Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been kicking around the idea of buying a manual pole saw for odds and ends at my in-laws place. Anyone have experience with an EZ Cut Kamikaze? They're on sale for about half the coin of a comparable Silky or Stihl. Are they serviceable at that price or just a p.o.s that's going to disappoint?

Been kicking around the idea of buying a manual pole saw for odds and ends at my in-laws place. Anyone have experience with an EZ Cut Kamikaze? They're on sale for about half the coin of a comparable Silky or Stihl. Are they serviceable at that price or just a p.o.s that's going to disappoint?
1656782657871.png

seems to me a near bullet-proof tool. wouldn't want to make firewood with such, but in any event... could be quite handy for branch work, etc. just keep the rust off it. i have one of dif make with such teeth... comes in handy every once in a while...

I've been sharpening my own chains as I cut firewood for myself. Usually touch them up after every tank or two of fuel. This new chain I've been using refused to cut any more even after my attempt at sharpening. Never touched the rakers. I checked it out with a gauge I had on hand and it seemed not to need anything. The gauge was an Oregon I think.
IMG_1172.jpgIMG_1173.jpg
Decided to take it to a local shop that was new to me. He measured it after sharpening and said it didn't need it either. He did run through all of the rakers though.

Didn't get a chance to put the chain back on the saw and see how it cut because it started to rain. And the gullet is not round. Like he used the wrong diameter wheel? I know nothing about machine sharpening. Will get a pic when I can.

Roger that, but there is a cost vs use thing to consider as well. I could have gotten a nice worm drive warn winch for peanuts and fixed the burned out motor but it would have cost twice what the cheapo winch did, and you have to understand this cheap winch in particular is close to 12 to 15 years old and had served me very well. I literally bought it for $200.00 right out of high school when we started four wheeling every weekend. Can't say a Warren would have lasted any longer.
12 to 15 years??? I bought my Warn in the early 80's, and THAT was waaaay before the china man got two handfuls of rice for building a badland winch! lol AND had to put one of them in his pocket to have something to eat for breakfast!! LOL LOL

SR

They pulled the brick pavers, pulled all but that center ornamental tree. There were a couple Stihl saws there too, but the excavator with thumb pulled everything out instead. Then the excavator rolled into my woods and collected three large rocks/boulders to use in the fresh landscape. In the meantime a couple of guys scraped the moss and poly sand off the bricks, re-leveled the bed and re-layed the bricks. I considered doing this myself, my wife declared me unfit for this duty, and I assume guessed how long it would have taken me. So, the pros came Monday morning and completed this in 4 hours. If you have another 2:50 interest, I played around with my drone and compiled this quick summary:

Nice vid Jere. Now, do you video with the drone as well, or is that strictly your son's forte? You may have stated at some point if you video with it as well, but I don't recall.

I had to hang in the shop and have a few beers last night, away from the better half! I decided to put some pegboard up that I've had since last Fall. The tools on the wall are all duplicates of stuff that I already have in my tool chest (except for the 4' level and the two pair of loppers). I told her this morning that "TPegboard.jpghis is YOUR tool collection, use it however you want. Just stay out of my tool chest" LOL! I can't tell you how many times I'll open one of my drawers, and things aren't in the right place, and it makes my OCD go freaking nuts!

:laugh:

thanks for the demo! now i won't have to do it!....

you prob made the longest post in AS posting history :popcorn2:

ps: the Ignore button is simpler. i see it works swell... :cool:
I won't ignore you, you've plenty to say, it's interesting and you say it politely and entertainingly. I'm just saying the formatting of your posts makes them awkward to read. In that respect I agree when Steve.

I'm getting the feeling you'll not see this.... Until someone else quotes it

Nice vid Jere. Now, do you video with the drone as well, or is that strictly your son's forte? You may have stated at some point if you video with it as well, but I don't recall.
I did the flying and video on the landscape project with his drone. Usually, he is pilot and videographer, but he has one of those things I fondly remember as a "job". So, he's not around during the standard business week.

Well summer is here, 80’s this week 2E84FCE8-89C1-4079-B115-8B027E309090.jpegSaved one of the nicer spruce firewood logs at moms and milled some boards last weekend 2A2248C6-8471-47CA-A9CF-3F129730A6D4.jpeg984DA7EA-952C-4236-B068-90BE65D0D46E.jpegHad kind of a puzzle at work, big pine snag blew down and was wedged in some red fir trees on a hill side104196DA-380B-426F-816C-A80F098E2DA1.jpegHad to think about it for awhile, and pray, finally got it on the ground without getting squished 😁22A97C45-5BB3-4027-AD15-CDA3A98CD67F.jpegHope everyone has a great 4th!

nice lil ride! and all that for $600!?

thinking the lil lady will like it once u get all the final issues sorted out!

thanks for the pix! i am just here for the pix.... :popcorn2:
$900. But yeah it's decent for what I paid for it.

I won't ignore you, you've plenty to say, it's interesting and you say it politely and entertainingly. I'm just saying the formatting of your posts makes them awkward to read. In that respect I agree when Steve.

I'm getting the feeling you'll not see this.... Until someone else quotes it

ANYWAY, here's episode 2 of Cowboy's stroll down Scrounge Lane...

These three bits of blue gum on the top

3rd Jul 5.jpg

were from this bad boy back in Nov 2016.

16th Nov1.jpg

24th Nov 1.jpg

Got a lot of wood out of that one.

Well summer is here, 80’s this week View attachment 1000455Saved one of the nicer spruce firewood logs at moms and milled some boards last weekend View attachment 1000461View attachment 1000462Had kind of a puzzle at work, big pine snag blew down and was wedged in some red fir trees on a hill sideView attachment 1000463Had to think about it for awhile, and pray, finally got it on the ground without getting squished 😁View attachment 1000464Hope everyone has a great 4th!
That's a beautiful "office" to be working in!

I've been sharpening my own chains as I cut firewood for myself. Usually touch them up after every tank or two of fuel. This new chain I've been using refused to cut any more even after my attempt at sharpening. Never touched the rakers. I checked it out with a gauge I had on hand and it seemed not to need anything. The gauge was an Oregon I think.
View attachment 1000392View attachment 1000393
Decided to take it to a local shop that was new to me. He measured it after sharpening and said it didn't need it either. He did run through all of the rakers though.

Didn't get a chance to put the chain back on the saw and see how it cut because it started to rain. And the gullet is not round. Like he used the wrong diameter wheel? I know nothing about machine sharpening. Will get a pic when I can.
Here's a shot of the resharpened chain. See how the gullet is scalloped like too narrow of stone was used. Maybe it doesn't matter. The chain cut (noodled) like it was almost new, but not quite there. I may take my 7/32" file and file the gullet even and then see how it cuts.
IMG_1177.jpg

Also, I've noticed a burr all around the bar on both sides. Can I simply lightly grind if off with an angle grinder or do I need a special tool?

Latest posts

Back