Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of the AB products, I prefer Busch. More flavor. And forget Bud Lite. Watered down flavor.
All US beers seem watered down to me. Bud is the most watery.
German and English beers seem strongest but our Canadian brands have some kick.
I don't drink a lot of it and never really have though.
I prefer a Caribbean amber Rum and Coke.

Finished product...
View attachment 973999
Now for some ice cream and maple syrup!:sweet:
We've got lots of Maple syrup tappers here near me in eastern Ontario, Canada. There are over 400. They have their own association since 1966, The Ontario Maple Syrup Association and tens of thousands of trees tapped.
Nothing like Quebec though. They make 70% of the world's maple syrup.
One of my favorites is a Family run place called Vader's Maple syrup from East Lake in Prince Edward County who has been making syrup and maple products since 1910. They make all types and have spots in all the local farmer's markets like the one in Kingston, Ontario. He also sells in local farm grocery stores as well as the Saphouse Store on site. His stuff is awesome and I always have some in my fridge for pancakes, waffles, oatmeal, and even cook it on bacon.
https://vadersmaple.ca/ It's yummy.

We've got lots of Maple syrup tappers here near me in eastern Ontario, Canada. There are over 400. They have their own association since 1966, The Ontario Maple Syrup Association and tens of thousands of trees tapped.
Nothing like Quebec though. They make 70% of the world's maple syrup.
One of my favorites is a Family run place called Vader's Maple syrup from East Lake in Prince Edward County who has been making syrup and maple products since 1910. They make all types and have spots in all the local farmer's markets like the one in Kingston, Ontario. He also sells in local farm grocery stores as well as the Saphouse Store on site. His stuff is awesome and I always have some in my fridge for pancakes, waffles, oatmeal, and even cook it on bacon.
https://vadersmaple.ca/ It's yummy.
How do you cook it on bacon, sounds great.
We'll be picking up a couple gallons within the next couple weeks.

He cut down another small Oak with the same bowsaw. Look at the teeth on the saw, there is a purple color to them? Maybe getting hot enough to burn the wood?
On cheap sawblades the manufacturers “induction harden“ the teeth to make them last longer, while keeping the body of the blade flexible so that it does not crack. This causes the teeth to typically turn blue.

The same method is used to harden the rails of laminated guide bars. If you sand the paint off of a new one, you will see a blue line running around the rails, that some folks assume is due to overheating by an under lubricated chain.

Philbert

Added to the roadside oak pile (there's a bit of ash on the pallet from the trees in the background).
Can't believe how much oak is out there. Been making cookies for a friend who does wood burning too.

IMG_E8274.JPG

Started tackling the ash pile near the splitter. Cranked up some Emerson, Lake & Palmer and started the show that never ends. Yes, that's the ice auger bit on top of the pile. Actually had a good season with plenty of ice.

IMG_8276.JPG

Rain came in so I called it a day with a nice stogie and few of my favorite brewski's.
IMG_8277.JPG

Hit the old house scrounge for the first time today. I only saw it from the distance and thought it was a B Locust, a birch and a grove of small willow. Holy Crap!! The birch is there but the grove of small willow turned out to be two HUUUGGGEE hardwood trees. I don't know what they are, never saw that kind before. Just starting to bud out, I'm guessing some kind of nut tree but not HVBW. When the leaves ae one I'll see if I can post a picture. I had estimated that the job would be 3 or 4 days. Hah. looks like most of the summer.

Spent the first hour just chopping a truck path through teh crap. One tree is about 6' DBH, the other 5'. Multiple stems grown together with huge limbs diverging about 6' from ground. Gonna be one big problem taking them apart. I don't know of anyone with a saw big enough to fell them and many of the limbs will require working frm the truck bed or a bucket loader. I'll do what I can and see how it works out, Biggest saw is MS441/32" The big tree will just laugh at it. .

Three hours today resulted in a truck access to the first tree and two big piles of brush. At least my conditioning seems to be coming back. At the end I thought about trimming another of the small brushy branches off the base but decided enough is enough for one day.

Looks like you will need new handles soon ... Shag Hickory works well!
If I keep running it heavy I might! These are just getting the patina I like though.
20220326_200406.jpg20220326_195451.jpg20220326_194501.jpg20220326_193458.jpg20220326_192515.jpg
This one turned out kind of neat as I worked around it with the Fiskars peeling off splits from the outside. Looks almost like it blew apart from a central explosives charge. If only...
20220326_192102.jpg

If I keep running it heavy I might! These are just getting the patina I like though.
View attachment 976558View attachment 976559View attachment 976560View attachment 976561View attachment 976562
This one turned out kind of neat as I worked around it with the Fiskars peeling off splits from the outside. Looks almost like it blew apart from a central explosives charge. If only...
View attachment 976563
Looks like a very productive day for you.
I've been really focused on the grading around the barn, want to make the most of the early spring weather and get as much done before the mosquitoes start up and work starts kicking in, I'll be putting the roto tiller on the little kubota here in no time at all. I need to get some grass seed on some of it next week, not that I want more to mow, I just don't want to see my hard work all washed away.
Since it's not getting above freezing tomorrow I may head out to the woods and grab some black locust :sweet:. Looks like I will have a full 2 rows left in the woodshed after the burning seaside from this yrs side. So I'll need 6 more than what I've put in there(3 rows I've put in already this yr) to have it 100% loaded for 23/24.

Back