Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Splitting today, for a couple of hours before it gets too hot, to reclaim my driveway. I've been wanting to make a rack or wings to hold the splits after they come off the splitter. So I don't have to constantly pick them off the ground and to hold a piece in case it needs to be split again. You know what I'm talking about. I need a design and lots of pics. Not smart enough to come up with one on my own and why re-invent the wheel. Theoretically I'd like it one or two sided that just drops on into place and is held there by the weight. Or by some clamping method. Want it removable. Any ideas?

Was getting some oak dragged out today . This was the last one of 12 and wouldn’t you know I hurt myself . Not with the log or equipment . I stepped wrong and went down the embankment . Didn’t fall but smacked my right foot big toe into a boulder . Saw stars and had to sit down . Was able to walk and finish the drag out but called it a day . Not broken just stubbed/jammed it bad it’s turning black and blue now 3 hours later. I’ll be taking it easy for the next few days
View attachment 987151View attachment 987152View attachment 987153

Another reminder that what we do is dangerous... and the saws are only part of it! Speedy recovery!

Thanks Dan

Recent snow mostly melted so made some more progress on wood pile at momsView attachment 987600Splitting by hand with the Fiskars is the best therapy but anytime spent working on firewood is therapeutic.
Playing catch up here... Sorry for your loss. Best wishes that good memories persist.

I’m sure I’ll hear from him. Also-When I heard his sister had a model 71 I didn’t have a GF so I asked if I could date her but have been told she’s taken. ;)
I lost a friend and former co-worker a few years back who had a large gun collection. The "good stuff" was in a huge walk in vault... many 100s of guns in that vault ranging from 300+ year old flint locks to sub-guns, all of them collectable. Probably that many more in his home gunsmith shop and safes. Some years after he died his wife remarried. The new husband has no interest in guns! I have to assume he really loves that woman! She is a terrific woman so I cannot blame him for that... ;)

You can get both RM and RS in anti kickback(green) or professional grade(yellow). RM is semi chisel, RS is full chisel.
I'd be the first to admit, I know nothing about chains. I just buy the Stihl green chain (don't have the number handy). This is what I've got. I've been calling it a Full Chisel or RS chain. Could be wrong. May nt even be a Stihl chain. I think I got it as part of the packaged deal on the ill-fated MS046 I bought. I think the guy just stuck it in a Stihl box. Also, I have trouble inserting a 7/32nds file into the gullet while sharpening. Seems like the hook on the depth gauge is too much.
IMG_1073.jpgIMG_1074.jpgIMG_1075.jpg

I'd be the first to admit, I know nothing about chains. I just buy the Stihl green chain (don't have the number handy). This is what I've got. I've been calling it a Full Chisel or RS chain. Could be wrong. May nt even be a Stihl chain. I think I got it as part of the packaged deal on the ill-fated MS046 I bought. I think the guy just stuck it in a Stihl box. Also, I have trouble inserting a 7/32nds file into the gullet while sharpening. Seems like the hook on the depth gauge is too much.
View attachment 987665View attachment 987666View attachment 987667
Looks like RS to me(or a copy), certainly not a "green" chain. Probably an older version as it doesn't have the raised heel near the back rivet that helps with vibration.
Many times when a chain is new the file will be a little tight, after you touch it up once they fit much better.

Splitting today, for a couple of hours before it gets too hot, to reclaim my driveway. I've been wanting to make a rack or wings to hold the splits after they come off the splitter. So I don't have to constantly pick them off the ground and to hold a piece in case it needs to be split again. You know what I'm talking about. I need a design and lots of pics. Not smart enough to come up with one on my own and why re-invent the wheel. Theoretically I'd like it one or two sided that just drops on into place and is held there by the weight. Or by some clamping method. Want it removable. Any ideas?
I've always liked the look of the ones that you can buy for a super split. There are others that are similar, but instead of sheet metal they are tunes, which is nice because the trash would fall thru, but I don't think the splits would slide as well.

I lost a friend and former co-worker a few years back who had a large gun collection. The "good stuff" was in a huge walk in vault... many 100s of guns in that vault ranging from 300+ year old flint locks to sub-guns, all of them collectable. Probably that many more in his home gunsmith shop and safes. Some years after he died his wife remarried. The new husband has no interest in guns! I have to assume he really loves that woman! She is a terrific woman so I cannot blame him for that... ;)
So is she just keeping all of the guns then?

So is she just keeping all of the guns then?
The last I knew they were all there except the Class III stuff which are being held by a friend of his who is a Class III dealer. Like another friend of mine with a large collection, they are part of the retirement savings and will likely be liquidated as needed.

Pfff! There's good here with more that that in CSS, with their own sweat, firewood. @turnkey4099 must have twice that! 🏆🏆🏆
I dunno. I'm down to around 60 cord Black Locust and maybe 15 of assorted "junk" wood. Not keeping up like I used to.

Was wooding today working on a huge maple when the thought struck me. At my age it is likely that I will not get the pleasure of burning the stuff. I burn 6-7 cord/yr and sell 6 cord. I may cut that last customer down to 3 cord next year. He cries bitter tears that I will only sell him willow and the like.

Looks like RS to me(or a copy), certainly not a "green" chain. Probably an older version as it doesn't have the raised heel near the back rivet that helps with vibration.
Many times when a chain is new the file will be a little tight, after you touch it up once they fit much better.
Yes, it's probably a copy. Doesn't Stihl have the word 'Stihl' stamped on the DLs of every chain?

I've always liked the look of the ones that you can buy for a super split. There are others that are similar, but instead of sheet metal they are tunes, which is nice because the trash would fall thru, but I don't think the splits would slide as well.
Not sure what you call them so I can look them up. What are they called?

The load that started it all. This came up on my memories. I remember the 2 minute cuts with the poulan and vanguard chain... Got on arboristsite and next thing I knew I had a muffler modded machine running Stihl rs....and tested positive for CAD!
I don't think there is a cure. Are you currently under some kind of treatment to keep the disease at bay?

Latest posts

Back