed if they don't fit the control everyone and all there stuff agenda

I worked in nuclear for over 30 years. Strongly disagree about shoddy maintenance and inspection requirements. Also disagree with your assessment of the NRC.
Facts and basis?
sundance
Three Mile Island.... I know how business works and the payoffs that are involved we are no different than the Japanese. You rarely know or hear about the problems until an upper investigation is done and then the stuff really comes out of the woodwork. Stuff is hidden swept under the rug, ignored. We are no different than any other country. Believing nuclear energy is safe is a fallacy. A reaction that cannot be controlled or stopped once it goes catastrophic should never be used. Clearly you were not involved in any of that, But not all people are honest. Go online there's been over 56 accidents in the US via improper maintenance or operator error. In my opinion its a ticking time bomb. Just my opinion nothing more. But catastrophic nuclear accidents have happened and they will happen again.

There is no way in hell that they can change everyone to electric heating . During the summer when its hot they have brown outs from all the a/c units going and not everyone has a/c . All these people live in fantasyland.

That's largely the result of building an entire residential grid on a single-phase distribution.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

One volcanic eruption equals a boatload of greenhouse gases. Trouble is facts are suppressed if they don't fit the control everyone and all there stuff agenda

Volcanoes have been active throughout the exisstance of earth. Nature was used to their output. Our output IS IN ADDIDTION to theirs - but don't lit facts bother you.

Mine has the standard tire and it does have a slow leak. I couldn't find the leak with soap and water. Been meaning to get a tube for it. Probably should look at foam, but I'm guessing that costs a bit more than a tube. I think I actually have a couple tires around if I do a little digging.
I've used Green Slime from Tractor Supply, and it works OK, but your supposed to run it around for like 15 minutes at 15 miles per hour.

Latest posts

Back