Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember ‘Meijer’s Thrifty Acres’ from many years ago. First store I saw where you could checkout with a sheet of plywood, a frozen turkey, and a pair of jeans in the same lane. And I did!

We have Fresh Thyme Markets here, which are owned by Meijer, and has about 70 stores across 11 states. Kinda has a Trader Joe’s type feel.

Philbert
Yep, that's the one.
I'm jealous, we can't buy plywood there lol.
After all the work, then the turkey, you need/deserve a new pair of pants :laugh:.
They use the fresh time for the deli areas, but I'm not familiar with a store with that name, but that sounds nice. I guess WW has a reason to be concerned about their growth, hope they can catch and surpass them :).

Love the Meijer stores. One of our favorites when we get Stateside from the great white north. We have as much fun grocery shopping as anything. You wouldn't think it would be that different just across the bridge but we pick up all the things we can't get here. My kids are 17 to 27 now but I'm still dad of the year when I show up with a bag of coco dinobites! Can you believe we don't have those in Canada?

I'm still dad of the year when I show up with a bag of coco dinobites! Can you believe we don't have those in Canada?
Used to bring Coffee Crisps home from Canada, along with a few other things we couldn’t get here. Used to be easier crossing the border.

Philbert

Not much time for cutting lately but still picking up a few firewooding items. 3 running gears for future log wagons. I got a flat rack to just for the running gear. Also bought a burnt out OWB. Same model as the one I already have so I'll air test it and if it's decent I'll strip the insulation off it and replace everything burnable on it for a spare. $120 was the bid so if it leaks the scrap price will pay for it. Crazy that it cost $100 in fuel for the round trip to pick it up and drop off at work. Too heavy for my poor tractor. My wife bought a new pole saw, I took it to work one day to cut a couple of limbs. Gone it bound up on the first big branch. She was not impressed. My son bought the kids a RZR so I had to built a smaller track for it and the E bikes.

Attachments

• 20220506_104113.jpg
    20220506_104113.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220521_171017.jpg
    20220521_171017.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220521_170617.jpg
    20220521_170617.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220514_112141.jpg
    20220514_112141.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220514_175343.jpg
    20220514_175343.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Not much time for cutting lately but still picking up a few firewooding items. 3 running gears for future log wagons. I got a flat rack to just for the running gear. Also bought a burnt out OWB. Same model as the one I already have so I'll air test it and if it's decent I'll strip the insulation off it and replace everything burnable on it for a spare. $120 was the bid so if it leaks the scrap price will pay for it. Crazy that it cost $100 in fuel for the round trip to pick it up and drop off at work. Too heavy for my poor tractor. My wife bought a new pole saw, I took it to work one day to cut a couple of limbs. Gone it bound up on the first big branch. She was not impressed. My son bought the kids a RZR so I had to built a smaller track for it and the E bikes.
I missed out on an 8' running gear that would have made a perfect trailer for me. But the farmer tossed it on a scrap metal pile and trashed the front axle. Before I could figure out how to make a single axle log hauler, he sent it to the scrap yard. Too late.

Caught up on a pile of roadside oak. My wife and I then stopped at a yard sale up the road. An old gentleman who I had only spoken with a few times over the years passed and his son's were selling off some of his stuff.
IMG_9184.JPG

There were a bunch of older Craftsman saws, but nothing really worth me putting time into. There was so much stuff! I ended up grabbing these three top handle saws. So far, the 110 runs pissah and the Sears will need new fuel lines, but fired with a wee bit of gas in the carb. We picked up the saws and a bunch of unused garden tools for $80. Not too bad.

IMG_9185.JPG

I was thinking more about you. Didn't know if you had a two wheel wheel barrow yet :laugh: .
I can't tell you how many times I've tipped over a single wheel.
Scarfed a nice two wheel off CL, used it about twice, and sold it on. Guess if you never need to go on a side hill it'd be OK.

I was thinking more about you. Didn't know if you had a two wheel wheel barrow yet :laugh: .
I can't tell you how many times I've tipped over a single wheel.
I knew that! LOL

I don't have a 2 wheeler and I'm not sure I need/want one yet. Rarely do I tip a load over, mostly when loading if I do.

My dad converted his single to a dual, but he's older than me. LOL

Upgrading my equipment with my latest scrounge. Not wood, but a two-wheeled wheel barrow. Plastic tub (I hate plastic) is cracked beyond use, the tires need air and the metal is rusting. I've got a spare slightly cracked tub that I'll swap out until I find another metal one (I found one before). Paint and air and it'll be good as new. I hope I'm not making a certain person jealous.
View attachment 991815
Finished splitting all of the recent Cherry I got.
You can zip tye the cracks to get more life and use strips of ply wood to splice broken handel's. Every now and then a zip tye or two will snap and need replacing. This one has had a spliced handle and zipped up cracks for four or five years now and hauled a lot of wood in that time. It's a total of 16 years old. Been stored outside all it's life. I live on the coast, so the salt air eats up metal tubs in a few years unless stored in a heated shop or garage. Just thought I'd mention some ways to repair your plastic tub if you want a bit more use out of it. 👍IMG_20220529_234659284.jpgIMG_20220529_234731215.jpg

You can zip tye the cracks to get more life and use strips of ply wood to splice broken handel's...... Just thought I'd mention some ways to repair your plastic tub if you want a bit more use out of it. 👍
The photo doesn't show it, but the tub is not only cracked at the top, but the bottom as well. Chunks are missing as well. Beyond repair. Besides, I have another plastic tub that I repaired with a 3/4" piece of plywood on the bottom. Easier to swap out. Handles are metal.

Latest posts

Back