Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dancan

dancan

Spruce , The preferred wood of the Purgatory !
. AS Supporting Member.
665731-b5a742590d0f28bfa27e09347d1fd4f9.data

That's a pretty pic (of a nice scrounge of course) !

GrizG

GrizG

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Spalted Maple, that is the name I was trying to remember!

https://www.rarewoodsusa.com/species/maple-spalted/
PencilBoxes09a.jpg

PencilBoxes11a.jpg

The sliding lids on the two keepsake boxes are spalted curly maple. The long sides are curly maple and the short sides are walnut. The boxes are put together with half-blind handcut dovetails where the thin end of the pin is a Lie-Nielson dovetail saw kerf wide.

Below them are half-trunks that I made for my sons. The main box is pine that is put together with handcut through dovetails. One is trimmed with white oak and the other with red oak.

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
Managed to scrounge up some asphalt millings for the new accessory drive, it goes to my cutting/splitting/pile/logs storage area :).
It was actually quite the scrounge as our local guy for asphalt millings marked all his piles as sold this week :oops:, he supplies quite a few guys, so now everyone is trying to figure out what they are going to do as they were counting on his pricing with no extra driving. It's going to add $75 per load, for guys doing large commercial jobs, that adds up very quick making my 5-7 loads look like child's play, still sucks to me :yes:.
Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 9.47.35 PM.png

dancan

dancan

. AS Supporting Member.
Managed to scrounge up some asphalt millings for the new accessory drive, it goes to my cutting/splitting/pile/logs storage area :).
It was actually quite the scrounge as our local guy for asphalt millings marked all his piles as sold this week :oops:, he supplies quite a few guys, so now everyone is trying to figure out what they are going to do as they were counting on his pricing with no extra driving. It's going to add $75 per load, for guys doing large commercial jobs, that adds up very quick making my 5-7 loads look like child's play, still sucks to me :yes:.
View attachment 981547

Looks like you made a nice scrounge after you scrounged all the firewood that was scrounge-able before you spread that scrounge over the firewood scrounging ground !
You scrounge 2 extra tires for that fine firewood scrounging machine that you scrounged all these years for to be able to get ?

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
Looks like you made a nice scrounge after you scrounged all the firewood that was scrounge-able before you spread that scrounge over the firewood scrounging ground !
You scrounge 2 extra tires for that fine firewood scrounging machine that you scrounged all these years for to be able to get ?
Yes I did on both accounts 😆.
Now I need to find a better scrounge on the rest of the millings.
Here's the scrounged wood splits that I'll be selling this yr, pretty sure most of it is spoken for. I hope to start delivering it next week.
The area where the sand is in this picture and to the left is where I just put the millings, now I need enough to cover the rest and all the way to the house and in front of the house.
If you look close you can see where I store the rest of my scrounged wood past the house on the left in the scrounged wood woodshed.
20220413_081739.jpg

JustJeff

JustJeff

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
The Greene County Firewood Ministry arose out of two local churches discovering that they were both cutting firewood for the disadvantaged. I am not sure when they actually got together. I started helping them around 2008 or 2009. At the time, they were unincorporated and working on Saturdays out of the remains of an old practice bomb manufacturing plant. Much of the wood was scrounged; most of which was cut to firewood length in the field and brought to the woodlot on modified single and double axle landscape trailers. At the woodlot, the wood was split using a variety of hydraulic splitters. The wood was delivered using the same trailers. Recipients were pre-qualified through the local food bank. At the time approximately 300 trailer loads were delivered each season which ran from October through April. The intake pretty much matched the demand so there was little to no stockpiles (or time to season). In 2011, the ministry was incorporated.

As time progressed, many partners joined in the endeavor. Local churches provided breakfast and lunch, a local industry loaned a skid steer, the sheriff provided inmates, the city provided a roll-off for the worthless uglies, tree services dropped off wood, various business provided goods and services free or at a reduced cost, various groups brought in volunteers to work for a Saturday. It all meshed for mutual benefit. Inmates got fresh air and home cooked meals with some good folks, the government got a reduction in the wood load at the landfill, volunteer groups had a new project to gather around, tree services got a convenient in-town location to drop off wood, and lots of folks were kept warm. As the need began to grow, the ministry began to upgrade the landscape trailers to dump trailers. Among other things, this allowed folks in their 70s and 80s to deliver wood. It also saved labor on the intake end. A skid steer splitter attachment was acquired to splitter biger stuff in to quarters. Splitters were upgraded to SuperSplits with some initial assistance from the manufacturer. Additional skid steers were added with skeleton buckets. And the demand continued to grow.

Then came Covid - no more inmates, no home cooked meals and far fewer volunteers. The ministry responded to Covid by seeking additional funding sources and using the funds to further mechanize with a core group of volunteers working essentially full time year round – they are affectionately known as the Filthy Few. We now have 4 wood processors with conveyors, more skid steers, a Kubota compact tractor with forks, and a new facility lent to us. As of February, the ministry was serving 349 families and had delivered over 1800 loads in the 21/22 season. Due to the dangers and liability concerns, the ministry doesn’t fell trees. That task is usually offered to me. If I believe it is reasonable safe and productive, I try to accommodate the tree owner.

With Covid declining, a few more volunteers are appearing and some food is returning.

Ron

View attachment 981458
View attachment 981459
View attachment 981460View attachment 981462
View attachment 981466
I like that. What a great thing to be part of!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

dancan

dancan

. AS Supporting Member.
Big sky day here going to 65 , off to go cut down some trees .
Free scrounge if anyone wants to come over , some fir and SPRUCE , I'll cut you load .
I have to be careful not to complain so I don't break the rules so I don't get banned .
That is a fact , not a complaint .

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
Big sky day here going to 65 , off to go cut down some trees .
Free scrounge if anyone wants to come over , some fir and SPRUCE , I'll cut you load, BYOWB !
Fixed :rolleyes::lol:.
I have to be careful not to complain so I don't break the rules so I don't get banned .
That is a fact , not a complaint .

:sucks:

pdqdl

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
. AS Supporting Member.
I agree with the highlighted area. I made a post in another thread about it (that you didn't like) and you deleted my sig because I didn't do it as fast as you thought i should. It was Christmas eve and Christmas day BTW . I won't disclose that pm because it' s against the rules. I've been an upstanding member with no infractions and try to help the forum in preventing scammers,spammers,and whatnots. I wasn't ask to be a a moderator the same time as you for no reason. Don't ever call me a liar again!!!!
Back to scrounging fellas.

Yes. You are a fine member, one of the best. Feel free to post any private message I sent you. Just do it in it's entirety.

pdqdl

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
. AS Supporting Member.
Actually they were in a thread that was subsequently permanently deleted due to one of the crybabies who had the ear of Mrs A shortly prior to the sale so that’s why there’s no record of it.

Don’t forget, I was a mod here and chose to step away because the previous owners wouldn’t remove the cancer(s) from the site.

For your sake, I’m glad the new owners actually allow the moderators to moderate. But obviously when posts get deleted people are going to be unhappy-right or wrong.

I cannot say whether or not that would be possible. If that is the case, I apologize for any misunderstanding and errors on my part.

If you were a moderator, then you probably recall the rather stern policy regarding criticizing moderation in the public forum.

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
If you were a moderator, then you probably recall the rather stern policy regarding criticizing moderation in the public forum.
Yeah, but what if the mod is calling people liars and won't do the very thing he expects others to do.
By the way, I'm not criticizing the moderation; but rather, the moderator.
Yes. You are a fine member, one of the best. Feel free to post any private message I sent you. Just do it in it's entirety.
How about you just say sorry.
You're the one talking about just being nice or something like that in other threads.
Edit: Oh yeah why did you edit your post to Steve 😆.

I cannot say whether or not that would be possible. If that is the case, I apologize for any misunderstanding and errors on my part.

Xenforo has a lot of cool features, many of which were (unfortunately) not utilized by the previous owners.

When they stripped the mods of many of the actual moderator powers, they were very limited as what they could do. It’s like someone telling you to clean up a liquid spill with a shop broom…

Latest posts