Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why yes, yes it is sir! 🤣 I needed a tire asap and only 1 in michigan I could get mounted that day. Well it got mounted backwards but didnt have time to get it switched. I don't drive more than 5 or 10 mph anyway.
It's okay, it should help if you need to back out of a hole real quick ;) lol.

Nice "posts", yes it's a pun and also what he left for hinge wood, "posts" :).
Another thing he does, or should I say doesn't do, is flip his bar. He cuts a lot with the top side and says he wears the top as quick as the bottom side.
I liked his bore on the high side, you know a guy has a well tuned chain if he can start a bore cut off the top of the tip like that, and having done it once or twice helps a bit too lol.
I've got some trimming that needs to be done here, I can pick you up in muskegon :cheers:.
I'll hop on the Badger if you can pick me up in Ludington! I wonder if they'll look at me funny carrying on a KM110R and 3 attachments!?! :laughing:

I thought we went thru this :laughing:

Wasn't a chance in the world of that chairing, unless the skidder was hooked to it pulling too hard, or a total rookie was cutting it ;).
Agree, hardly a chance at all. ☝️ Being as he got rid of all that heart wood. When it comes to cut'n timber. I never bet my life on anything that isn't 100% certain That's why Im still alive. Would it have chaired if he had he not bored in and relieved all that wood? In my opinion? Honestly hard to say. Depending on face depth, angle of face steepness, speed of back cut, and or all of the above! Who knows? I don't, because I wasn't there and Im not familiar with that timber. ☝️ I will say this Brett. Who ever was on thst camera needs to keep his head up longer until the tops clear each other. Incase something up high breaks loose and whips back down on him. Instead of worrying about the shot. Rookie move!!! It will only take one time for him to get hammered by a fair size limb or top for him to gain a little experience by exercising that kind of poor judgement. Unless its a heavy enough window maker that it turns him into a quadriplegic or F'n kills him!!!!

I thought we went through this. 😉

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

Agree, hardly a chance at all. ☝️ Being as he got rid of all that heart wood. When it comes to cut'n timber. I never bet my life on anything that isn't 100% certain That's why Im still alive. Would it have chaired if he had he not bored in and relieved all that wood? In my opinion? Honestly hard to say. Depending on face depth, angle of face steepness, speed of back cut, and or all of the above! Who knows? I don't, because I wasn't there and Im not familiar with that timber. ☝️ I will say this Brett. Who ever was on thst camera needs to keep his head up longer until the tops clear each other. Incase something up high breaks loose and whips back down on him. Instead of worrying about the shot. Rookie move!!! It will only take one time for him to get hammered by a fair size limb or top for him to gain a little experience by exercising that kind of poor judgement. Unless its a heavy enough window maker that it turns him into a quadriplegic or F'n kills him!!!!

I thought we went through this. 😉

Like I said, it would have to be a rookie move to chair that tree, it was so well balanced.
The purpose of using the posts and boring the heart is to reduce the chance of fiber pull, you pull an inch, you loose the highest dollar portion of the tree. Other than that he would have made a standard face, bore in to set the hinge on the low side, then walked the cut around to the high side with the top of the bar(I've watched him do it hundreds of times, literally), then watched the tree stand there as it did until wedged slightly. Probably could have used a soft Dutchman on it to get it moving lol.
I do agree on the camera, I think he took it and filmed at the end. While I don't know where he was looking, that isn't a time to be hanging around :oops:.

That "free" can bite you :laugh:.

Still need to finish sharpening the chain on my ms261, one side done, hope the other turns out as nice ;).

As Fallers and/or Buckers. Each and every one of us must stay 100% focused, and 100% in the game if we want to stay alive. The number one injury to Fallers is caused by widow maker's. Weather its a broken hand while holding your saw ☝️ (not protected by a hard hat) or a broken neck (protected very little by hard hat) 👎 Especially if the widow maker has any significant amount of weight to it! We all heard about Nate's accident from a little widow maker, and hes a Professional Timber Faller on an industrial scale!!! How many do you think he's dodged by keeping his head up? Probably Many! 👍 How many have all of us dodged by keeping our heads up? Personally for me. Its more than I can remember! Keep your head up at least until the falling tree is at the 45 degree angle, especially when brushing and clearing other standing timber. Then watch for ricochet's, teetering catapults, whips, or any other hazards that can possibly come at you from the ground! Focusing on the accuracy of your shot should be the last thing on your mind, or it may be the last time you ever focus on it! Check out the accuracy of your shot after the wood is on the ground! Trust me. Its not going to get up and walk away!👍 It will Stihl be there long after watching and standing by to juke, dash, dodge, or even dive! Away, from possible hazards and dangers heading your way! We must stay in the game to finish the game!!!

Like I said, it would have to be a rookie move to chair that tree, it was so well balanced.
The purpose of using the posts and boring the heart is to reduce the chance of fiber pull, you pull an inch, you loose the highest dollar portion of the tree. Other than that he would have made a standard face, bore in to set the hinge on the low side, then walked the cut around to the high side with the top of the bar(I've watched him do it hundreds of times, literally), then watched the tree stand there as it did until wedged slightly. Probably could have used a soft Dutchman on it to get it moving lol.
I do agree on the camera, I think he took it and filmed at the end. While I don't know where he was looking, that isn't a time to be hanging around :oops:.

That "free" can bite you :laugh:.

Still need to finish sharpening the chain on my ms261, one side done, hope the other turns out as nice ;).
Even as I am familiar with the importance of minimizing stump pull in merchantable timber. especially high dollar timber. I definitely appreciate you taking the time to
explain it for sure, and also express your opinion. 👍 Good on ya pard!

I had two trees come down together a few weeks ago, I didn’t realize one was only being held up by the other one. It got my attention.
Absolutely! Im sure it did! Lesson learned and experience gained!!!👍 I reacted to your post with a "love it" simply because you stated "it got my attention." Thus recognizing the possibilities that could have gone wrong by not paying attention. Im glad to hear it didn't go wrong and turn into something bad bud. Good on ya!

Works great been very impressed with it .
If the price of lumber stays high through next winter I’m going to buy a mill and teach my son to mill the lumber. I’ve got a number of projects on hold but I’m not going to get raped at the lumberyard to get them completed.

☝️If you look up to the Timber God's?

View attachment 996160View attachment 996161View attachment 996166View attachment 996162View attachment 996163View attachment 996167View attachment 996168
They will look back at you and help keep you alive! So you can look up to them another day! 👍

Cut safe stay sharp and be aware!
Looks like Alaska is a great place to fell trees, wide open and not much brush work. I'm usually felling in dense hardwoods, oak maple and popple. Alot of brush work on trees here in michigan.

Looks too much like my garage......except for the big empty space.
It was a losing battle with my ex around… Nobody could touch “her” stuff but “her” stuff was mixed in with everybody else’s stuff. After she took what she wanted and moved out most of the garage was just a pile of random stuff about 2 feet tall. We made great progress and also have six snowmobile’s across the back wall that need to be stored in the enclosed trailer before that.

Back