Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a knock at the door yesterday evening, wasn't expecting anyone so immediately thought it's likely someone who will ask, 'do you want that wood?' and glance sheepishly at the remaining Oak out the front of the house. Now what's left there after my heroic 60 + wheel barrow marathon, is about a third of a cube of the most horrible big crotches and huge 'risk a hernia or slipped disk just to look at them' bits. I need to get the big saw out to chunk them up a bit before they go in the barrow to the back. So as I walked to the door I was considering saying, ' no you can have it if you like.'. However recognising that would lead to scrounge membership revocation I thought maybe...'I'll sell it, yours for £20'..... But no. I open the door and the guy starts as I expected, ' hi I pass by lots and see you've always got loads of wood....'. Go on I think..... And then there's an unexpected twist....'I've just taken down a load of Leylandii, it's all cut up into short bits, would you like it?' 😱😲😲😲

When I regained my voice, I had to thank him for thinking of me but pass! I've no room! I am full. My wife would have ripped my balls off if I'd done different.... Scrounge card tendered for surrender 😞😞

I remember my brother's advice when starting to scrounge.... Be prepared for feast and famine, never turn wood down because you 'have enough'. Well this summer has been feast. Actually it's been over doing it somewhat but with our gas prices expected to rise another 75%. (yes, 75%, on top of the almost doubling we've already seen in the last year) I'm glad I've wood and wood stoves. It's financially sensible even when on the mains now.

I am still puzzling why I did this. Neighbor right across the highway from me removed 4 good sized black locust and left them in his pasture saying he would take them up to the cabin he has in the moutains. About 10 years later he called and said I could have them. For some reason I still can't understand I called an old acquaintance and gave them to him!! Would have been 2-3 cords. The haul distanc wouldn't have exceeded 50 yards.

I am still puzzling why I did this. Neighbor right across the highway from me removed 4 good sized black locust and left them in his pasture saying he would take them up to the cabin he has in the moutains. About 10 years later he called and said I could have them. For some reason I still can't understand I called an old acquaintance and gave them to him!! Would have been 2-3 cords. The haul distanc wouldn't have exceeded 50 yards.
Yeah probably wasn't good for much after 10 years.

Before I finished reading your post, I was going to suggest what I did. Took a tote and put a hip roof on it for all my nubbins. Yours is taller and easier to get into though.
View attachment 1003397
Yours looks very nicely done! Using a tote was my first thought. I looked at some pics and figured my smaller pieces would fall out and more trouble installing screening vs. stapling it to wood.

Here is my most recent "scrounge" rescued from the scrap pile (literally)
Needs a few boards replaced but should make for a good carry deck for firewood. Previously I have been using the bucket on the front of the tractor which doesn't fit a lot and is kinda hard on the front axle (as much as I overload it).
All my firewood stacks are a few hundred yards from the house and wood stove so as not to encourage rodents to take up residence near the house.

20220716_195653.jpg20220716_195628.jpg

Here is my most recent "scrounge" rescued from the scrap pile (literally)
Needs a few boards replaced but should make for a good carry deck for firewood. Previously I have been using the bucket on the front of the tractor which doesn't fit a lot and is kinda hard on the front axle (as much as I overload it).
All my firewood stacks are a few hundred yards from the house and wood stove so as not to encourage rodents to take up residence near the house.

View attachment 1003505View attachment 1003506
Did you scrounge the carry all frame too?

Did you scrounge the carry all frame too?
Yes the whole rig. The 3 pt frame is in very good condition. The wood is the worst of it and is easily replaceable.
There is really only 3 boards that need replacing. The one on the side that is missing and one missing board on the bottom, and the bottom most board that is bolted to the carry all frame. To be honest even that one isn't all that bad. I'll probably leave it be for now and just replace the 2 missing boards.

As I recall, it was this forum where the discussion of sealed bearings in mower decks occurred. This video takes things further than I believe any of us went in the discussion. It is very interesting!

Speaking of grease, my zero turn's spindles have zerks on them. Previous owner told me to grease once a year, but not how much. I give each ten pumps on my hand grease gun. But with the conversation here about the lower bearing, I don't know if that is enough. How much do you guys use?

Speaking of grease, my zero turn's spindles have zerks on them. Previous owner told me to grease once a year, but not how much. I give each ten pumps on my hand grease gun. But with the conversation here about the lower bearing, I don't know if that is enough. How much do you guys use?
It really depends on the spindle construction, and how much you mow. Once a year could be adequate or not at all, depending on how many hrs per year you mow. I would start by finding a service manual and see what it suggests for intervals.
I have a Scag with serviceable spindles. It is a bolt through spindle and has a relief so that you can not possibly over grease and over- pressurize a seal. I hit mine 2 or 3 times a year - grease is cheap. I Mow 6-7 acres. At ~2000 hrs I'm still on my original spindles.

20220612_113237.jpg20220612_141400.jpg

That depends... The first time you need to fill the spindle body until grease comes out around the top and/or bottom of the spindle. That could take 40-80 pumps the first time. After that 10 might be all you need to press some grease out of the top and/or bottom. I'd think every 16-20 hours of run time is probably plenty. In my case that amounts to twice per season.

Greasing defintaly depends on load and hrs of use, typically (the old cub cadet.) It's gets a few pumps once a month, but it's old and has a ton of hours on it, i probably over grease it, but new spindles are stupid expensive and a different design then what's in the deck currently. The kubota I'm still debating if I want to mow with, and with that I still need to do a few repairs to the deck that came with the tractor. As much as I Haye to admit it, I don't think the kubota is as capable on my hills like the cub it, and the old k-series kohler doest complain when it's on a nasty angle like pressure lube engines tend to.

Grease is cheap, at least its cheaper than what can happen if you dont use grease. I was recently asked to go to Sumter Sc to pick up a 9000lb trackhoe. I used the guys truck and goose neck trailer to make the trip. I knew the truck was in decent shape, but I didnt know squat about the trailer, so I asked. OH, that trailer is in great shape, been well cared for. even have a brand new spare tire in the event of a flat. Well it made it empty to SC, but the return trip was a nitemare. Around Columbia sc, one of the tires decided to seperate. 95 degrees outside in a parking lot I got the tire changed, at that point, I did notice the hub had a slight wobble, but didnt really pay it any attention, It was hot and I just wanted to get on the road and get home. Stopped in Westminister SC and got fuel, did a walk around and everything looked ok. I was less than a hundred miles from home and it was getting dark. Made it home and pulled into my buddies driveway and walked around the trailer again, suprise, surprise, one wheel was missing off the trailer. Dont know when it came off, but suspect it was not far from where I stopped. I doubt I would have made it very far with just one tire on one side of trailer. The wheel that came off was the same one that had the tire come apart on it. The bearings had failed and I lost the hub and the new tire and wheel. It ruint the spindle on the axle also. So several hundred dollars all because the axles had not been greased properly. I also wonder if the wobble in the hub was because of the bad bearing and that wobble is what caused the first tire to seperate. Lot of dont knows, but one thing I do know is, a tube of grease is a lot cheaper than replacing bearing, hubs tires and wheels.

Grease is cheap, at least its cheaper than what can happen if you dont use grease. I was recently asked to go to Sumter Sc to pick up a 9000lb trackhoe. I used the guys truck and goose neck trailer to make the trip. I knew the truck was in decent shape, but I didnt know squat about the trailer, so I asked. OH, that trailer is in great shape, been well cared for. even have a brand new spare tire in the event of a flat. Well it made it empty to SC, but the return trip was a nitemare. Around Columbia sc, one of the tires decided to seperate. 95 degrees outside in a parking lot I got the tire changed, at that point, I did notice the hub had a slight wobble, but didnt really pay it any attention, It was hot and I just wanted to get on the road and get home. Stopped in Westminister SC and got fuel, did a walk around and everything looked ok. I was less than a hundred miles from home and it was getting dark. Made it home and pulled into my buddies driveway and walked around the trailer again, suprise, surprise, one wheel was missing off the trailer. Dont know when it came off, but suspect it was not far from where I stopped. I doubt I would have made it very far with just one tire on one side of trailer. The wheel that came off was the same one that had the tire come apart on it. The bearings had failed and I lost the hub and the new tire and wheel. It ruint the spindle on the axle also. So several hundred dollars all because the axles had not been greased properly. I also wonder if the wobble in the hub was because of the bad bearing and that wobble is what caused the first tire to seperate. Lot of dont knows, but one thing I do know is, a tube of grease is a lot cheaper than replacing bearing, hubs tires and wheels.
Dam right!

Yes, WAY more than "a bit", but we'll get it done! The drone is a DJI Air 2S. I like it a lot. Legally, drones are only allowed to fly up to 400' above ground level. Because I believe manned aircraft are required to stay above 500', which gives a 100' cushion. I'm not positive though, I'm strictly a novice at flying the drone. Legally, you're also supposed to only fly it as far as the eye can see. But I think according to the specs, I think it will fly up to 8 miles away from wherever the controller is, and still be in range.
Thanks for the advice, I'll look into the warranty.
I've read about the weight/operator laws, I don't really care, also supposed to register them. Now I'm on another list :laugh: .
I'm so tired of cookies and chunks getting in my way and moving them around more than once. So I promised myself to come up with a storage solution that didn't eat up valuable pallet space. I'm running out of room that is both close to my house and has good sun/wind so I decided to go upwards.
We usually have long shoulder seasons here. As an common example, 40's during the day and below freezing at night. Chunks are important to me for keeping the coals going in the stove during the day so I don't have to start a new fire every night.

I still have this pile of oak to process.
View attachment 1003369
View attachment 1003370

But ran out of pallet space. Everything in the middle between the rounds and splits are cookies and chunks.
View attachment 1003371

Started with a quality pallet. No plans, just started adding lumber and wondering how to deal with closing the front.
View attachment 1003375

I ended up using hinges with removable pins on one side, hooks on the other side. Removable pins so doors can be added or stored to match the level of chunks.
View attachment 1003376
Almost full and all of the cookies and chunks are gone from the pallets. The top door isn't needed at this point but I stuck it on for the picture.
View attachment 1003377
View attachment 1003378

Yesterday, I started cutting up the super large cookies into 16" long slabs, shown better in this earlier picture.
View attachment 1003379
View attachment 1003380
Looks great.
And when you're done using it for chunks you can turn it into a rabbit cage lol. I've been telling people that I'm considering a rabbitry, but I haven't found one to cut down yet :chainsaw: 😁.
I wouldn't mind getting paid for my blood. i donate to RC only to have the hospitals charge patients for it.
Blood donations are a big scam, many places have gotten into hot water because of them. They will have all sorts of drives and such, then the blood gets sold, then sold again, and again, and again. Interesting, many of the blood banks won't take the blood of those who have received the experimental jabs ;).
Yeah probably wasn't good for much after 10 years.
By good, you mean it's now too hard for your chains to cut right lol.
As I recall, it was this forum where the discussion of sealed bearings in mower decks occurred. This video takes things further than I believe any of us went in the discussion. It is very interesting!

Good stuff, are you working on one now, or just popped it not your feed?
I think you're trying to start a grease thread:laughing:. Just like oil, some is better than none. Personally I don't like a lot of grease on many pivot points that are not sealed such as on the tractor loaders, but I'll fill a sealed compartment, wheel bearings need very little and oil bathed wheel bearings are the best for trailers.
Till it comes out of one of the bearings, sometimes you need to remove the pull to see it come out. On the one I just rebuilt, it came out the top bearing, which is perfect, but now I need to clean/ then pressure wash the grease that sprayed out.

Went out to an Amish festival( Amish Family Farm Days) in the "hills" of East Ohio last week/this weekend, just got home. We saw some awesome wood products, lots of damaged trees as there was recently a large storm event out there, and had a great time hanging with friends.
We visited Laymen's Hardware, they have a good selection of products and many treasures from the past hanging up around the store, even saw a few things you guys might like.
I didn't get a picture of the wheelbarrows, sorry, but I did see this and a lot of old wood stoves. Lots of Amish in the store and they aren't too into having their pics taken, so I refrained from taking very many pictures.
Nice axe head :envy:, many of the products I thought were overpriced.

Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 9.34.12 AM.png

They had a nice selection of new cast, and lots of old hanging about.
This is a couple friends of ours we went out there with.

Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 9.34.39 AM.png

The guy on the left has been going out for the festival every yr for quite some time.
Here's his wife and one daughter, this is a screen shot from the websites home page about 3/4 the way down it, he was probably there, but doesn't like his picture taken( he didn't know I was taking it by the cast lol). This picture was taken the yr Jay passed, they didn't know it was posted on the website, sure my buddy was glad he wasn't in it :laugh:.
https://www.lehmans.com
Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 9.35.56 AM.png

Latest posts

Back