Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This question puzzled me so I went back and looked at the post... Then I laughed. I grabbed up images with the word "maple" in the name and dragged and dropped them. That one happened to be named maple.jpg! :innocent:

Anyhow, yes, it's a left handed flint lock. Early Lancaster style with characteristics borrowed from several Issac Haines guns. The builder who stocked it is George Suiter, retired master of the gunsmith shop at Colonial Williamsburg, VA. It was a collaboration between journeyman Jon Laubach, George and I... I did much of the grunt work. George did the fine work. 😉

View attachment 999488
Very nice carving and inlay of that patch box. I was introduced to long rifle building about 20 years ago, it’s hard to believe they made such works of art 200 years ago. That is a beautiful thing.

Nice work Rob.
Where's that at.
By the time you finish you'll need to start over :laugh: .
That's a thirsty bugger. I use about a gallon an hr working the L3800 hard.
Fuel cost are certainly high and especially on diesel, that's the lowest I've seen it.
I need to refill the little tractor, probably get it next week, won't be that much, thank God!

That looks great.
I like the jack!
I see it's ready for a grapple :rock:.
Got the brackets made up to mount the bed. Also tacked all but the front ones to the frame, then removed the bed. Today I plan on finishing the welds, tacking the jack back on, then hauling it home to blast it. I wanted it home yesterday, but things didn't go as I had hoped, may have set my goals a little high :yes:. Oh well, at least I made progress and didn't go backwards, well not that I know of yet lol.
View attachment 999822
Love the skidder!!!!

Very nice carving and inlay of that patch box. I was introduced to long rifle building about 20 years ago, it’s hard to believe they made such works of art 200 years ago. That is a beautiful thing.
I built some crappy kits in the early 70s and then had a chance to work in the gun shop in Williamsburg in the 80s. Shifted to fine woodworking and am getting fired up about flint guns again. I find it’s good to have multiple hobbies and interests to cycle through over time... including cycling!

sean donato

I have a Kubota L4701 or 47hp, LA765 front loader, BH2 backhoe, RCR1872 cutter & RTR1274 tiller, also a BB1272 box blade.
It was a retirement gift & to dig up tin acres of pine stumps, after the timber folks lift.
I just removed the backhoe & installed the three point hitch.
I KNOW YOU'LL PICTURES!
The tractor 18 miles away on the farm, so maybe next time. I found one!
1656616623348.png

i learned it in my splitter's OM... always cylcle my ram 10 times summer, 20 in winter or fall, colder temps. i always do. i also always cycle my bucket up, down load, dump 10 times... always. I never go to work on cold seals, clearances or oil....

but sometimes it does seem a mute point!

View attachment 999757
Cycling the cylinders doesn't induce much heat into the system as it's just low pressure, low stress with no weight. I've worked on several hydraulic systems now that will hold something over relief or run oil through a restricted orifice to heat the oil before the system can be used. I don't worry too terribly much with slow cycling cylinders. Pretty much do a function check and get going. The sudt² thats in the kubota was specifically designed for low temp poor point, so it's kinda moot. And normal hydraulic oil is a 10 or 15 wt oil anyway.

That's a lot of wood, I don't think I could do that. When the brutal cold hit I was not burning wood due to job and spending the weekends at my property in PA. The only wood I had was old wet oak that I never got around to splitting. When I needed wood I would split a wheelbarrow full with a maul or wedges. I burned all of it during those 2 months which I think was roughly 1 cord or a little more.

View attachment 999792View attachment 999793
I pretty much keep everything in log form off the ground (as best I can) and rotate the piles every 2 years or so. They are basically dry enough to burn when they get bucked, split, and stacked in the shed. The splitter has a hydraulic lift in it and a 5" cylinder it's a bit slow but powered through most anything with ease. Log splitter 2.0 will have a 4 way and eventually 6 way or box wedge on it. Hoping to make it more of a mini processor as I Hate splitting wood more then anything. Don't mind the rest of the process. Just the splitting part. Hogs up a lot of time, add in I also help my dad and brothers put with wood for their houses, I cut and split a decent bit in a year.
That looks great.
I like the jack!
I see it's ready for a grapple :rock:.
Got the brackets made up to mount the bed. Also tacked all but the front ones to the frame, then removed the bed. Today I plan on finishing the welds, tacking the jack back on, then hauling it home to blast it. I wanted it home yesterday, but things didn't go as I had hoped, may have set my goals a little high :yes:. Oh well, at least I made progress and didn't go backwards, well not that I know of yet lol.
View attachment 999822
Yep, diverted valve is piped in, but I have to finish making brackets for the lines before I hose that and the aux ports. Debating on making a grapple or buying an EA wicked series. Money vs time thing... you know.
I was thinking more of a daily thing. Rotate your herd and never have to mow again.
Actually, thought about doing this in my yard, but the wife wouldn't hear about me fencing in the entire yard around the house to keep a few goats so i didn't have to mow anymore.

Yep, diverted valve is piped in, but I have to finish making brackets for the lines before I hose that and the aux ports. Debating on making a grapple or buying an EA wicked series. Money vs time thing... you know.
If you can afford it, just snagged the EA unit up. But, you know you'll want to mod it anyway ;).

Love the skidder!!!!
Thanks, I use that about a 1/5 of the time I use the tractor, it's amazing what I use it for.
I wish I had more videos of it working, but since many times I'm by myself and doing sketchy jobs I can't take a chance videoing (especially when it's for a paying client).
Lots of uses.
Here's a few back leaners I did this spring.

This one is a good example because you can see the backlean. Basically the whole left spar and the base up to the split are all leaning towards the house.
Don't try this at home kids, well not at your home :laughing: .

Pulling brush/tops.

Getting leaners to the trail.

Too small of a tree for a wedge, no problem, use the power wedge :laugh:.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/HS-PSMnVKBk

sean donato

I have a Kubota L4701 or 47hp, LA765 front loader, BH2 backhoe, RCR1872 cutter & RTR1274 tiller, also a BB1272 box blade.
It was a retirement gift & to dig up tin acres of pine stumps, after the timber folks lift.
I just removed the backhoe & installed the three point hitch.
I KNOW YOU'LL PICTURES!
The tractor 18 miles away on the farm, so maybe next time. I found one!
View attachment 999881
Sweet!
I like my bota's :yes:.

Thanks, I use that about a 1/5 of the time I use the tractor, it's amazing what I use it for.
I wish I had more videos of it working, but since many times I'm by myself and doing sketchy jobs I can't take a chance videoing (especially when it's for a paying client).
Lots of uses.
Here's a few back leaners I did this spring.

This one is a good example because you can see the backlean. Basically the whole left spar and the base up to the split are all leaning towards the house.
Don't try this at home kids, well not at your home :laughing: .

Pulling brush/tops.

Getting leaners to the trail.

Too small of a tree for a wedge, no problem, use the power wedge :laugh:.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/HS-PSMnVKBk

I've done some of the same, just with the winch on my (deck over)trailer... can't use it in too deep in the woods though. 100 foot of rope just don't get you too far.

So got some more good ish, I think, may be, possibly, good news. I'm a massive cheap arse (as most of you should have figured by now.) Been on the look oit for a cheap, but nice vehicle for my wife to drive. Found the perfect thing about an hour and half away. 08 ford escape. V6 4x4 auto, 165k miles. Runs like crap 🤣🤣. Pictures are pretty clean and rot free. He wants $900.00 for it, gonna try to jew him down to $600, but I'll pay his asking price if I have to. Biggest issue I have is I need to be at work by 1 and he's being a bit of an arse about picking it up tomorrow morning, but we settled on 10:00 am. That will put me pretty close for time to get to work on time, but I think I can make it. Figured even if I have to swing another engine in it. (I wont) it's still a $6-8k vehicle with those miles on it working right. Wish me luck lol. Hopefully it runs good enough to get it on the trailer cause I still haven't had time to mount the winch on it, and my brother has the deck over clogged up with scrap....

Colpoy's Bay, Ontario. This site has a few rocks. That's my L35 for scale. If you zoom in on the picture of the excavator and look in front of the hoe bucket you can see better how steep it is.

Attachments

• 20220627_164105.jpg
    20220627_164105.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220616_100326.jpg
    20220616_100326.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220519_141500.jpg
    20220519_141500.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220425_153227.jpg
    20220425_153227.jpg