Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went up north to our land today to check out the alder shearing we had done this last winter. The NRCS/RGS forester approved of the work. Here it is. View attachment 995867
It's a mess now but it will start regenerating and will become a great spot for woodcock and to a lesser extent grouse. The deer are all over it already.
Hope it's cooler up there than it was down state. I thought I was going to die of heat stroke in Fond Du Lac yesterday.

This is the free stuff folks have given me recently... all purchased new and not used. The 20" bars fit my MS261 and MS461. 4 chains for the 261 and 3 for the 461 for those bars. The short bar for the 461 with those chains will be great for bucking most of the trees I deal with... think firewood. I've got 25" and 36" bars with Rapid Super chains for felling and bucking big stuff. The 20" bar on the 261 will let me stand more upright than my 18" bar while limbing and bucking smaller trees. I have Rapid Super chains for the 18" bar for felling if I need them. People look out for me knowing that I do a lot of volunteer tree work on rail trails...

Freebies.jpg

Hope it's cooler up there than it was down state. I thought I was going to die of heat stroke in Fond Du Lac yesterday.
It wasn't too bad. I think it was about 85°F. There was a pretty decent breeze and it was overcast until about 1:30. I went back home at about 2:30 so I was in the A/C for the rest of the day.

Today was supposed to be a fishing day. The open water forecast called for thick fog and 3'-5' waves. Lake Winnebago would've been rough with this wind also so no fishing. :(

I decided I would clean up the flower beds that my wife so desperately wanted and promised to take care of.🤣
To be fair she does take care of our kids! I think the flower beds are easier! I ran 4 tanks through the KM110R. I bed edged, string trimmed and blew out the beds. I also string trimmed around the buildings for the first time this year.
It was a productive day.

This is the free stuff folks have given me recently... all purchased new and not used. The 20" bars fit my MS261 and MS461. 4 chains for the 261 and 3 for the 461 for those bars. The short bar for the 461 with those chains will be great for bucking most of the trees I deal with... think firewood. I've got 25" and 36" bars with Rapid Super chains for felling and bucking big stuff. The 20" bar on the 261 will let me stand more upright than my 18" bar while limbing and bucking smaller trees. I have Rapid Super chains for the 18" bar for felling if I need them. People look out for me knowing that I do a lot of volunteer tree work on rail trails...

View attachment 996103
No equipment, is better than free equipment! 😂👍

Of course any man who jumps out of a helicopter when the pilot decided the lz was too hot and was taking off had to have a set made of titanium!! Hand to hand and way outnumbered the way I hear it but he wasn't leaving the man that was trying to limp to the chopper!
That right there is a man's man. :muscle:

@Kodiak Kid and @Logger nate I thought you pro fallers might be interested in this video. I noticed some weird looking stumps in our woods a while back. They had hardly any hinge wood. This video explains how walnut and other hardwood veneer trees are felled. The felling technique differences between east/midwest and west/west coast are very interesting to me.

Nice "posts", yes it's a pun and also what he left for hinge wood, "posts" :).
Another thing he does, or should I say doesn't do, is flip his bar. He cuts a lot with the top side and says he wears the top as quick as the bottom side.
I liked his bore on the high side, you know a guy has a well tuned chain if he can start a bore cut off the top of the tip like that, and having done it once or twice helps a bit too lol.
I've got some trimming that needs to be done here, I can pick you up in muskegon :cheers:.

I was looking at the price per 1k board feet at the local mill for veneer HVBW and it was $1250 to $2950!
There's a reason some guys dig down below the root flare and "slick stump" them, every ft counts, especially on the largest portion of the log.
I did some trading for a couple saws to a real nice younger guy down in the south part of michigan, last time we talked he was falling walnut, that was the main thing they did, big bucks. I should get in touch with him, the young-in could probably teach me a good bit now.

Knocked down one of my White Pines. I shot a step by step, how to shoot a tag line in the top, how to redirect the pull with snatch blocks, how to put a choker on the stump of the tree I was felling, so it couldn't roll down the hill in the side yard. Took about an hour and a half in little 15-20 second bits. Put the face cut in and started on the back, glanced over at my wife and she was holding her pink cell, and mine was on the ground. So, she has 14 seconds of a White Pine landing perfect in the side yard. My cell died just as the notch started to open up, and she got her cell out, and got the 14 second sweet shot. I free handed a bunch of Pine boards so I could run them through my little Bandit 65.

Knocked down one of my White Pines. I shot a step by step, how to shoot a tag line in the top, how to redirect the pull with snatch blocks, how to put a choker on the stump of the tree I was felling, so it couldn't roll down the hill in the side yard. Took about an hour and a half in little 15-20 second bits. Put the face cut in and started on the back, glanced over at my wife and she was holding her pink cell, and mine was on the ground. So, she has 14 seconds of a White Pine landing perfect in the side yard. My cell died just as the notch started to open up, and she got her cell out, and got the 14 second sweet shot. I free handed a bunch of Pine boards so I could run them through my little Bandit 65.

Bummer on the video.
That's why my Bradford Pear video was so short yesterday, my boy grabbed the rope and pulled it over while I was getting the wife set up to video. It's hard to get good help these days, but they sure liked the cash and the donuts afterwards :).

Dang bro!
Is that front tire on backwards, asking for others in this thread :laugh:.
Why yes, yes it is sir! 🤣 I needed a tire asap and only 1 in michigan I could get mounted that day. Well it got mounted backwards but didnt have time to get it switched. I don't drive more than 5 or 10 mph anyway.

Latest posts

Back