Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We could begin another Scrounging thread subset: pine safely burned for heat.

Living in a pine forest among countless Ponderosa pine trees, I burn some pine pretty much every day. Most of my neighbors who heat with wood burn nothing but pine. Ponderosa at my elevation, and lodgepole at the higher elevations. Dry pine is quite safe to burn, altho the old wives tale against it is surprisingly robust.

Had there been anything to it, there wouldn't have been a house standing over in this part of the country. We weren't even all that careful about it being dry.

We could begin another Scrounging thread subset: pine safely burned for heat.

Living in a pine forest among countless Ponderosa pine trees, I burn some pine pretty much every day. Most of my neighbors who heat with wood burn nothing but pine. Ponderosa at my elevation, and lodgepole at the higher elevations. Dry pine is quite safe to burn, altho the old wives tale against it is surprisingly robust.
Yep here in central Indiana its very taboo. Never heard of anyone regularly burning pine til I heard y’all talking about it on here. It has been beat in to my head for years not to burn pine. Legend has it that just a few weeks of burning it will cake your flu and burn the house down. Probably started by someone who always burn too low a temp, that being more of the problem than the wood itself.

Yep here in central Indiana its very taboo. Never heard of anyone regularly burning pine til I heard y’all talking about it on here. It has been beat in to my head for years not to burn pine. Legend has it that just a few weeks of burning it will cake your flu and burn the house down. Probably started by someone who always burn too low a temp, that being more of the problem than the wood itself.
Sweet saws Bob, i seen yellow and a hint of green

Some scrounge off the lake, wasn't much fun with 50mph wind gusts temps in the teens and near whiteout snow squalls. But the echos powered thru with reckless abandon. 3 wheeler performed flawlessly as expected.
Windy here too, bringing the warm weather for the rest of the week :havingarest:.
Of course the Honda worked great :happy:.

Some scrounge off the lake, wasn't much fun with 50mph wind gusts temps in the teens and near whiteout snow squalls. But the echos powered thru with reckless abandon. 3 wheeler performed flawlessly as expected.View attachment 972686View attachment 972688View attachment 972690
I miss the big red 350 I used to ride.
The green is actually a bag of milk replacer for the lambs. It is a perfect Pouln green though! Wish I had the 4000 fixed. Would like to have ran it today
I wish I could find a 4000 for a decent price.
Anyone need a new scrounging ride.
View attachment 972691
I need a crew cab. But I'll wait a little longer till fuel prices drive the price down to what these trucks should go for.

My stack was getting low and I remembered a friends neighbor had his land clear cut a year or so ago and I went to get some spoils a few weeks ago. The woods were mature hardwoods and tons of leftover tops. I went into the brush looking for wood close to the edge so I didn't have to carry it too far to the truck, just cut and move the truck. I found a large white oak top that was starting to rot but had lots of branches off the ground/easy cutting. I saw a tree that looked like a Sourwood on the ground and passed. I went back to get the last few logs I cut and looked closer at that tree. It was a Hickory about 12" and was cut w a feller and the base of the tree was on the the stump and 30' up the trunk was on another stump and the whole trunk was off the ground ! I cut it all up and even stuffed the small branches in the truck too. It was easy to split the dried out hickory and it burns slooow and hot and I broke up the branches w my hands.....I've been getting pallets from where I work and burn a lot of that wood. I don't get the pine pallets, just the hardwood. I use a cordless circle saw to cut them up quick. Last week we had a 80* day, right now it's 37 and the wind chill is 27....starting the fire right now.
20220312_172704.jpg

I am waiting as well for fuel prices to bring the truck cost down. I would love to get a 2000-2006 Chevy 1 ton with the 8.0 in it Work truck si fine and a regular cab with an 8' bed.
View attachment 971550
First time boiling maple sap for me. Had about 2.5 gallons of sap (I threw the ice out before I started) which boiled to a bit under 1/2 pint. Delicious! I tapped a little early. The sap has just started running well here.
Good stuff there. I had to re boil my last batch and add water. I boiled it until it got foamy but that was to thick. I had maple sugar crystals in it, good but addictive stuff ( MAPLE CRACK)
Always here this in New England, people have a hard time getting rid of it. I just missed out on a free truckload of it 2 weeks ago. When I have room there is a guy on craigs list giving away truck loads of it, just have to pay $250 for the trucking. Once my pile goes down I'll be calling him back. I don't mind pine in the wood stove or the OWB. Dry for the house and boiler just doesn't care, I mix it in with hardwood for coals.

Back