Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have 700 species of Eucalyptus so it’s a bit like asking how long is a piece of string bu in general from my experience most are easy to split. The latest load I’ve got is very easy to split, it’s one that tears it self apart as it seasons.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know there were that many varieties and that some get deep checks when they dry. Here in California we must have gotten the Cantbustem stinkywoodiie variety.
There are still a couple of square mile sections of Eucalyptus along side of our major N/S freeway out in the Central Valley. It's what's left over from the days when locomotives burned wood and they were planted to make a profit off supplying wood to the big R/R companies. That plan was a failure but the trees are too expensive to remove and they don't reproduce do to lack of moisture through rain or irrigation. Just getting older and bigger. Now Simpson Lumber has a huge plantation in the area for pulp to use in high quality paper.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know there were that many varieties and that some get deep checks when they dry. Here in California we must have gotten the Cantbustem stinkywoodiie variety.
There are still a couple of square mile sections of Eucalyptus along side of our major N/S freeway out in the Central Valley. It's what's left over from the days when locomotives burned wood and they were planted to make a profit off supplying wood to the big R/R companies. That plan was a failure but the trees are too expensive to remove and they don't reproduce do to lack of moisture through rain or irrigation. Just getting older and bigger. Now Simpson Lumber has a huge plantation in the area for pulp to use in high quality paper.
Interesting bit of history there.

Guys all this talk of heating and heating cost……. What are you worried about it’s the middle of summer LOL.

I've seen it in videos before too, all the little RC planes use them.
@Red97 had a fairly recent one on a saw, he also had a nice device that let the socket spin with the engine once it started so it didn't damage the tool you were using or the tool operating it lol.
Hopefully he can comment on what that adapter was and maybe link the video as I don't remember which one it was.
Also you can turn the on/off switch too off so it will get turning and then turn it on while it's spinning. Doing it this way may help get the engine up to speed a bit easier and then turn it to the on position while still cranking it.

Who were you responding too here, I think I know, but it wasn't in this thread if I'm guessing right.
This is for the drill starting a saw. I was going to make a chuck with two tabs sticking out to push the drill away as soon as the saw fired. If yo use a regular socked the saw revving faster than the drill might throw it into the next neighborhood, just like a hand crank car or tractor.

The other post was for the guy with back problems and thinking of a longer bar.

Propane is about $2.35 a gallon up from 1.25 last spring. Propane prices are very volatile. It depends on the time of the year, how dry the corn and beans were at harvest and how cold the winter is. During the polar vortex about 7 years ago(I think) we had a propane shortage and the highest price I was quoted was $6.45 a gallon. Glad I had wood that year!
My propane prices change month to month. From 1.69-3.09$ at my place upnorth

I think my propane is locked in at 69 cents a liter, 12 cents higher than last year, and there's 3.78 of those things in your American gallon so that's like 2.60 a gallon. And if you think that's expensive, you should see our electricity!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Electricity is going up here in michigan, I love when the news says about rate increases, oh its only gonna be like 1.88$ extra per month for an average household. Yea right it's usually way more than that. Like 20-100$ just more propaganda. They want everyone on electricity now so it can be controlled and monopolized

I've started plenty of engines with a cordless drill and a socket. Most flywheel nuts aren't super high profile so the socket comes right off. Snowmobile, outboards, weedwhacker etc .

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
I’ve used a drill with a 6” rubber sanding disc on ones with a screen on the flywheel. Takes lots of pressure but it works.

My dad made a jig where he put a rubber wheel chucked up in a drill to spin the flywheel to try and start his 4 mac 610/650 saws, the big blocky ones from the early 80's like the timber bear. It worked pretty good other than they all needed fuel line and carb work. I said dad no wonder why you were wearing yourself out trying to pull start them 🤣

@bob kern any timeline on when your son will be back out scrounging firewood with you?
Thanks for askin’!! Had his 1 wk check up Monday and all looks good! We go back in 4 ish weeks to see if the pins can come out and if he can put weight on it. If so he can graduate to a walking cast at that time. A few more weeks of that then no cast but no rowdiness (lol )for a few more weeks.

@turnkey4099 I was thinking about you today, cutting on a big nasty willow today :baba:.
Gonna need a bigger saw/bar when I go back, the ported 261cm did a nice job, but the 20" was a bit short, had to cut from both sides after the 4th cut on the stem. The round under the stem in the last 2 pictures is 18-20".
Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 9.57.11 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-09 at 10.00.21 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-09 at 9.59.40 PM.png

@turnkey4099 I was thinking about you today, cutting on a big nasty willow today :baba:.
Gonna need a bigger saw/bar when I go back, the ported 261cm did a nice job, but the 20" was a bit short, had to cut from both sides after the 4th cut on the stem. The round under the stem in the last 2 pictures is 18-20".
View attachment 963590View attachment 963591View attachment 963592
That’s my wife’s favorite book too. Says it proves I’m supposed to make my own coffee!
Nice work by the way.

Latest posts

Back