Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're kidding you - they've got an app that tells them. Plus what airline it is, where it's going, where it's from, the pilot's inside leg measurement, etc. Sad...
Not really because she doesn't use that app. It's from years of running outside in the summer when you hear a low plane fly over. I don't have a smart phone and she doesn't know how to use hers.

Not really because she doesn't use that app. It's from years of running outside in the summer when you hear a low plane fly over. I don't have a smart phone and she doesn't know how to use hers.
Some guys know the sound of classic cars some guys know classic chainsaws sounds and others as you stated know airplanes. Pretty cool calamari. 😎

Water. Our place we burn on is timberland, embers will drop and start tiny smoldering spots that can and do start burning. I have a water trailer on hand to handle those. Nothing has gotten out of control on me, but when it’s dry I don’t want to do it without water. I’m not gonna start the next big wildfire in California.

I prefer to burn when it looks like this.

View attachment 963750
In 1962 I was paid the enormous rate of $3/hr working on a timber stand improvement crew stacking slash, cutting brush and making fairly small piles of stuff to burn in the winter. We'd put a layer of visqueen over a substantial part of the pile to keep it dry so it could be started by the guys who worked that time of the year. Thinking about it, I wonder if that plastic layer helped or hurt the process because having a barrier like that with high summer heat and you'd draw any moisture out of any green stuff under it along with moisture in the soil? Maybe it was just the plastic burning that got the pile going?

Dinosaurs and decomposed prehistoric plants helped get ours going 😉
I didn't see what was used. Maybe one of those driptorches that are used to start backfires but I don't know. I do know wahtever it was, it worked. All the piles that took us all summer to build were gone the following year.

Morning guys. I taught cast iron cooking class last night to a dozen students, here’s the finished product. I forgot to get pics of the appetizers though. Apple pie and brownies (both baked in cast iron) for dessert.
I was sitting here thinking I was a little hungry... now I'm very hungry. 😉

I didn't see what was used. Maybe one of those driptorches that are used to start backfires but I don't know. I do know wahtever it was, it worked. All the piles that took us all summer to build were gone the following year.
My cutting buddy showed me a trick when I invited him along to burn the previous years brush piles. I went ahead of him dousing the piles with diesel, he came behind lighting them off with a road flare - worked like a dream. Moved along almost as fast as we could walk.

:yes: How's things over your way Ryan? Finding much wood?
Heis to biddy cheeking pepls punkchewation :p .
I do more of it than I care too myself. Had a good time with the boy last night going though his red words(words that don't follow the rules), I said them just as they were written, he had a hard time with it and said he doesn't want my help anymore :laughing:. He was laughing most the time though, so I'm not sure I succeeded in getting fired from my position lol.
At 14 he can spell many words I can't, good thing they are written down ;).

:yes: How's things over your way Ryan? Finding much wood?
All good over here Steve. Last scrounge I had was a pile of white pine I drove past in the city and threw in my car. It’s been a strange winter and spring is right around the corner. That will kickstart scrounge season for me as townships and the utility companies will start to cut and they literally let the wood lay right where it falls. Easy pickings!

Heis to biddy cheeking pepls punkchewation :p .
I do more of it than I care too myself. Had a good time with the boy last night going though his red words(words that don't follow the rules), I said them just as they were written, he had a hard time with it and said he doesn't want my help anymore :laughing:. He was laughing most the time though, so I'm not sure I succeeded in getting fired from my position lol.
At 14 he can spell many words I can't, good thing they are written down ;).

Ha! I teach children with Autism at a public middle school here. More of a funny/sarcastic comment than anything . Hardly a grammar policeman.

All good over here Steve. Last scrounge I had was a pile of white pine I drove past in the city and threw in my car. It’s been a strange winter and spring is right around the corner. That will kickstart scrounge season for me as townships and the utility companies will start to cut and they literally let the wood lay right where it falls. Easy pickings!

Ha! I teach children with Autism at a public middle school here. More of a funny/sarcastic comment than anything . Hardly a grammar policeman.
Appreciate your time and dedication to help those kids. I know a few kids with autism over the years and it's no easy task.

My older daughter has a unique genetic disorder and there are associations/links to both Intellectual disabilities and Autism Spectrum Disorder. She is a 11 and my side kick for sure. She loves to hang and watch when I split wood and is SUPER quick to spot any wood scrounging opportunities when we are driving!

Back