Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine's a True Temper 6 cu/ft single wheel.
Plus I notice when I load it up with heavy firewood like Elm or Oak, that tire is pretty stressed. I'm thinking that a two wheeled one will take a bit of the load off a single.

Can I suggest this? I’ll never buy another wheel barrel. This is much easier to dump and way easier to pull around IMO.

Used this exclusively to get bucked wood out of our woods to the splitting pile. And it was heavy stuff. Lots of Fresh cut oak, cherry, maple.

then it was used to move splits from pile to the house. This wagon moved well over 15 cords like that before I had to do some welding repair on the pivot point and replace the wheels for solid rubber ones. Now she is good for another 15 cord

And you can flip the handle around and pull it with some thing like a side-by-side if you want.

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...58-c-13262.htm?tid=2402349223487660737&ipos=5

They also make a bigger version that is fantastic for pulling behind a side-by-side

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]🛻

I agree chipper, semi chisel still cuts well, I'll use my chain. Just I needed a spare and bought full chisel and fitted that first.
I like to run a 325 semi-chisel on the mtronic/autotune saws as I can run them for 2 full tanks(they run a lot longer on a tank than a standard carb saw) and not have to sharpen them unless I'm flush cutting stumps, but I don't normally do that with a 50cc saw unless I don't have a semi-chisel chain for the 70cc saw. If I run a full-chisel I have to sharpen before I finish 2 full tanks, which causes my time per cut to go down. If your just cutting clean wood and taking your time to not hit the dirt(I don't worry about it when I'm running semi on a job, more worried with getting done quicker), then full chisel is my choice as it's more fun:chainsaw: :).
Well, guess what I forgot to bring with me yesterday :rare2:, yep, the semi chisel chain for the 70cc saw:cry:.
That 325 chain I just straightened out for the husky 550, well I'm about 1/16-1/8" away from the witness marks. I flush cut all the stumps on the job, and I filed the heck out of that chain, by the last time I filed it my fingers/hand was starting to cramp up :eek:.
Anyone want a couple cord+ of cottonwood? There's even some covered in ivy for you Neil lol.

Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 10.48.07 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-17 at 10.49.16 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-17 at 10.49.50 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-17 at 10.50.25 AM.png

I probably spoke too soon. Yesterday the temps rolled straight into the 60's, melted the snow, and exposed the slick soil underneath, all in one day. I had a lot of skidding done already, so I bucked a reasonable amount and split while working on saw chips. I think it will be even warmer today - probably car washing weather, although I still have the water to all my outdoor hose bibs shut off and the hoses stowed.

I do not do any tree tapping for syrup. I don't know enough about it, to confirm I even have enough trees to make it worth while. I helped my Dad many years ago at the old homestead in Lancaster County. Really only had enough for him to play at it. We eventually boiled off a couple quart ball jars that he gave out as presents to friends.
Oh man, sounds like a mess. It was 65 here yesterday and they are calling for it to hit 66 today(currently 53), 43 for Friday and sat, then 50's and 40's for the rest of the month, some days with rain. As long as the frost is all out before the weekend rain it should start to dry up nicely.
I'm going to work on a bit more grading today and maybe even spread a bit of topsoil. Already got the wife's ride washed today for her :heart:.
I've never been around when the guys I know are doing syrup, but I know quite a few here that do. Yesterday on my way home from the job I just finished when we were still an hr from the house my wife got a text from a friend who lives 10 min from where were were, "how much would Brett charge to take this down", as if the other job wasn't enough lol, we headed right over. It was a maple that had broken because it was partially rotten and then it barber chaired, it was kinda nasty. You should have seen the sap flowing out of that thing, I could have caught a cup by the time I cut it off the stump and it was only about a 10-12" tree :surprised3:. If they tapped all the maples on their property(just a little into the woods) they could surly net a couple quarts.
It was pretty cool we were able to help out (and hang out) right away as they live an hr away, and she had forgotten I do tree work and had called a couple other places and no-one returned her call.
Also trimmed the deadwood and a couple other branches out of the pine for them, her hubby will clean up the debris when he gets home.

Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 11.19.48 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-17 at 11.20.05 AM.png

You guys are making me hungry for pancakes.
Well found out iPhones don’t like to be ran through the washing machine.. or over heated with a hairdryer afterwards…Got my new phone so back in business. Snow is melting fast and getting muddy so I’ll be off work for couple weeksView attachment 973992Took the wood locating tool out for a ride at lower elevation where there was more bare ground View attachment 973991Snowed another 6” up higher last night so decided to take the motorless winter wood locating tools out this morning View attachment 973993Snow melted enough around the house to get to the to be split pileView attachment 973994Split a fewView attachment 973995Don’t want to get too carried away will probably be May before I can get more, lol.
Bummer about your phone :cry:.
Mines pretty trashed now too, forgot it was in my back pocket :rare2:, good thing is was a cheapy and just so I could try out the service to see if I liked it before switching :).
That pup trailer looks pretty sketchy with that converter dolly setup, how often do they roll over.
I like the motorized wood locating tool :happy:.

Yes, a single wheel wheelbarrow is harder to balance with a full load, but I have taken wood out of places with one that a wagon or 2 wheeled wheelbarrow will not go.

Guess it helps to be good at it ... I've had lots of practice!

When I was helping out with a construction project at the fish and game club the guy in charge could not believe that I was able to just flip the handles up (before coming to a stop) and dump all the gravel into a post hole. Practice makes perfect!

I moved a LOT of gravel by wheelbarrow when I was building this house.

Can I suggest this? I’ll never buy another wheel barrel. This is much easier to dump and way easier to pull around IMO.

Used this exclusively to get bucked wood out of our woods to the splitting pile. And it was heavy stuff. Lots of Fresh cut oak, cherry, maple.

then it was used to move splits from pile to the house. This wagon moved well over 15 cords like that before I had to do some welding repair on the pivot point and replace the wheels for solid rubber ones. Now she is good for another 15 cord

And you can flip the handle around and pull it with some thing like a side-by-side if you want.

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...58-c-13262.htm?tid=2402349223487660737&ipos=5

They also make a bigger version that is fantastic for pulling behind a side-by-side

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]🛻
I'd been using an old pram to move wood around from splitting area to stack and the like. I promised myself one of those garden carts when the pram brakes but it's built sturdy.... I've had 40-50Kg (100lbs) of wood in it loads, bouncing it down steps... It still lives! I don't want to meet the baby it was built for. Then a couple of years ago I scrounged up a wheel barrow. Just a cheap one, that was showing the use/abuse when I got it (I ought to get a little weld repair done as the tub is parting from the handle.) When that barrow breaks I'd be torn... Cart Vs barrow... Each have advantages

My buddys and I call High Life bottles "tall blondes". I like them but I tend to have 1 or 4 too many and the next day requires ibuprofen. :lol:
they can easily begin to taste just like another glass of water!!! lol

don't ask me how i know....
..............:drinking:

still some :drinkingcoffee: left....

hated to take down my ol buddy the corner oak. but it has got sick, and as such become a dangerous tree! gone, is quite a change to the corner view. a good 2 1/2 cords of oak. some needing to be split, lots... and some not so much, just season up. tree had numerous big branches, some up to 4" diam... and as such easy firewood stix. so cut them up, stacked... ez crack, stack n rack.. the 1/2 cord:
P1010013.JPG
P1010138.JPGP1010139.JPGP1010140.JPG

I dropped a big willow - about 4' dbh using nothing but my 14" tophandle Stihl. Stump looked just like that except it was burned out.
i kept all the gutz of the tree. junk wood, but when i test burned it... lots ofo btu's. good enuff for my needs! outdoors, that is. however, last couple evening fires in LR fireplace... i did use some small for kindling. worked ok.
P1010045.JPG

Nothin but mud around the wood so I finished up the last of the sap today View attachment 974138View attachment 974139
i bet real tasty!! :)

my carrot patch had turned into a forest. well, imo! :rolleyes: so wondered if i had any trunks... logs down in the 'mud'? lo n behold... patch is jumpin'! :happybanana:

P1010013.JPGP1010022.JPGP1010024.JPGP1010026.JPG
made a nice side for some grilling we did yesterday. added a dop of s cream w/chives. right on! :cool:

:numberone: scrounge! :lol:

:givebeer:

I'm too old and wore down to use a wheelbarrow like you guys do, so here's my wheelbarrow and splitter. lol

Resized-20220316-134743-S.jpg

It's still slow going for me these days...

SR
nice set up! garden plot, too!

Yes, a single wheel wheelbarrow is harder to balance with a full load, but I have taken wood out of places with one that a wagon or 2 wheeled wheelbarrow will not go.
i certainly would agree with that. fortunately for me, i do not have too much exp with single wheel. just enuff to know i really like my 2-whl 10 cu ' wb best....
P1010133.JPG

Latest posts

Back