Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Running 100% isnt good. 100% will freeze at around 0° farenheit 50/50 around -35 70/30 around -80 . Also will overheat with just antifreeze .

I don’t know what percentage it’s at now, but there is water in it. I have a tester, I’ll make a note to check next time up.

Straight antifreeze reminds me of running straight water in the cooling system. When I joined my father-in-law in farming and cattle (1980) we ran two combines during annual June wheat harvest. His idea to save money was to run straight water in the combines for the several weeks they worked, then just drain the water till the following year.

After a couple of years I learned the weakness in that plan. The little bit of moisture remaining in the system, augmented by condensation, would create rust inside the cast iron water jacket, months of rust buildup. We would run hard for a day or two at the start of each harvest, and then the engine would overheat due to the radiator being choked with rust that had worked loose. I'd have to remove the radiator, have it boiled out in town, etc. Had water pump issues too. (Anti freeze fluid includes pump lubricant.)

More than once my father-in-law saw the temp. gauge in the red zone, but figured "Aw hell, I can keep running to the end of the field and back--it'll be okay." And in doing so he blew the head gasket. I got good at replacing head gaskets. These were 1957 & 1959 Massey Harris combines with Chrysler straight six flathead engines.

Eventually I ditched the antiques and bought a used Gleaner G diesel combine. And I kept properly mixed coolant in the system year-round.

Straight antifreeze reminds me of running straight water in the cooling system. When I joined my father-in-law in farming and cattle (1980) we ran two combines during annual June wheat harvest. His idea to save money was to run straight water in the combines for the several weeks they worked, then just drain the water till the following year.

After a couple of years I learned the weakness in that plan. The little bit of moisture remaining in the system, augmented by condensation, would create rust inside the cast iron water jacket, months of rust buildup. We would run hard for a day or two at the start of each harvest, and then the engine would overheat due to the radiator being choked with rust that had worked loose. I'd have to remove the radiator, have it boiled out in town, etc. Had water pump issues too. (Anti freeze fluid includes pump lubricant.)

More than once my father-in-law saw the temp. gauge in the red zone, but figured "Aw hell, I can keep running to the end of the field and back--it'll be okay." And in doing so he blew the head gasket. I got good at replacing head gaskets. These were 1957 & 1959 Massey Harris combines with Chrysler straight six flathead engines.

Eventually I ditched the antiques and bought a used Gleaner G diesel combine. And I kept properly mixed coolant in the system year-round.
When we raced we would use Water wetter. Would stop the block from rusting as antifreeze wasnt allowed on the track . Never use tap water either

I remember a Massey Super 27 combine my father had. I think it had been replaced probably before 1970. We thought it was antique then.
We had Massey Harris 90 & 92 models, and they were good machines. But years of use and poor maintenance made them problematic by the time I wrenched on them.

The hydraulic pump was underneath the header, and so George, my father-in-law, would raise the header, check the oil level in the pump and add oil because it was always low. Only after I'd been in business with him for several years did I find out he had owners manual and parts books for the machines--he was virtually illiterate--and the manual cautioned to check the hydraulic oil level ALWAYS WITH THE HEADER DOWN, as the raised hyd. cylinder held a lot of oil. No wonder the pump seals were always blown.

We had Massey Harris 90 & 92 models, and they were good machines. But years of use and poor maintenance made them problematic by the time I wrenched on them.

The hydraulic pump was underneath the header, and so George, my father-in-law, would raise the header, check the oil level in the pump and add oil because it was always low. Only after I'd been in business with him for several years did I find out he had owners manual and parts books for the machines--he was virtually illiterate--and the manual cautioned to check the hydraulic oil level ALWAYS WITH THE HEADER DOWN, as the raised hyd. cylinder held a lot of oil. No wonder the pump seals were always blown.
It’s amazing how many times you find people doing things wrong for a lifetime!

43 at 1pm. just settling down from work outside - first time in about 3 weeks it seems. Wx was below freezing with wind almost every day. I can work in the cold but not with wind blowing.

Broke up an old drift covering my pile of 4=7' limb sections waiting to run through the 'small stuff' sawbuck. Then ran a load of rounds through the splitter and stack same. about 2 hours. That tuckered me out for the day.

We have 7 more days of this weather predicted so the appox 1cord of rounds sstill to go won't last long. By that time the limb sections should all be clear of snow and ready for the chainsaw. It'[ll feel read good to run one again.

Land lady of the big overgrown willow bush I am cleaning up is supposed to be in the area early next month. I'll get with her and see just what she wants and try to talk her out of a few trees.

My "small locust" scrounge of the past two years went down hill in a hurry. From ":we hate locust cut it all!" it became take only dead stuff. I still have a few dead fall I can drag out of the gully to do this summer but that will be it.

Question on posting pics. I used to post a lot of them but tried today and can't seem to get them to post. Find the picture, right click, open. There is where I am stuck. What is the next key stroke(s) to get it to attach?

Howdy fellas. Made it up to my hunting cabin this afternoon. Shut down the heat and hauled out the freezable goods. It snowed most of the day but the powdery snow didn’t account to much, maybe 3 inches. Roads were not very good but we made it. Amazingly didn’t get stuck with the snowmobile or the four wheelers.

Enjoyed a brew as I was shutting things down, one less to haul home.
E4EC6258-9300-454E-B721-CA47A5DF4DCE.jpeg

I had brought that up a couple pages back. The problem sometimes isn't the antifreeze mix. The newer antifreezes are using Propylene Gylcol which is only good to -20 to begin with. You want an antifreeze that uses Ethelylne Glycol which is good to -35 at 50/50 respectfully. Obviously buy the tester and mix accordingly. Wind chill matters if it's -50 wind chill and your ride is in the wind it's going to freeze up. Move to shelter out of the wind. Antifreezes do not mix also. If you want to change you gave to change it all. Check manuals to make sure a certain kind if antifreeze doesn't cause damage and adjust accordingly.

Latest posts

Back