Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Impressive to say the least and hats off to ya! 👍 I've always wanted to learn how to piece and climb, but my job is so focused on working entire strips and groves from the ground that I never had the opportunity or time to learn anything from a climber.

Well, the Feller Buncher is broke down again boys! So its the three of us cutter's on the crew going balls to the walls on the saw until its fixed! 👎 Came close to clubbing the hell out of myself yesterday morning! Had to take a breather and convince myself to slow down a little and pay more attention!

Time to go to work. Talk to you fellas later.

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware
Thanks, aside from having the shop right underneath it, that was actually an example of an easy tree to climb. The really skinny trees aren't much to gaff into and your flipline can slip on them...the larger trees require better flip line technique to advance the line up the tree. Also pine is an easy species to climb, it's easy to set your spurs into them. Cedar and Redwood have bark so thick that you're sometimes just gaffed into bark. The bark also starts to collect and foul up your spurs.

I've got friends that are gyppo loggers out on the coast. They still occasionally climb redwoods, although it's usually because they're harvesting trees near structures/other hazards. The olden days it was to rig old growth trees. The ground is so bad there, they usually aren't in lead...it's just wherever you can fit the tree w/o busting it.

Yeah, sometimes you gotta slow down to go fast. I sometimes start to rush things and that's when I start making mistakes. Or with climbing, I get tired and start taking bigger pieces or taking shortcuts.

Where can I find some light weight 32" bars?!?! Anyone please!!! I'll all but sell my soul for a couple. Any Maker will work!!!
I know, I'm going to try and find a new 28" Stihl light today. I'm doing some more sidework on a thinning project and would like to get another 28" to run on my little 400. It's mostly cutting small trees/large shrubs with the occasional dead/defect tree. My 28" bar is on my saw at my real work.

It ended up being a gorgeous day here for the most part. A high of about 74, but a nice breeze, and just a few drops of rain. Spend seven or eight hours in the woods. Today was very productive by my standards LOL! I really like using the quick hitch to drag logs. It works like a log arch.

View attachment 1005365

View attachment 1005366

View attachment 1005367

View attachment 1005368
sometimes, size don't matter! i am never not impressed with what diesel tractors can and will do!

Just came in from putting out the trash and recycling. Never have much of either. I was greeted to a large wasp nest full of wasps when i opened the recycling been. It was a surprise cause a month ago I sprayed a nest half that size in there. Thot I got them all cause it was so early in the morning. So much for that idea. Killed a bunch today again.
I expect them and am leary of moving stuff at the cabin, but not here at the house.
big or small! :omg:

i hate hunting for hidden nests with flyers hither n yon... but stumbled into, onto this one other day doing some cleaning out on patio -
P1010002.JPGP1010003.JPG
one must have gotten some overspray... found it dead on other side of yard few days later! -

Hey guys. Couple of things:
Yesterday and the boys spend about eight hours each working at my neighbors clearing brush. In addition to them lining their wallets nicely for their time, we ended up with about a cord of mixed softwood for free.
Hope all is well with you folks, this week’s project is fixing my sons F150, the composite cam gear stripped out on the straight six.

View attachment 1005493View attachment 1005495
been there done that! the OE comps good til they oil soak and the let the teeth go flying! you did a great job on stripping. lol usually only take one or two, and then... PP timing.

Well you know it’s hot when the bar oil runs like 0 weight oil . :surprised3: Started on the pile today at the farm 92 degrees no shade . I did drop 4 trees and guess what nice oak is going to get buried about 4 cords just can’t drag it out today . The trucks keep coming with fill been taking long breaks sitting in the truck with the air blasting 947FDCFC-F5FF-4466-92C6-459B16B2F7EA.jpeg216345BB-B2E4-4A06-8B21-25BF679E6CC1.jpeg09E7ECCB-0302-48A9-86C1-414B6354DC7D.jpeg

Ebay had a few stihl light bars last time I was looking. I did end up ordering a 24" for the ms400. Prices were kinda high, and pickings kinda slim for light weight bars over that.
Glad I stocked up on saws, bars and chain years ago ... don't think I'll need anything else for a long time. Stocked up on lots of Stihl square file chain that a guy was making for me from a spool.

Unfortunately, the Stihl 24" E bars are NLA. They were inexpensive, light and had a yellow tip rating (instead of green like the 20" E bars).

I thought the Stihl light bars (28" and 36") were expensive when I got them but seems like only about half (or less) of current price.

I have several "project saws" to finish, but I don't need any of them. Currently have 15 runners and it seems I do a lot less cutting than I used to do. Four of them are pretty much used just for milling.

Glad I stocked up on saws, bars and chain years ago ... don't think I'll need anything else for a long time. Stocked up on lots of Stihl square file chain that a guy was making for me from a spool.

Unfortunately, the Stihl 24" E bars are NLA. They were inexpensive, light and had a yellow tip rating (instead of green like the 20" E bars).

I thought the Stihl light bars (28" and 36") were expensive when I got them but seems like only about half (or less) of current price.

I have several "project saws" to finish, but I don't need any of them. Currently have 15 runners and it seems I do a lot less cutting than I used to do. Four of them are pretty much used just for milling.
I wish when I started buying other bars for my husqy's I just got the stihl mount and adapter, but at that point i didn't own any stihls that would use the bar amd really adapters suck. Just one more thing for me to loose. Kinda kicking myself now. But I am convinced I'll be letting a few more saws go over winter.
Really thinking the 394xp, 346xp, and 359 will be getting sold. Also if I get time to mess with that red max gz4000 depending if I like it or not, that will hit the pike as well. Just too many projects and too much o p e. To keep up after.

Hope I didn’t miss anything in the last 7 pages.

Lots of running in the last two days. Did about 17 hours of driving around MN. Work, dental appointments, and visiting extended family.

My 2A collection improved as well. Acquired a few shotguns from my aunt that belonged to my late cousin and uncle. The gun from my cousin was given to him by my father in the 70’s for hunting pheasants on my grandpa’s farm so it’s a neat homecoming to add to my collection. And picked up a couple of pistols from a gun shop on the way home.

View attachment 1008374
Got a few hours of splitting done this morning before the monsoon rolled in and soaked my ass. Decided to bring my scrounge-buggy home for a much over-due oil change. Compact tractors are nice, and I could see where a utv would have some benefits, but I can't get past the price tag for "a toy".
Same here with spending a small fortune for a toy.

Back