Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
an honest firewood scrounge post!!!

the storm blew thru hard enuff around my place to drop some good, ez pickins campwood. and i helped neighbor finally cut up some pecan that we talked about last summer. small limb. widow maker potential, though. back yard. so far a good 10 cu ft of stix. hr's work or so. all within 150', well one 250. all in all within easy walking distance 1/2 cord, maybe bit more....and made contact with another neighbor who dropped some nice oak. and has a load or two of no-need-to- split campwood. i like fireplace-ready stix... saw and rackin' only.... :)
that and a cold :givebeer:
buckets 1 and 2, ez scrounge... some oak, some pecan. campwood. day before and yesterday...
P1010001.JPGP1010016.JPG
2 more to go...

an honest firewood scrounge post!!!

the storm blew thru hard enuff around my place to drop some good, ez pickins
had buttoned up my LR fireplace... but last nite unbuttoned it. enjoyed some recorded shows in rocker... burning some of the storm dropped scrounge...
P1010024.JPG
a Lumberjack's Motto:

'no wood, no fire!'

My day went sidewise right off. Planned to open the cutting season by checking access to my latest scrounge, abandoned house with trees. type unknown but wants ALL of the trees on the lot removed. I hadn't seen it as it was up a dirt road a couple miles.

So, loaded truck with all the play toys climbed in and got just one quick "buzz". Check of battery and card on it says old, Called the local Grange. They'll come get the truck today. Sooo..not having seen the site yet I drove out. Not great but does have a good size Black Locust and same for some kind of Birch plus a grove of young willow. Road wasn't great but passable. First day truck is available i'm off to cut in to that. Be several days work, some good wood, lot of gofer type. Be a great way to start the season.

Truck wasn't picked up yesterday "I forgot, I'll get it today for sure".

So I made today the opening day of cutting using the car. Out to the willow bush, Fell a smallsize (20" DBH), brushed and piled same. Left log ready to buck and haul. I didn't want to leave abunch of nice will rounds righ next to the road. If somone wants to steal wood, let them do at least a little work for it. 2.5-3 hours and very tired but feelign good. 3 hours was about my best time last year so I guess I kept most of my 'fitness'.

If they don't pick up the truck this afternoon, I'll put the charger on it, it off tomorrow morning and they will bring it home.

We have had a foreign student from Sweden staying with us. Last week, spring break, her parents visited and stayed a couple nights with us. Her dad, besides being a hunter, cuts his own wood. A fellow scrounger! He was very interested in my operation, especially my splitter. Its a gas powered 25 ton that came from tractor supply. He had never seen a splitter with a gas engine on it. Said the biggest he's seen is 12 tons electric. I was really surprised that a country where forestry is huge doesn't have these, at least as far as he's seen. Maybe all their wood is straight grain and easy splitting....

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

For the record This is on page 3504 and the thread is up to3573. Everybody has been busy here Whilst I was preoccupied with company and an auction (57 th annual Firemens' consignment auction) Now to the bolt Query ,, In the 60s' and early 70s' white oak was bought by the bolt for splitting into barrel staves for whiskey. I was tied to the family sawmill but heard the normal odd conversations from the loggers and others about Bolts, splits and staves. Never actually did the work so conversations have gotten fuzzy.. LOOK SQUIRREL..
I am now going to jump forward in time (To page 3573) and see what kind of ripple affect this time delayed reply has caused.

Thanks for partially answering my question.

Thanks for partially answering my question.
I should watch a UTube video on whiskey barrels again. Been a long time ago. Maybe some trigger trippin will jumpstart a few more memories. There is something in the back of the mind of me wanting out about "Quarter splits and 32" long or ? .. You could split a Bolt or round to eliminate a knot or defect. Maybe "bolt" is the term used for a quarter split. As I said earlier I was always at the sawmill (yard) and this was heard through conversations and I never had any hands on learning. I do Know they required a fairly large Chunk of wood to utilize the quarter sawn grain in the staves. You got better pay or it was required to be split as that let the wood dry more uniformly from the heart out.

Split some of the oak I scrounged last spring still nice and wet . Have two more piles of rounds to go . Using the X27 so much easier and faster than bringing the splitter over and lifting each log not sure till I stack it but i was working it for 4 hours View attachment 976254View attachment 976255View attachment 976256View attachment 976257

That’s some good exercise, I use that same fiskers or my plumb doublebit for everything. I keep saying I’m gonna get a hydraulic splitter but until I can’t keep up I’m going the old fashioned way. Nice work and wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s some good exercise, I use that same fiskers or my plumb doublebit for everything. I keep saying I’m gonna get a hydraulic splitter but until I can’t keep up I’m going the old fashioned way. Nice work and wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like to mix up the routine. Oak by hand and the hickory some of the oak will go on the splitter if it dont bust after 4hits it goes to the side

Back