Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Especially this one, I've been working in one of the "fruiter" areas of Cali...unfortunately, the money is where all the fruitcakes are lol. I don't want to turn this thread political or anything, but the county I live in isn't really representative of stereotypical California, politically, socio-economically, or even terrain for that matter...you'd think you were in Idaho or something if you were suddenly "zapped" to here.

That being said, we don't exactly have the wealth or whatever you want to call it that a lot of the other state has...tech giants and multi-million dollar vineyard owners usually don't call my county home. I mostly stopped doing side work here, as it's not worth it to me...I can drive 2 hours and make 3x as much money for a day rate.

I really need to get back out to the coast and back to cutting redwood. Climbing these broad trees is kicking my azz...the reds were cake work, climb/strip, take the top out, and repeat. Occasionally get to chunk down big logs with one of my falling saws, good times.

I'm excited to get this walnut milled. I don't know if I'll build something, sell it, or do both. Either way, it's a nice little bonus I wasn't expecting.
Let's see some milling pics when you get you done.

Doesn't sound like you'd like the trees here then lol. I do a little work with pine/spruce, but the majority is hardwood. Last week I looked at a potential job "pruning" a 16" red oak branch over a house. It's not what I normally do because I mainly work alone and I'm not a proficient climber or rigger, but if I rent a lift I can make a good paycheck and get everything down safely, and come in at a reasonable price. I already told him the approximate range of cost and that the lift was the variable, and it sounded as though he was up for it, just need to check the prices. Not sure if he will want the wood, or if I'll have another cord of red oak in the green wood pile. I had a buddy stop by tonight that took a 2x2x8' container that he will be using for his meat birds(chickens), he said they cut some supporting roots on a couple large pines at one of his cottages, you could come help me on those if I get them :). They are big trees for pines, way bigger than what I usually work with. I'll need to get some felling advice from the PNW/AK fellers on falling these fellers 😄.

I'm not afraid of heights, so I'm pretty good on the pines/firs/reds/whatever other tall conifers. Most of the technique with these are just the different cuts you can do to manipulate the limbs. Some people have issues with the big conifers, because they freak out when they look down after stripping out 125'+ of tree...the actual climbing is really straightforward on those IMO. Plus I get off by being up a tall pine tree when the wind's blowing, makes you feel alive lol.

The big broad trees take skill to climb. I'm not exactly God's gift to the climbing world either, so I probably work harder/expend more energy to do them than I should. I'm not going to lie, that walnut had me a bit concerned as I was cutting the tops out on it. The integrity of the wood in tree form did not inspire a lot of confidence and I took extra measures to avoid splitting of the stem. On top of all that, I'm working with guys on this job that have little to no climbing/rigging experience. Rigging can be a giant PITA without solid groundies.

I don't climb with a camera as much as I'd like to, honestly it's a distraction, but I do use it when cutting my own trees. Here was one from a heavy back leaner that me and one of my friends did awhile back...I speed line whenever I get the opportunity to use it. This tree I set a pull line in, so I didn't really didn't have to cut the limbs, but I was able to make 3 neat burn piles without ever moving a limb on the ground. 1 was the speedline pile, the 2nd was the hand thrown limbs on the other side of the tree, and the 3rd was the stuff at the top.

Re-watching my vid makes me realize what a sissy I am when cutting near buildings lol.

Let's see some milling pics when you get you done.
You guys will be the first to see the finished product...I'm actually excited to see the walnut get milled, I've never really messed with the stuff other than when I was the lowly sanding kid at custom cabinet shop years ago.

I'm not afraid of heights, so I'm pretty good on the pines/firs/reds/whatever other tall conifers. Most of the technique with these are just the different cuts you can do to manipulate the limbs. Some people have issues with the big conifers, because they freak out when they look down after stripping out 125'+ of tree...the actual climbing is really straightforward on those IMO. Plus I get off by being up a tall pine tree when the wind's blowing, makes you feel alive lol.

The big broad trees take skill to climb. I'm not exactly God's gift to the climbing world either, so I probably work harder/expend more energy to do them than I should. I'm not going to lie, that walnut had me a bit concerned as I was cutting the tops out on it. The integrity of the wood in tree form did not inspire a lot of confidence and I took extra measures to avoid splitting of the stem. On top of all that, I'm working with guys on this job that have little to no climbing/rigging experience. Rigging can be a giant PITA without solid groundies.

I don't climb with a camera as much as I'd like to, honestly it's a distraction, but I do use it when cutting my own trees. Here was one from a heavy back leaner that me and one of my friends did awhile back...I speed line whenever I get the opportunity to use it. This tree I set a pull line in, so I didn't really didn't have to cut the limbs, but I was able to make 3 neat burn piles without ever moving a limb on the ground. 1 was the speedline pile, the 2nd was the hand thrown limbs on the other side of the tree, and the 3rd was the stuff at the top.

Re-watching my vid makes me realize what a sissy I am when cutting near buildings lol.

Depending on the lift I get I'd be speed-lining a lot of what I do on that red oak. Unfortunately the one spot I have to drop it in is just off his drive in the front yard, so I'll need to put plywood down beforehand and then move everything out once finished. Would be nice to have a ground guy to do that, maybe the boy will be able to go with if I get it and start on it soon.
Nice video, better safe than sorry :).

Impressive to say the least and hats off to ya! 👍 I've always wanted to learn how to piece and climb, but my job is so focused on working entire strips and groves from the ground that I never had the opportunity or time to learn anything from a climber.

Well, the Feller Buncher is broke down again boys! So its the three of us cutter's on the crew going balls to the walls on the saw until its fixed! 👎 Came close to clubbing the hell out of myself yesterday morning! Had to take a breather and convince myself to slow down a little and pay more attention!

Time to go to work. Talk to you fellas later.

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware

Where can I find some light weight 32" bars?!?! Anyone please!!! I'll all but sell my soul for a couple. Any Maker will work!!!
Those are getting pretty hard to come by with supply chain all screwed up , will keep a eye out , maybe some members can chime in most suppliers are waiting on manufacturers now .

Depending in the brand and model it's likely worth more then what you paid for it. Only reason I got my B7510 so cheap was it didn't have a loader, the pictures showed it was on the rough side, needed new tires and no pictures of the belly mower. Got there realized it's was actually in pretty good shape mechanically, low balled the amd ended up taking it home. With 4 new r14 style tires and building my loader (with ssqa) I have right over $7k in it. Cheapest way I could get into the size (smallest that would work) I needed.
Massey Ferguson with the Sisu turbo diesel.

Pulling the 4-bottom in my wonderful clay.....

Attachments

• plowing lower field.jpg
    plowing lower field.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
There not cheap that’s for sure
Welcome to the new economy! When energy costs soar, the cost of producing, growing and transporting everything increases.

I won't get into the reasons, even though they are as clear as the nose on your face, because telling the truth about these things seems to be forboden in our free Country!

Welcome to the new economy! When energy costs soar, the cost of producing, growing and transporting everything increases.

I won't get into the reasons, even though they are as clear as the nose on your face, because telling the truth about these things seems to be forboden in our free Country!
Yup

Back