Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and me, have stopped in to Lehmans several times, on our way to the Paul Bunyon shows. It's a fun place to stop and look around.

SR
We had to go back another day as the first day we only had an hr or so the first day.
Had a great time out there, and since our friends know many people there, we had a cheap place to stay, and got a couple tours that others wouldn't get :clap: .

Good stuff, are you working on one now, or just popped it not your feed?
I think you're trying to start a grease thread:laughing:. Just like oil, some is better than none. Personally I don't like a lot of grease on many pivot points that are not sealed such as on the tractor loaders, but I'll fill a sealed compartment, wheel bearings need very little and oil bathed wheel bearings are the best for trailers.

This video popped up in my feed. However, the short/long story is that my father (now 88) insisted on mowing with the zero turn well past the time he should have stopped. He was trying to save me mowing time.... As a result he broke spindles and blades, broke spindles off the deck, bent the deck, broke/bent idler pullies, and otherwise damaged the machine. The primary problem is he cannot see all that well and kept hitting ash tree stumps (there are about 50 of them in the yard). Secondary factors are that he ran the mower deck too low and sometimes with nearly flat tires. Both conditions made it easier to hit stumps. I often found the mower stuck on stumps or stuck in the mud too. I repaired/rebuilt that thing so many times I lost count. The past couple years he has kindly left the mowing to me. It saves me a LOT of stress, aggravation, money and time as I can mow the place in 1/4 to 1/10 the time it took to repair the mower each time and I don't have to wait on parts!

This video popped up in my feed. However, the short/long story is that my father (now 88) insisted on mowing with the zero turn well past the time he should have stopped. He was trying to save me mowing time.... As a result he broke spindles and blades, broke spindles off the deck, bent the deck, broke/bent idler pullies, and otherwise damaged the machine. The primary problem is he cannot see all that well and kept hitting ash tree stumps (there are about 50 of them in the yard). Secondary factors are that he ran the mower deck too low and sometimes with nearly flat tires. Both conditions made it easier to hit stumps. I often found the mower stuck on stumps or stuck in the mud too. I repaired/rebuilt that thing so many times I lost count. The past couple years he has kindly left the mowing to me. It saves me a LOT of stress, aggravation, money and time as I can mow the place in 1/4 to 1/10 the time it took to repair the mower each time and I don't have to wait on parts!
I see.
How about a stump grinder :drinkingcoffee: .

I can relate. I was tasked with fixing my grandfather's mower for years. My mom and aunt didn't have the heart to tell him no and it wasn't my place so I shut my mouth and fixed it everytime he wadded it up. The final straw was when he nearly put it in the pond, which he was supposed to be staying well away from. Getting old sure isn't all it's cracked up to be...

Shame on you! I'm just kidding, I actually have the opposite issue this year. With fuel prices the way they are most the people I got wood off of are keeping the wood, or attempting to sell it. I have plenty for a few years to come, but always need more. I expect I'll be getting a few calls before longs as the other half will want the wood out of their yards lol.
zzzzxafo.JPG

I can relate. I was tasked with fixing my grandfather's mower for years. My mom and aunt didn't have the heart to tell him no and it wasn't my place so I shut my mouth and fixed it everytime he wadded it up. The final straw was when he nearly put it in the pond, which he was supposed to be staying well away from. Getting old sure isn't all it's cracked up to be...
seems u r right JRM - the progress gets slower and the problems get bigger ! :popcorn2:

It really depends on the spindle construction, and how much you mow. Once a year could be adequate or not at all, depending on how many hrs per year you mow. I would start by finding a service manual and see what it suggests for intervals.
I have a Scag with serviceable spindles. It is a bolt through spindle and has a relief so that you can not possibly over grease and over- pressurize a seal. I hit mine 2 or 3 times a year - grease is cheap. I Mow 6-7 acres. At ~2000 hrs I'm still on my original spindles.

View attachment 1003519View attachment 1003520
i wish exMark's were! at least not on my 60" zero turn. not sure how to get the pulleys off, much less the spindles apart. other spindles i have easily serviced, but these exMarks... seems they just want u to buy new. if u can get the pulleys off. so far, my only plan that i know will work is fire up the cutting torch. but i hate the destructive approach to mechanical repairs.... :cool:

maybe chipper knows?

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into the warranty.
I've read about the weight/operator laws, I don't really care, also supposed to register them. Now I'm on another list :laugh: .

Looks great.
And when you're done using it for chunks you can turn it into a rabbit cage lol. I've been telling people that I'm considering a rabbitry, but I haven't found one to cut down yet :chainsaw: 😁.

Blood donations are a big scam, many places have gotten into hot water because of them. They will have all sorts of drives and such, then the blood gets sold, then sold again, and again, and again. Interesting, many of the blood banks won't take the blood of those who have received the experimental jabs ;).

By good, you mean it's now too hard for your chains to cut right lol.

Good stuff, are you working on one now, or just popped it not your feed?
I think you're trying to start a grease thread:laughing:. Just like oil, some is better than none. Personally I don't like a lot of grease on many pivot points that are not sealed such as on the tractor loaders, but I'll fill a sealed compartment, wheel bearings need very little and oil bathed wheel bearings are the best for trailers.

Till it comes out of one of the bearings, sometimes you need to remove the pull to see it come out. On the one I just rebuilt, it came out the top bearing, which is perfect, but now I need to clean/ then pressure wash the grease that sprayed out.
:nofunny: too many to read.... in one fell swoop. for me, at least.... :reading:

Went out to an Amish festival( Amish Family Farm Days) in the "hills" of East Ohio last week/this weekend, just got home. We saw some awesome wood products, lots of damaged trees as there was recently a large storm event out there, and had a great time hanging with friends.
We visited Laymen's Hardware, they have a good selection of products and many treasures from the past hanging up around the store, even saw a few things you guys might like.
I didn't get a picture of the wheelbarrows, sorry, but I did see this and a lot of old wood stoves. Lots of Amish in the store and they aren't too into having their pics taken, so I refrained from taking very many pictures.
Nice axe head :envy:, many of the products I thought were overpriced.

View attachment 1003563

They had a nice selection of new cast, and lots of old hanging about.
This is a couple friends of ours we went out there with.

View attachment 1003564

The guy on the left has been going out for the festival every yr for quite some time.
Here's his wife and one daughter, this is a screen shot from the websites home page about 3/4 the way down it, he was probably there, but doesn't like his picture taken( he didn't know I was taking it by the cast lol). This picture was taken the yr Jay passed, they didn't know it was posted on the website, sure my buddy was glad he wasn't in it :laugh:.
https://www.lehmans.com
View attachment 1003565
interesting! sounds like at Lehman's.... work don't suck... and the place has been... 'cast to last!'

:givebeer:

swell story! thanks for sharing it. :) i can see all u mention. omg, seems it would take a lot to bust spindles... but maybe not at high speed and a sudden lock up of the spinning blade.

glad he eased up so u could mow vs repair. i can relate a bit to your story... oh how i hate to hit a post, T or wood with my mower or shredder!!! lol

have to admit, am a bit impressed that at 88 he is still or was still out mowing!!!

zzzzxgo.JPG

I see.
How about a stump grinder :drinkingcoffee: .
I just came back from mowing that property. The stumps are in the back part of the property and not visible from the road. With the mower deck up and placing the anti-scalp wheels, deck edge and finger in the right place any slightly high stumps can be cleared with a little finesse. The few big stumps (diameter and ground swell around the stump) are so big that my father could see them and never hit them. It doesn't hurt that I cut those trees about 6 years ago and the stumps are well into the process of rotting... another few years and it will be a non-issue on many levels.

i wish exMark's were! at least not on my 60" zero turn. not sure how to get the pulleys off, much less the spindles apart. other spindles i have easily serviced, but these exMarks... seems they just want u to buy new. if u can get the pulleys off. so far, my only plan that i know will work is fire up the cutting torch. but i hate the destructive approach to mechanical repairs.... :cool:

maybe chipper knows?

Are the pulleys a taper lock like in the picture I posted?

Haven't been on in a couple of days. You guys have been busy! I got the lawn mowed (most of it anyway) the other day, then went out to drop a standing dead maple that I had been eyeing. When I got out to it, I noticed three others. One was blown over in a wind storm a month ago or so, and three others that had had the tops blown/broken off a while ago, that were also dead. So, I dropped all three of them, then decided to clean up the one that was blown over in the wind as well. Started bucking them, then ran out of fuel. While I was refilling the saw, I realized that I should either pull them out of the woods with the Kubota or the side by side while whole, and buck them up while they're laying in the road, making my life easier. So, that's what I'll do in the next few days.

7-15-4.jpg
7-15-3.jpg
7-15-5.jpg
7-15-6.jpg
7-15-7.jpg
7-15-8.jpg

The lawn. Didn't look too bad, even if I do say so myself.

7-15-1.jpg
7-15-2.jpg

And then FINALLY, a beer! :)

7-15-9.jpg

swell story! thanks for sharing it. :) i can see all u mention. omg, seems it would take a lot to bust spindles... but maybe not at high speed and a sudden lock up of the spinning blade.

glad he eased up so u could mow vs repair. i can relate a bit to your story... oh how i hate to hit a post, T or wood with my mower or shredder!!! lol

have to admit, am a bit impressed that at 88 he is still or was still out mowing!!!
I thought the same thing about the spindles... and then one day he told me we needed a new bolt to hold the blade on. That puzzled me as I didn't recall bolts... only nuts on the spindles. When I looked at the spindle the treaded section was broken right off! That was a WTF moment! LOL

Three of my Grandkids enjoyed their trip to Cabela's yesterday (East Hartford, CT), and we got shotgun shells and 22 ammo. However, they would not sell me the Accurate 4350 powder (got blocked at the register). Seems it has been recalled.

It is about 70 miles each way, but the truck got over 23 MGP with numerous traffic jams in both directions. It is the closest Cabela's to me (the ones in NY are over 4 hours away), but at least it was an adventure for the kids and I got more ammo than I was expecting, 12 boxes of shotgun trap loads, 3-5pack boxes of saboted slugs (that I could not find last fall) and 2,400 rounds of 22.

Attachments

• IMG_20220716_141117628.jpg
    IMG_20220716_141117628.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220716_142332497.jpg
    IMG_20220716_142332497.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220716_142344191.jpg
    IMG_20220716_142344191.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220716_142356805.jpg
    IMG_20220716_142356805.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Three of my Grandkids enjoyed their trip to Cabela's yesterday (East Hartford, CT), and we got shotgun shells and 22 ammo. However, they would not sell me the Accurate 4350 powder (got blocked at the register). Seems it has been recalled.

It is about 70 miles each way, but the truck got over 23 MGP with numerous traffic jams in both directions. It is the closest Cabela's to me (the ones in NY are over 4 hours away), but at least it was an adventure for the kids and I got more ammo than I was expecting, 12 boxes of shotgun trap loads, 3-5pack boxes of saboted slugs (that I could not find last fall) and 2,400 rounds of 22.
What is your .22 ammo costing you? I think I paid about .07 cents per round for a box of 500 a few weeks ago.

Latest posts

Back