Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a 6' brush hog(shredder), if he's taking 5' swaths, how many goats do you think they'd need to be equivalent to him cutting for 10hrs :surprised3::lol:.
Not to mention the owner of the property would have me out there with a dustpan and broom sweeping up goat terds!! lol

That same tractor with a 9' haybine at 1200 RPM's will go all day long burning 3 quarts an hour!

Resized-20210802-130924-5925-S.jpg

BUT, running the PTO at 540 and working the diesel hard, it gets thirsty!

Resized-20220628-150207-S.jpg

SR

So got some more good ish, I think, may be, possibly, good news. I'm a massive cheap arse (as most of you should have figured by now.) Been on the look oit for a cheap, but nice vehicle for my wife to drive. Found the perfect thing about an hour and half away. 08 ford escape. V6 4x4 auto, 165k miles. Runs like crap 🤣🤣. Pictures are pretty clean and rot free. He wants $900.00 for it, gonna try to jew him down to $600, but I'll pay his asking price if I have to. Biggest issue I have is I need to be at work by 1 and he's being a bit of an arse about picking it up tomorrow morning, but we settled on 10:00 am. That will put me pretty close for time to get to work on time, but I think I can make it. Figured even if I have to swing another engine in it. (I wont) it's still a $6-8k vehicle with those miles on it working right. Wish me luck lol. Hopefully it runs good enough to get it on the trailer cause I still haven't had time to mount the winch on it, and my brother has the deck over clogged up with scrap....
Hour and a half which way? West, East?? Keep in mind. I’m in Delaware county. Havertown, Pa to be exact.

Not even close to a real bar (yet). Right now it's just some bar stools and a beer fridge. But now that you say that, I do have plumbing out there, so I could install some log siding inside, add some 2" or 3" milled slabs for an actual bar top, a urinal, and have at it! A REAL man-cave. Damn, I may have to do that, once I actually catch up on my other projects.
great idea! :rock:

they built inside, a replica of the front of D-ick Proenneke's Twin Lakes, AK log cabin he built over at the D-Proenneke Museum in Donnellson, Iowa....

1656660212397.png

1656660239160.png

Not to mention the owner of the property would have me out there with a dustpan and broom sweeping up goat terds!! lol

That same tractor with a 9' haybine at 1200 RPM's will go all day long burning 3 quarts an hour!

Resized-20210802-130924-5925-S.jpg

BUT, running the PTO at 540 and working the diesel hard, it gets thirsty!

Resized-20220628-150207-S.jpg

SR
cool pix! and for sure... don't want to run out of diesellll!

That's a 6' brush hog(shredder), if he's taking 5' swaths, how many goats do you think they'd need to be equivalent to him cutting for 10hrs :surprised3::lol:.
the job sounds large scale! i was thinking a bat wing mite speed things up a bit....
1656660611827.png

Cant' remember if I used a tree I plan on removing, or if I was just able to get it in there. I'm honestly shocked the little tractor was able to pick it up. If you look at the picture you can see the right side of the bucket is already bent :cry:. They just always have a few very large ones laying around that they haven't sold. They move the big ones on a lowboy trailer, 50k isn't abnormal o_O. Many times when I a gravel pit closes they build nice homes around the ponds and there will be some large rocks at the entrance.
I've never seen them crush them, but they might?
$
T
#

or?

sean donato

I have a Kubota L4701 or 47hp, LA765 front loader, BH2 backhoe, RCR1872 cutter & RTR1274 tiller, also a BB1272 box blade.
It was a retirement gift & to dig up tin acres of pine stumps, after the timber folks lift.
I just removed the backhoe & installed the three point hitch.
I KNOW YOU'LL PICTURES!
The tractor 18 miles away on the farm, so maybe next time. I found one!
View attachment 999881
You gotta love holes on farms!!! I’m forever telling idiots I come across about the holes on my farm and how they can help fill them…lol

I was thinking more of a daily thing. Rotate your herd and never have to mow again.
down here it would a bit 'off grid' to have such nice grasses in that quantity... and shred it rather than run cows on it... well, other than the ferns... unless perhaps early spring shoots ~

You gotta love holes on farms!!! I’m forever telling idiots I come across about the holes on my farm and how they can help fill them…lol
lol - got more than just a couple on my To-Do! agenda list at mine... one getting bigger under the propane tank. next roundup, time to face off! fill that hole with chunks a brick/stone... and sand top soil. see how far its lil claws get thru that! ~

Cycling the cylinders doesn't induce much heat into the system as it's just low pressure, low stress with no weight. I've worked on several hydraulic systems now that will hold something over relief or run oil through a restricted orifice to heat the oil before the system can be used. I don't worry too terribly much with slow cycling cylinders. Pretty much do a function check and get going. The sudt² thats in the kubota was specifically designed for low temp poor point, so it's kinda moot. And normal hydraulic oil is a 10 or 15 wt oil anyway.
not so sure i can totally cowtown with your thots sd - not at 101f+ in the shade... lol ;)

lol - got more than just a couple on my To-Do! agenda list at mine... one getting bigger under the propane tank. next roundup, time to face off! fill that hole with chunks a brick/stone... and sand top soil. see how far its lil claws get thru that! ~
I can get you some liberals from DC to help fill the holes…lol

I'm still on the job mowing fields, around tree's and mowing everywhere else in sight.

Resized-20220628-150135-S.jpg

In fact, this job is going to go on so long, I decided to set up camp so I can take breaks and rest as much as I want, lol

Resized-20220627-155237-S.jpg

There are even fields of ferns to mow,

Resized-20220627-151733-S.jpg

Here's how much fuel I burned in 10.3 hours of mowing heavy grass with some hills,

Resized-20220628-193554-S.jpg

and that was off road nontaxed red fuel!

SR
Im glad the company I work for supplies saw gas and bar oil. At 2 to 2.5 gallons of gas and a gallon of bar oil a day. It would ad up fast with today's fuel prices. There are three of us hand felling for this company. As well as two Tiger Cat feller bunchers and two John Deer 300 series dangle head processors. We work six days a week and the three of us Stihl burn a 55 gallon drum of saw gas every week.👍 Before Bunchers and Processors started coming into the picture 25 years ago out here. We had 16 timber cutters on the falling crew and five to seven knot bumpers and buckers between the log landing's and sorting/bundling yard, and we Stihl didn't produce as much wood as two of today's state of the art Bunchers and two state of the art Processors! Therefore, Im very fortunate 🙏 to have a position as a hand cutter on this logging crew regardless of the dangers involved! 👍 All I can do keep my nose to the grindstone, keep my head up, work hard, and also...

...Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!👍

Good night guys. 4:00 AM comes early! One of these days I'll have time to kick back on a day off and chat it up with you guys! I'll try to post some good 'ol Alaska felling and logging pics for yall ASAP!👍

So got some more good ish, I think, may be, possibly, good news. I'm a massive cheap arse (as most of you should have figured by now.) Been on the look oit for a cheap, but nice vehicle for my wife to drive. Found the perfect thing about an hour and half away. 08 ford escape. V6 4x4 auto, 165k miles. Runs like crap 🤣🤣. Pictures are pretty clean and rot free. He wants $900.00 for it, gonna try to jew him down to $600, but I'll pay his asking price if I have to. Figured even if I have to swing another engine in it. (I wont) it's still a $6-8k vehicle with those miles on it working right. Wish me luck lol. Hopefully it runs good enough to get it on the trailer cause I still haven't had time to mount the winch on it, and my brother has the deck over clogged up with scrap....
yeah! - hope the wife likes it..... keep us posted!!! hope some :picture: soon, too... maybe

at least it is rot free! :)

Im glad the company I work for supplies saw gas and bar oil. At 2 to 2.5 gallons of gas and a gallon of bar oil a day. It would ad up fast with today's fuel prices. There are three of us hand felling for this company. As well as two Tiger Cat feller bunchers and two John Deer 300 series dangle head processors. We work six days a week and the three of us Stihl burn a 55 gallon drum of saw gas every week.👍 Before Bunchers and Processors started coming into the picture 25 years ago out here. We had 16 timber cutters on the falling crew and five to seven knot bumpers and buckers between the log landing's and sorting/bundling yard, and we Stihl didn't produce as much wood as two of today's state of the art Bunchers and two state of the art Processors! Therefore, Im very fortunate 🙏 to have a position as a hand cutter on this logging crew regardless of the dangers involved! 👍 All I can do keep my nose to the grindstone, keep my head up, work hard, and also...

...Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!👍

Good night guys. 4:00 AM comes early! One of these days I'll have time to kick back on a day off and chat it up with you guys! I'll try to post some good 'ol Alaska felling and logging pics for yall ASAP!👍
hi KK - i see you are a skiff and a hop bit down S from Homer.... :)

hope you keep those AK adventure 'cards and letters' coming... :cool:

Back