Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My old man bought an 89 F350 custom four door with the 7.3 and a standard five speed. Man what a pick up!👍 No turbo though. They didn't install the turbo until later year models I believe.
Have owned a lot of pickups. Half, 3/4 and one ton, but this is the first diesel I have had and I wish I had been buying them all along.

My old man bought an 89 F350 custom four door with the 7.3 and a standard five speed. Man what a pick up!👍 No turbo though. They didn't install the turbo until later year models I believe.
Nice!
I like my pickup, I liked my last one better in some ways, 95 7.3 5 speed 31B4A35C-68F5-445F-A395-E2EDDCBB4DFA.jpeg

That's a great price.
Sure you could recoup that quickly if you did a few stumps, but even just doing yours you've probably already paid for it.
I had to replace the lower two cutter wheel bearing pillow blocks @ $200 for the pair. A new double link chain, $60 and a new banded drive belt which was around $75 if I recall correctly. I have done 50 or 60 stumps on our property with it since I bought it. It has paid for itself easily. I just put a new battery in it back in May. I have a fairly new 65hp Wisconsin V465D motor for it with electronic ignition that has under 300 hours on it. I bought that motor for $300 in a used concrete cutter from a local rental company that upgraded all of its equipment. My motor uses a bit of oil every time I use it. Hopefully in the near future I will be swapping this one on to my stump grinder.

We used to replace a couple rusted through Ford oil pans a month when the late 80s to 96 trucks were more common. The 300 definitely needs the engine to be lifted. We had a 2×6 with a half circle cut out on one end to match the balancer. After removing the fan and shroud we would jack the engine enough to slip the pan out to the rear. You also have to remove the oil pickup and maybe the oil pump to get it to come out. It's been at least ten years since I did one. Not terribly hard but it's messy.
Thank you. Maybe if I poured enough diesel fuel through the engine as someone had mentioned, I can wash everything out of the oil drain hole.

Now normally I would make sure I catch up on all the posts before posting myself but I couldn't let this go. I go away for a couple of weeks and you blokes let this atrocity occur??

I had a knock at the door yesterday evening, wasn't expecting anyone so immediately thought it's likely someone who will ask, 'do you want that wood?' and glance sheepishly at the remaining Oak out the front of the house. Now what's left there after my heroic 60 + wheel barrow marathon, is about a third of a cube of the most horrible big crotches and huge 'risk a hernia or slipped disk just to look at them' bits. I need to get the big saw out to chunk them up a bit before they go in the barrow to the back. So as I walked to the door I was considering saying, ' no you can have it if you like.'. However recognising that would lead to scrounge membership revocation I thought maybe...'I'll sell it, yours for £20'..... But no. I open the door and the guy starts as I expected, ' hi I pass by lots and see you've always got loads of wood....'. Go on I think..... And then there's an unexpected twist....'I've just taken down a load of Leylandii, it's all cut up into short bits, would you like it?' 😱😲😲😲

When I regained my voice, I had to thank him for thinking of me but pass! I've no room! I am full. My wife would have ripped my balls off if I'd done different.... Scrounge card tendered for surrender 😞😞

I remember my brother's advice when starting to scrounge.... Be prepared for feast and famine, never turn wood down because you 'have enough'. Well this summer has been feast. Actually it's been over doing it somewhat but with our gas prices expected to rise another 75%. (yes, 75%, on top of the almost doubling we've already seen in the last year) I'm glad I've wood and wood stoves. It's financially sensible even when on the mains now.

I never thought I'd see the day. Neil, you keep scrounging until your front yard looks like this, and that's after you've filled the 15 cord shed. If your kids look as impressed as mine did, well that's just a bonus.

6th Sep 3.jpg

Now I have to go back to reading the last fortnight's posts, I'll see you all in a week. :cheers:

Now normally I would make sure I catch up on all the posts before posting myself but I couldn't let this go. I go away for a couple of weeks and you blokes let this atrocity occur??

I never thought I'd see the day. Neil, you keep scrounging until your front yard looks like this, and that's after you've filled the 15 cord shed. If your kids look as impressed as mine did, well that's just a bonus.

View attachment 1006060

Now I have to go back to reading the last fortnight's posts, I'll see you all in a week. :cheers:
Is that pile now as small as the kids were then 😆.
It sure is a nice pile though.

Well, I’ve been divorced one year as of yesterday. It’s been an interesting (and mostly good) journey.
I've been divorced once myself. It's a bittersweet feeling. I don't regret not being with the ex, but I hated getting divorced. Forget the 50% financial stake that I lost, I just felt like a "failure" when going through it. I'm personally WAY better off without her, and now having my current wife, but I just felt like there was a stigma attached to going through a divorce. You DO know why divorces are so expensive, right? BECAUSE THEY'RE WORTH IT!

I know that I could use the search function, and that this question has been asked and discussed probably 5K times on this forum, but I want to ask it again here on this thread, because I value the guys opinions that post on this page more so than all of the other threads.

I've now acquired a lot more different sized bars and chains now than I've ever had before, and hand sharpening all of them is getting to be a PITA, due to having to mount them on a bar, and then on a powerhead etc....So, I think I'm going to get a grinder. Cost isn't a huge concern, I have no problem paying a few hundred bucks for one that you guys think is worth it, but would you steer me in the direction of ones that you guys prefer please? I haven't researched them yet, but I'm guessing that they will all allow you to put them at a 30 degree (or whichever specific angle you want) pitch, correct? In any event, which ones do you guys like and recommend the most? Thanks.

I know that I could use the search function, and that this question has been asked and discussed probably 5K times on this forum, but I want to ask it again here on this thread, because I value the guys opinions that post on this page more so than all of the other threads.

I've now acquired a lot more different sized bars and chains now than I've ever had before, and hand sharpening all of them is getting to be a PITA, due to having to mount them on a bar, and then on a powerhead etc....So, I think I'm going to get a grinder. Cost isn't a huge concern, I have no problem paying a few hundred bucks for one that you guys think is worth it, but would you steer me in the direction of ones that you guys prefer please? I haven't researched them yet, but I'm guessing that they will all allow you to put them at a 30 degree (or whichever specific angle you want) pitch, correct? In any event, which ones do you guys like and recommend the most? Thanks.
Yeah, just downsize, period. All this hobbying around and stuff is fun for a while. But, get yourself down to a few good saws, and spares for each, and call it a day. Keep up with your bread and butter, and don't look on the other side of the fence, that grass isn't realy greener, its just more work to go get you some to eat......

Latest posts

Back