Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning guys. Beautiful day here, my middle son has his drivers test this afternoon so hopefully we will pass. Knock on wood he’s a very good driver although he has to use my truck for the test because we weren’t able to rent a car from the drivers school. The truck is fine but the only issue is the parallel parking is fairly tight with a larger vehicle. Unfortunately my older single cab trucks are a little bit too shoddy to bring on a drivers test lol

Went to my BIL's yesterday to "till his garden", turned into a grading job :oops:.
The reason some of it needed grading is he just bought a semi load of coal and drove on some of the yard with a skytrack to get it to the chute.
Figured you guys would enjoy the picture of 40,000 lbs of coal in his basement. He said he wants to get two more lol, no time for scrounging wood as he's only getting 2 days off a month.

20220510_193839.jpg

Here's the garden.

20220510_193641.jpg

Went to my BIL's yesterday to "till his garden", turned into a grading job :oops:.
The reason some of it needed grading is he just bought a semi load of coal and drove on some of the yard with a skytrack to get it to the chute.
Figured you guys would enjoy the picture of 40,000 lbs of coal in his basement. He said he wants to get two more lol, no time for scrounging wood as he's only getting 2 days off a month.

View attachment 987478

Here's the garden.

View attachment 987479
That's quite a few btus!:blob2:
I could heat my house for 10-12 years with that. I call that inflation protection.

Went to the range yesterday to sight in my daughter's new rifle. She is a lefty, so she could not get a Ruger American Rifle in 30-06 like mine.

They are available in 308, but hard to find. A Predator model became available, so we got it. It has the green stock (instead of black) and a heavier barrel (1/2 lb).

I only had 6 once fired brass for the 308 that I glommed at the fish + game club, but it was enough to sight it in (3 shots at 25 yds, 3 at 100).

I was very impressed with how well the gun shot. I moved the scope setting each time at 100 yds (Vortex 3 X 9 X 40) and put the last shot right in the center of the bull.

When I brought the target home and measured the holes, and factored in my scope adjustments, it seems like it is making 1 hole groups at 100 yds with FL sized brass!

I ran the spent shells through the full size die (Lee) again when I got home, and they did not grow at all! The chamber and dies must be a real close match!

Used Rem brass, CCI primers, 44 gr of IMR 4064 and 165 grain Rem (bulk purchased) bullets.

Very disappointed there seems to be no (non military) brass available for purchase, but loaded ammo is available!

Went to the range yesterday to sight in my daughter's new rifle. She is a lefty, so she could not get a Ruger American Rifle in 30-06 like mine.

They are available in 308, but hard to find. A Predator model became available, so we got it. It has the green stock (instead of black) and a heavier barrel (1/2 lb).

I only had 6 once fired brass for the 308 that I glommed at the fish + game club, but it was enough to sight it in (3 shots at 25 yds, 3 at 100).

I was very impressed with how well the gun shot. I moved the scope setting each time at 100 yds (Vortex 3 X 9 X 40) and put the last shot right in the center of the bull.

When I brought the target home and measured the holes, and factored in my scope adjustments, it seems like it is making 1 hole groups at 100 yds with FL sized brass!

I ran the spent shells through the full size die (Lee) again when I got home, and they did not grow at all! The chamber and dies must be a real close match!

Used Rem brass, CCI primers, 44 gr of IMR 4064 and 165 grain Rem (bulk purchased) bullets.

Very disappointed there seems to be no (non military) brass available for purchase, but loaded ammo is available!
Seen plenty of hunting ammo available, but I can make 4-6 shots(at .40-.60) for the price of one round of "hunting" (at 2-3 dollars)green stock ADL 308 has no problem with surplus at hundred yrds, might even go 500 ;).
Sounds like she got a nice tool for sure, and what's not to like about a vortex optic :).

That's quite a few btus!:blob2:
I could heat my house for 10-12 years with that. I call that inflation protection.
For sure. He said it makes good sense for him with working so many hrs. Even if he bought wood the coal is still cheaper and it gives much longer burn times, which helps him keep it going all day vs wood.
I think people are in for a world of hurt if they think the price of heating or fuels in general will be moving much at all. There's a good chance it could go down(from wherever it gets up to in the next few months) before the elections, but it certainly won't stay "lower" long, at least that's my prediction based on what I see. Funding a war by supporting Ukraine at the initial cost of 40 billion (I don't approve of btw) won't help things here at all.
He said this should last him 7-8yrs, not a bad price for that much heat now or down the rd.

Hey Mike, are you interested in any .348 brass at a buck a piece? Pm me if you are. I stumbled across some and can grab them if they are still available.

For sure. He said it makes good sense for him with working so many hrs. Even if he bought wood the coal is still cheaper and it gives much longer burn times, which helps him keep it going all day vs wood.
I think people are in for a world of hurt if they think the price of heating or fuels in general will be moving much at all. There's a good chance it could go down(from wherever it gets up to in the next few months) before the elections, but it certainly won't stay "lower" long, at least that's my prediction based on what I see. Funding a war by supporting Ukraine at the initial cost of 40 billion (I don't approve of btw) won't help things here at all.
He said this should last him 7-8yrs, not a bad price for that much heat now or down the rd.
7-8 years, that’s awesome!!

I have more than I can use in my lifetime, but I'm going to give MechanicMatt and his sister your note, they may want some.
I’m sure I’ll hear from him. Also-When I heard his sister had a model 71 I didn’t have a GF so I asked if I could date her but have been told she’s taken. ;)

Nate , sorry about your loss, I'll tip a glass in his honor tonight .

Nate , a glass has been tipped .
Thanks Dan

Recent snow mostly melted so made some more progress on wood pile at momsC891FE44-35E1-4504-A823-CB49F67D1F35.jpegSplitting by hand with the Fiskars is the best therapy but anytime spent working on firewood is therapeutic.

Check with local ranges if you need brass. No reason they shouldn't be willing to sell some to you since most patrons toss it into the brass bucket. Our local range sells it by the pound. Primers, on the other hand, are still extremely difficult to find around here.

Latest posts

Back