Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Between everything else going on, I'm still trying to get the two loads of logs milled, here's a pretty nice pine log going on the BSM,

I'm milling these into 2x4's, 6's, 8's, 10's, and 12's, whatever the log will produce,
The load of pine is now done,
SO, it's now time to get started on the second load of logs,

Resized-20220809-155551-S.jpg

SR
I'm sorry, but I don't see any usable logs in that second load. Not a sawyer so maybe you can enlighten me.

I'm sorry, but I don't see any usable logs in that second load. Not a sawyer so maybe you can enlighten me.
Not usable for what purpose???

The answer is easy, the logs belong to someone else, and he wants them milled.

I'm betting there will be some interesting grain in some of the lumber, and that's what he's after...

SR

The only good wasp or hornet for that matter is a dead one.

Last year I found a suggestion to mix liquid flea and tick killer with cat food and put it out for the hornets, that it would be carried back to the nest and kill all of them. I put it out early dusk, and that was the last activity I saw from that nest. We knew where the nest was, a helper friend found it while thinning tiny trees with a small chainsaw. He ran the saw right across above the nest, and got stung a few times. I found another nest a few weeks ago while cutting a tree that fell across our foot trail. I rolled away a section I cut, and out came the hornets. It went right over their nest. I went and cut elsewhere until they calmed down. So we’ll be doing that again next time up.

Some of you guys may get a kick out of this, found it on craigslist.
That bullet drop compensator :ices_rofl:, you may need to read it twice to catch it lol.
View attachment 1009438
🤔 Must be one of those new fangdangled short mags that just got introduced! ☝️ Or maybe a wildcat with ballistic's so hot that it has its own optics manufacturer! 🤣🤣🤣

Back lashes are a bummer no doubt! If at all possible? Maybe you could replace the wire rope with some Amsteel blue or Amsteel grey spectra when it comes time to switch it out. I've seen nightmare backlashes that had to be taken off the drum with oxy acetylene! 👎 Spectra is much easier to deal with and you can fit more spectra of the same breaking strength as cable on the drum!👍

Just my two cents in case you didn't already know.
I haven't looked into either of those options. I will just so that I can price it. My only concern is abrasion resistance. Most of the places on these mountains I have access to are rocky.

Shea

I haven't looked into either of those options. I will just so that I can price it. My only concern is abrasion resistance. Most of the places on these mountains I have access to are rocky.

Shea
I understand your concern and that is definitely a problem with synthetic cable. It won't hold up to that kind of abrasion for a decent amount of time like wire rope. If it were to be hauled through blocks or even just a 1:1 straight pull without breaking over objects in the process. Spectra would last a very long time. 👍

Not usable for what purpose???

The answer is easy, the logs belong to someone else, and he wants them milled.

I'm betting there will be some interesting grain in some of the lumber, and that's what he's after...

SR
It wasn't criticism, so I hope you didn't take offense. All I see out of those crooked trees with a lot of branching is knotty weak lumber. I see it with uneducated eyes. If that's what the customer wants...

🤔 Must be one of those new fangdangled short mags that just got introduced! ☝️ Or maybe a wildcat with ballistic's so hot that it has its own optics manufacturer! 🤣🤣🤣
Yeah when I saw that I got a good chuckle.
I see some interesting things in my searches for sure. Funny that an obvious error like that made it to production.

Good morning gentlemen! Enjoy the day and...

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!
Morning.
Probably won't be cutting today, working on the trailer later.
Last night I cut a bunch of smaller ash, all previously dead standing, it all went on the for sale pile. Then cut a few sticks of cherry that went on the for sale next yr/ not seasoned yet. But I wouldn't doubt that pile sells this fall. I think people will be more desperate for wood, or preparing for two seasons out, I sold most of the wood I'd have sold this fall this spring, people were planning ahead for these ridiculous fuel costs.

It wasn't criticism, so I hope you didn't take offense. All I see out of those crooked trees with a lot of branching is knotty weak lumber. I see it with uneducated eyes. If that's what the customer wants...
But, you are looking at it like it will be "construction" lumber, he is looking at it like it will be interesting "furniture" lumber.

Like I said before, bet there's going to be some good-looking lumber in those logs.

SR

I got a bit lucky yesterday. Went to a local sporting goods store looking for some reloading powder but found nothing that I use. They also did not have the saboted shotgun shells I was looking to buy.

However, they had something I did not expect ... I picked up 1,000 small rifle primers and I already have the powder for that!!! :)

Last year I found a suggestion to mix liquid flea and tick killer with cat food and put it out for the hornets, that it would be carried back to the nest and kill all of them. I put it out early dusk, and that was the last activity I saw from that nest. We knew where the nest was, a helper friend found it while thinning tiny trees with a small chainsaw. He ran the saw right across above the nest, and got stung a few times. I found another nest a few weeks ago while cutting a tree that fell across our foot trail. I rolled away a section I cut, and out came the hornets. It went right over their nest. I went and cut elsewhere until they calmed down. So we’ll be doing that again next time up.
My least favorite part about running a saw or mower later in the summer is all those damn ground nests!

Some of you guys may get a kick out of this, found it on craigslist.
That bullet drop compensator :ices_rofl:, you may need to read it twice to catch it lol.
View attachment 1009438

If they name of the .233 Creedmoor I’m sure it will sell.

Never seen such ridiculousness amongst the gun writers in my life. They endlessly pimp a cartridge that does most things well but nothing spectacular.

Latest posts

Back