Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve, I have LOTS of genuine Black Walnut stain for you any time you want to start making and selling them!

Works fine indoors.
I don't want to cut in on @dancan. I think Mrs FS would get pi$$ed if I cut down the blue spruce in the front yard.

Scrounged up some oak and beech today from the log pile that I had near the woods driveway. It was 27 for a high today and the ground was pretty firm so I backed the van close. I took out the MS362CM and the MS180. Since I replaced the fuel solenoid on the MS362 so it idles it has quickly become my favorite all around saw.
Here's a nice pile in the van.
20220327_171847.jpg
The rest of the beech bucked up and waiting.
20220327_171837.jpg
Kids, this is how baby Stihls are made.:innocent:
20220327_171831.jpg

that was three days worth of backache , lol . I ran the 555 with a 20 in the 12-15 inch oak and it was a blast ! No hot restart issues at all and she oiled the chain nicely .
I feel for you on the back ache :rare2:, hopefully it will help strengthen it for the next round:muscle:.
Those saws handle great, and sip fuel for a 60cc saw, and they rev up quick too. I like that they take the small bar vs the large on the 562, it's one of the reasons I don't have a 562, if I'm going to run a 562 with a large mount I may as well run a 462 as the weight is almost the same, although I prefer the handling of the huskys.
Glad you had no hot start issues. Not sure I said it here, but last week I was running one of my late model 550 mk1's and it had a problem starting, my mind went to the hot start issue after pulling on it about 10 times, then I realized it was out of fuel :laugh:.

Today's spoils below. I did get 6 undocumented loads to the stacks with my helpers doing 3 each (so maybe 3 or 4 of my loads total.) They actually did a really good job stacking so they must be paying attention when maybe I feel like they aren't. :numberone:
View attachment 976840View attachment 976841View attachment 976842View attachment 976843View attachment 976844
Is that black locust :sweet:, and honey locust I see:blob2:.
Hope that honey splits nice for you if that's what it is :chop:. You may want to cut a piece and try it, and if it's difficult to split just cut them a bit shorter.

Is that black locust :sweet:, and honey locust I see:blob2:.
Hope that honey splits nice for you if that's what it is :chop:. You may want to cut a piece and try it, and if it's difficult to split just cut them a bit shorter.
Neither locust in those loads. Cottonwood and brown mystery wood - I'm not sure what it it's, but wouldn't mind knowing as I have a fair amount of it. It's straight grained, a bit stringy but splits OK with the Fiskars. It seems fairly heavy. The bark is rough and is also stringy. Some looks to have bugs in the cambium like EAB.

I do have some honey locust in the piles and it splits pretty good except the knots and curvilinear pieces.

Neither locust in those loads. Cottonwood and brown mystery wood - I'm not sure what it it's, but wouldn't mind knowing as I have a fair amount of it. It's straight grained, a bit stringy but splits OK with the Fiskars. It seems fairly heavy. The bark is rough and is also stringy. Some looks to have bugs in the cambium like EAB.

I do have some honey locust in the piles and it splits pretty good except the knots and curvilinear pieces.
On the ground :).
Looks like the other could be elm, but I can't see it very well, also elm is usually pretty twisted in the grain and stringy.

Mostly just putting Ponderosa Pine through the old Earth Stove. It's not the cleanest burning wood out there, but between my own trees and other people's removals, I have a never ending supply of it.
View attachment 976858
One of the guys from the church has the same unit, we were talking about it last night just a few hrs before you posted that lol.
He said he puts some quite large rounds in there for overnights and when they are leaving for a bit.
He just had a chimney fire about a month ago :surprised3:. The neighbor stopped over to tell him and had called the fire dept, my buddy tossed a road flare in the stove to extinguish it, it was out by the time the FD arrived. He's over 80, just had 100 trees harvested off his land this winter and he's cutting all the tops. He runs a battery saw, a husky 61, and a dolmar 7900, and just picked up an efco 62cc(not sure what model), great guy :).

One of the guys from the church has the same unit, we were talking about it last night just a few hrs before you posted that lol.
He said he puts some quite large rounds in there for overnights and when they are leaving for a bit.
He just had a chimney fire about a month ago :surprised3:. The neighbor stopped over to tell him and had called the fire dept, my buddy tossed a road flare in the stove to extinguish it, it was out by the time the FD arrived. He's over 80, just had 100 trees harvested off his land this winter and he's cutting all the tops. He runs a battery saw, a husky 61, and a dolmar 7900, and just picked up an efco 62cc(not sure what model), great guy :).
How does the road flare work to put out the fire?

I think it uses all the oxygen, which snuffs it out.
I offered to help him clean his chimney, he said his wife can get it just fine :laugh: (he was joking). He didn't want help, very independent old fart, seems that's why he's still kicking :).

When I cut those I tie baler twine around them before I cut them. Makes cleanup easy. I did a couple last week but don't remember if I used the 241 or 261.:chainsaw:

That’s pretty much what I did, I used a rope with a bowline on one end, cinch it up and cut with the 261. My neighbors burn them, but mine are under my power lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My big brother is a firefighter. First thing they try is a half mug of water thrown on the fire in the stove. Water expands so much as it turns to steam, that little bit of water can be enough stream to suffocate the chimney fire.

Back