Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can zip tye the cracks to get more life and use strips of ply wood to splice broken handel's. Every now and then a zip tye or two will snap and need replacing. This one has had a spliced handle and zipped up cracks for four or five years now and hauled a lot of wood in that time. It's a total of 16 years old. Been stored outside all it's life. I live on the coast, so the salt air eats up metal tubs in a few years unless stored in a heated shop or garage. Just thought I'd mention some ways to repair your plastic tub if you want a bit more use out of it. 👍

And I thought I was the only one. :innocent:Used 1/4" flat stock on my repair. A few years back I was carrying too much wood and it was on the ground before I realized what happened. I was going to buy new handles but the reviews for handles at HD were horrible, and then I started thinking about all of the bolts I needed to break to get the old handles off.
Recently I mentioned that I have a True Temper but I just realized when taking pics that there are no marks on it anymore. It was my dad's and he always bought quality, so it still might be. I got it from him around 1982 so he must have bought it in the 70's or maybe 60's. Not sure why the handles are worn unevenly.

P5300046.JPGP5300045.JPGP5300043.JPGP5300044.JPGP5300048.JPGP5300049.JPG

The heck with wheelbarrow repair pics - how about some more workin' pics! :lol: Just kidding - I :heart: the budget repairs that I have come to expect out of guys in the scrounging thread. :numberone:
20220530_094425.jpg20220530_092306.jpg20220530_085206.jpg20220530_082159.jpg20220530_080424.jpg
I did tip the last pic when I stacked completely off the front of the load. I guess 3 splits ended up on the ground, so not too bad to pick up.
20220530_081300.jpg
And I found a few tiny leaves growing on a round of my mystery wood from several weeks back. @MustangMike are you buying those as chestnut oak as you suggested? It may not confirm that, but it sure confirms it ain't black walnut. (The splits are in pic 2.)
20220530_090152.jpg

Wheelbarrow repair (more like rescue from the dead)!

Synthetic T-111 to strengthen the pan, chainsaw milled Shag Hickory handles, and a hard tire!

This thing has done a lot of work, and as you can see, it has hauled concrete! (also, rocks, gravel, wood, brush, blocks, whatever!).

Attachments

• IMG_20220526_154403042_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220526_154403042_HDR.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220530_100707252_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220530_100707252_HDR.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220530_100714074_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220530_100714074_HDR.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
And I thought I was the only one. :innocent:Used 1/4" flat stock on my repair. A few years back I was carrying too much wood and it was on the ground before I realized what happened. I was going to buy new handles but the reviews for handles at HD were horrible, and then I started thinking about all of the bolts I needed to break to get the old handles off.
Recently I mentioned that I have a True Temper but I just realized when taking pics that there are no marks on it anymore. It was my dad's and he always bought quality, so it still might be. I got it from him around 1982 so he must have bought it in the 70's or maybe 60's. Not sure why the handles are worn unevenly.

View attachment 991965View attachment 991966View attachment 991967View attachment 991968View attachment 991969View attachment 991970
Your steel flat stock splice with nuts and bolts looks a little more professional than my plywood splice with wood screws and roofing screws! 😂 But hey! Whatever works right?👍

Wheelbarrow repair (more like rescue from the dead)!

Synthetic T-111 to strengthen the pan, chainsaw milled Shag Hickory handles, and a hard tire!

This thing has done a lot of work, and as you can see, it has hauled concrete! (also, rocks, gravel, wood, brush, blocks, whatever!).
Bringing wheel barrows back from the dead is awesome!!! 👍 I use the hard tires on my yellow "Frankenstien" dually too! 😂

The heck with wheelbarrow repair pics - how about some more workin' pics! :lol: Just kidding - I :heart: the budget repairs that I have come to expect out of guys in the scrounging thread. :numberone:
View attachment 991990View attachment 991991View attachment 991993View attachment 991994View attachment 991996
I did tip the last pic when I stacked completely off the front of the load. I guess 3 splits ended up on the ground, so not too bad to pick up.
View attachment 991995
And I found a few tiny leaves growing on a round of my mystery wood from several weeks back. @MustangMike are you buying those as chestnut oak as you suggested? It may not confirm that, but it sure confirms it ain't black walnut. (The splits are in pic 2.)
View attachment 991992
Wheel barrow repairs pics "ARE" work pics! 👍😂😂😂

Good afternoon fellows. Had a great day of cleaning the garage yesterday and doing a bunch of other random projects… Went outside around 10 AM and except for dinner worked till three in the morning. Little tired today but it was worth it to get so much done. I went to the memorial day parade in a little town by my house and then grabbed McDonald’s and came back home. Resting a bit now and I need to go change oil on my truck. Also need to change my sons oil and teach him how to do it.

Here's a pic of me burning the gas out of the 660 on some little stuff.View attachment 992045
😍 Nice to see the kevlar saw protection! 👍 Wish more people wore it while running power saw's! I never run my saws with out it! I have the inside the pant leg insert style myself.

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

Another wet day. 2rd in a row. I was kinda looking forward to taking a few easy days from wooding.

Saturday I spent 4 hours on the willow bush clean up. 4 hours of nothing but cut/stack brush and only saw one small limb that I will get about 4 rounds off of next trip. I am looking at a fairly big, horizontal log back in the brush that may be good. Basically I am on that job only to be having something to do but I keep coming across some that is still good.

Yesterday I moved 3 wagon loads each into the wood shed and back porch - a start on the next season's supply. I alternate a load of locust with a load of willow in both places. It is NOT one of my favorite parts of wooding so I work at it a bit at a time. By the time fall comes the back porch has 4+ cords and the woodshed the 3 cord +. That usually last me. This year not so much. We had an easy winter but the heating season refuses to end. I'm still burning the stove 24/7.

Repeating the 'stock the porch/woodshed today. Then play catchup on the 'to be sharped nail'

Evaluated my stash this morning. I promised my customer 6 cord willow next year and 3 the year after. I may have to renege on the 3 cord bit. I'm not finiding a good cutting spot anymore so I need to conserve for my own use.

The old house scrounge is about over. Trees there are Maple, probably soft, red maple. I have the smaller one down to the butt end, a real monster. About 6' long and 3' diameter composed of several separtate stems fused together. 441 and long bars are going to get a workout.

OK what good is having a scale on the side of the oil with no site . It’s ok when I mix 2 gallons at a time but I need to mix a gallon . The older bottles had the site window . Now I have to use the measuring cup for epoxy . Which I’ll have to replace oil and epoxy don’t mix well. View attachment 990941View attachment 990942
I don't run Stihl or Husky mix. I use a different oil, and buy it by the quart and I mix five gallons at a time. I use a Ratio Right or Seasence mixing bottle. If your LSS (Local Saw Shop) dosent sell mixing cups? You can most definitely pick one up at a dirt bike dealership. Like Sean D said. Be the last and only oil mixing cup you'll ever need or use!👍IMG_20220530_100527777_HDR.jpg

Hotter then chestnuts on an open fire right now. I had ambition till I got home from work lol. Still need to put the ac units in the windows, but it's still pretty cool over night and the house stays decent if you open the windows over night and close them in the morning. I'm hoping I can get the loader finished up for the kubota this coming weekend. Really putting a damper on my wood MOJO recently lol. Hope everyone is doing well. Cheers.n

I don't run Stihl or Husky mix. I use a different oil, and buy it by the quart and I mix five gallons at a time. I use a Ratio Right or Seasence mixing bottle. If your LSS (Local Saw Shop) dosent sell mixing cups? You can most definitely pick one up at a dirt bike dealership. Like Sean D said. Be the last and only oil mixing cup you'll ever need or use!👍View attachment 992060
Ratio rite is also made in the USA.....

😍 Nice to see the kevlar saw protection! 👍 Wish more people wore it while running power saw's! I never run my saws with out it! I have the inside the pant leg insert style myself.

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!
I count myself as a lucky one. I was out cutting tree tops from a logging operation by myself about 6 years ago. As I was cutting up a maple top I cut through a branch that I was reaching too far for and as the saw cut through I slipped a little and I dropped the bar onto my left thigh as the chain was stopping. Thank God it only tore my pants and gave me a tiny scratch. I stopped that day and ordered a pair of chaps.

It’s difficult to compare the two without inserting “hardwood” jokes lol but I’m definitely seeking quality vs quantity.

There’s lots of 6’s and 7’s out there. I’m seeking a 9 that isn’t crazy lol. All tens are crazy…those ones are fun while they last but they never do lol.
No one posting the graph?
I've often wondered if anyone has done a photo comparison of all these wheelbarrow loads being posted to make sure they're all different. I suspect maybe someone is reposting the same loads just trying to impress us all while sitting on his arse (my attempt at humor :laugh: ).
I'm gonna call out @chipper1 ... In sure two of his bucket loads last weekv were the same 😆
Good afternoon fellows. Had a great day of cleaning the garage yesterday and doing a bunch of other random projects… Went outside around 10 AM and except for dinner worked till three in the morning. Little tired today but it was worth it to get so much done. I went to the memorial day parade in a little town by my house and then grabbed McDonald’s and came back home. Resting a bit now and I need to go change oil on my truck. Also need to change my sons oil and teach him how to do it.
Yeah but.., how was the date? 6,7,.....9+ but bat **** crazy?

I don't run Stihl or Husky mix. I use a different oil, and buy it by the quart and I mix five gallons at a time. I use a Ratio Right or Seasence mixing bottle. If your LSS (Local Saw Shop) dosent sell mixing cups? You can most definitely pick one up at a dirt bike dealership. Like Sean D said. Be the last and only oil mixing cup you'll ever need or use!👍View attachment 992060
Just something else I’ll misplace . I’ve been mixing gas since the mid 60s . All ya need is an once measuring cup we used to mix 24:1 for my boat . A lone star meteor with a 50 hp Johnson found this one on the web . Exactly one pint to three gallons . B461ABE1-7D3D-4FEA-8FDC-48316CBF18EE.jpeg
Sold the boat mid 80s to buy an MFG in/outbound with an iron duke 4 banger thought it was great no more mixing .

I count myself as a lucky one. I was out cutting tree tops from a logging operation by myself about 6 years ago. As I was cutting up maple top I cut through a branch that I was reaching too far for and as the saw cut through I slipped a little and I dropped the bar onto my left thigh as the chain was stopping. Thank God it only tore my pants and gave me a tiny scratch. I stopped that day and ordered a pair of chaps.
Yup! I reckon that'll get a cutters attention right quick! 👍😉

Latest posts

Back