Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nate! Do run Stihl or Husky? And what model and size do you like best?
I was just getting ready to msg you, lol. I run both, been mostly using the 500i, dual port muffler. I like the 500, the weight is awesome. Other than the weight I like a ported 572 WAY better though. The 500 will cut a little faster but the chain will actually stall easier than the 572. I have 2 500’s and their both the same. I know according to others and specs it shouldn’t be that way but that is my experience. With 32” bar and moderately aggressive chain the 572 will slow down but it keeps pulling, the 500 the chain just stops if you put too much pressure on it, very frustrating. The 572 also has a larger clutch cover and chip flap so chips are directed down instead of at the operator. It’s also a little smoother.

No problem with the air filter at all (stock) on the 500 and it does have great throttle response but drinks more fuel limbing than most other saws. Just stumping I don’t see much difference though. Some of it is just personal preference too. I like the handles better on husky. And I hate sthil flippy caps! Lol.

I was just getting ready to msg you, lol. I run both, been mostly using the 500i, dual port muffler. I like the 500, the weight is awesome. Other than the weight I like a ported 572 WAY better though. The 500 will cut a little faster but the chain will actually stall easier than the 572. I have 2 500’s and their both the same. I know according to others and specs it shouldn’t be that way but that is my experience. With 32” bar and moderately aggressive chain the 572 will slow down but it keeps pulling, the 500 the chain just stops if you put too much pressure on it, very frustrating. The 572 also has a larger clutch cover and chip flap so chips are directed down instead of at the operator. It’s also a little smoother.
Solid info and I thankyou. That is all good to know! Be safe out there bud👍

No problem with the air filter at all (stock) on the 500 and it does have great throttle response but drinks more fuel limbing than most other saws. Just stumping I don’t see much difference though. Some of it is just personal preference too. I like the handles better on husky. And I hate sthil flippy caps! Lol.
Stihl's quick caps are a horrible design! I cant stand them! No matter how careful and clean a person fills the oil reservoir. Every nook and cranny on and around the cap, Stihl collects oil caked saw waste! 😡 I cant stand it. I feel that every time I open the tank. Waste is just falling in the tank and getting pumped through the oiler! It probably all part of gods plan! 😂 I'd much rather have the screw cap's! I haven't experienced huskies quick caps, but they look like a much better design!👍

R
I here you on the 70cc saws. Besides the 462R I run at work, I've got a pretty strong running 440 in the shop right now. As good as they run, they just start to lose rpm when you lean on them in a big cut.

That's what I like about my 066. I can just set the dogs and blitz right through the back cut if the tree has a heavy head lean. The 500i isn't quite that strong, but at least I'm not flirting with stalling the chain out like a 70cc saw.

IMO, a 32" is the perfect bar length for a 500i. It pulls that bar length just fine and can even do the 36" if you need it.
Roger! 👍 Yeah, there really is no comparison between 90cc and 70cc when all 32" is burried and your pour'n the coals to her with a bit of pressure on your cut. That's my biggest b***h about a 70cc saw. They are great as far as weight goes and they can produce! Unfortunately, they just don't have the sack a 90cc has when you really need it!👍

R

Roger! 👍 Yeah, there really is no comparison between 90cc and 70cc when all 32" is burried and your pour'n the coals to her with a bit of pressure on your cut. That's my biggest b***h about a 70cc saw. They are great as far as weight goes and they can produce! Unfortunately, they just don't have the sack a 90cc has when you really need it!👍
That's my complaint with the 462 I use at work. Part of what I'm doing is falling hazard trees. The weight of the saw is great to hike with or cut with on bad ground. However, I sometimes spend more time under a sketchy tree than I would like to with it.

It's not so bad with the softwoods, but I had to cut a bunch of burning/burnt out oaks awhile back with it. Chain binding up on my undercut, and then having to finesse my way through the back cut...trying to pour the coals to stay ahead of the split, yet not stall it out either.

That's my complaint with the 462 I use at work. Part of what I'm doing is falling hazard trees. The weight of the saw is great to hike with or cut with on bad ground. However, I sometimes spend more time under a sketchy tree than I would like to with it.

It's not so bad with the softwoods, but I had to cut a bunch of burning/burnt out oaks awhile back with it. Chain binding up on my undercut, and then having to finesse my way through the back cut...trying to pour the coals to stay ahead of the split, yet not stall it out either.
I get that! I give you props and mad respect for doing that kind of cutting! It's what separates the dogs from the pups! 👍 Be safe out there man, and keep your head up, down, and all around!

Wow! If what your saying is true? You definitely have my attention! Im going to research the hell out of the 500i stat's and reviews for sure now. 👍My biggest worry is spending the coin on a power head and having it shipped to a remote camp and end up disappointed. Because then I'd have a brand new saw that I intended fir my primary, but would just end up as a brand new back up that is not used nearly as often! If that makes any sense.
You need to try one kid…again, saws butter your bread…so only you can decide.

who knows, you may miss the 661 hurting your back or need it like Linus needs his blanket…lol

Looks great.
Dang beetles, ash trees dead everywhere.
I have been finding more and more that have made it through the initial devastation those buggers caused. Hopefully they are on their way out and these trees can thrive.
I have Ash blight in my trees and it is killing them all off. Not happy at all about it and have had a professional look at them.

I have Ash blight in my trees and it is killing them all off. Not happy at all about it and have had a professional look at them.
Yea , hopefully you can save them early preventative treatment is key but not always successful its a very destructive insect, that can kill every ash tree in its path

So dose my mint 066 with her 36" Sandvik chromium bar! 👍 I've never shown you guys or talked about this saw. She is probably my favorite saw. Pretty much a saw shop shelf princess now. That I like to just have on display. I only run about a 1/4 tank through her a few times a year to keep her a little loosened up and at the ready. 👍

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware! IMG_20220803_192615558.jpg

So dose my mint 066 with her 36" Sandvik chromium bar! 👍 I've never shown you guys or talked about this saw. She is probably my favorite saw. Pretty much a saw shop shelf princess now. That I like to just have on display. I only run about a 1/4 tank through her a few times a year to keep her a little loosened up and at the ready. 👍

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware! View attachment 1007673
She’s a beauty !!

Was a pic when it was new , not anymore lol

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware! View attachment 1007673
At least now I know what to sent u for Christmas. Chrome polish. :laugh:

Back