Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id love to port the Ms201 but I’ll live with it. How are you liking your Ms400, I have a 30cc gap between my 550XP and 7900 which would be nicely filled by an Ms400:)
Jeff. I find myself picking up the 400 most of the time now that I have it. Running it with a 20" bar. I haven't needed to put the 25" bar on it but I'm sure it would cut just fine. Better order one right away. :laugh:

I highly recommend the 400. Weight like a 362, power like a strong 440. It's my rear handle saw of choice for climbing. I used it today once the 2511 ran out of bar length. Eventually the 400 even ran out of bar length(25",) and I even took the 500i w/32" aloft.

No timed cuts compared to a 200t. The biggest difference was the responsiveness after porting and bumping up the compression. My 201tcm just revved slowly...advancing the timing isn't really a "thing" on the newer 201s. Just throwing a degree wheel on it, it was apparent why it built revs slowly.

The cylinders are so small, you can't do much with them, but it doesn't take much to wake them up.

Mine sounds pretty good now. I muffler modded it with a piece of tubing that comes out the side. I even put it at a 45* angle so it looks like a hot rod lol. Sorry, but no pictures. I think my favorite sounding climbing saw is my MM'ed 2511t...sounds like a swarm of angry bees. My favorite sounding saw of all, is my triple port 066. Obnoxiously loud, but has a nice deep lope at idle.
I don't usually find the need for a quick revving saw, but would rather have a wider sweet spot in the power curve, and out of the box the 201 beats the 200 in that area. Many times when I cut I don't even rev the saw until after I set it on the wood, I'm not brushing out softwoods though. It used to be that guys were always dogging the 201s even after stihl fixed the issues and then went to the mtronic setup, these days most know what I stated to be true.

That's a beasty machine. One of the guys I use for stumps has one, bummer is he can't always get where I want him to be, that why I had to rent this last time and also because of the job time-line.
It is a beast and tough to get into tight places. I only use it on our property behing my tractor. I paid $1400 for it used and it needed some work.

It is a beast and tough to get into tight places. I only use it on our property behing my tractor. I paid $1400 for it used and it needed some work.
That's a great price.
Sure you could recoup that quickly if you did a few stumps, but even just doing yours you've probably already paid for it.

I don't usually find the need for a quick revving saw, but would rather have a wider sweet spot in the power curve, and out of the box the 201 beats the 200 in that area. Many times when I cut I don't even rev the saw until after I set it on the wood, I'm not brushing out softwoods though. It used to be that guys were always dogging the 201s even after stihl fixed the issues and then went to the mtronic setup, these days most know what I stated to be true.

I think I found that sweet spot with mine, where it kept it's torque, yet has that zippy powerband for limbing.

I could see it not being a big deal in broad trees, but a quick saw works well for our conifers. Not uncommon for me to be able to zip several limbs without changing my position in the tree. I did a hardwood removal yesterday, each cut was just slower and more deliberate, if that makes sense. When I'm climbing a pine, I'm just peeling limbs off as fast as I can move the saw.

Cut up the storm damage felled ash trees from the neighbor's property that fell on my family's property... also a little something I picked up new for $500. Pivot in the wrong location so it lifts the wheels off the ground about 3" when vertical... certainly fixable. "Lost" in the warehouse for several years plus.

StormCutUp.gifSpeeCo35.gif

Cut up the storm damage felled ash trees from the neighbor's property that fell on my family's property... also a little something I picked up new for $500. Pivot in the wrong location so it lifts the wheels off the ground about 3" when vertical... certainly fixable. "Lost" in the warehouse for several years plus.

View attachment 1006004View attachment 1006005
500? Wow, you can't beat that with a stick!

I'm going to cut the slabwood that comes off my BSM into my "self-unloading" trailer. Here it is getting loaded off the end of my splitter,

IMG-3077-S.jpg

Problem is, this 50's era trailer has taken a beating over the years, and you can see in this pict. it's getting some holes in the sides,

Resized-20210514-134925-7553-S.jpg

Well, last summer I was rotary cutting a big field on an industrial site, and there was a sheet of tin laying in my way, so thinking I may need it someday, I threw it in the back of my PU, AND today was that day!

So, I took my side grinder with a cutoff wheel and split the sheet down the middle, as that made it just the right size to bolt on the side of my trailer,

Resized-20220727-151739-S.jpg

No it isn't "pretty", but I couldn't care less about THAT, I'm not into show, I'm into GO! lol

SR

Found some good fire starter the other day, pine blow down, full of pitch, sure smelled good 17D0FC25-6FBE-4AB3-8385-F9721FB1366A.jpeg34CD5E79-1253-4D90-B3E0-3F75319346E5.jpegMoved to a camp ground job today closer to home, sure nice to be out of the dust and dead trees for a bit84E8C1A1-CB68-4056-867F-BA347EE1D3FE.jpeg

Attachments

• C8493EFA-B7C2-4371-95CA-68D72978CF3B.jpeg
    C8493EFA-B7C2-4371-95CA-68D72978CF3B.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
I can completely understand about the weather. I dropped four standing dead maple last week, and they're still laying in the woods. Been too hot here, and a lot of rain, so I've been waiting for a decent break in the weather to drag them out and buck them. I just can't take the heat the way I used to anymore.
I hear that! I don't do well in the heat these days either bud!

Latest posts

Back