Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I told my cousin about the stings he said he went half his life with no reaction to stings. Then one day he got hit several times by Yellow Jackets, and just kept working along. One of his guys who happened to be highly allergic, saw him and said, ā€œBoss, we gotta get you to the hospital, you are having a reaction ā€œ . By the time they got there his throat was tightening up. Now he Carrieā€™s an EPI pen. But from what Iā€™ve heard, you can go from no reaction with one incident, to dead on the next. I should take them more seriously.
Yup. People who are normally ā€œimmuneā€ to stings get to where the body is overloaded and thenā€¦what happened here. The body develops a toleranceā€¦to a point. When that point is reachedā€¦

anyone who works where this is a possible issue should have several up to date Epipens handy. This, imo, should be mandatory.

Yeah, I've always cleaned the bar rails on a regular basis. For that matter, I clean the saw on a regular basis too.

I run the oiler wide open on most of my saws, the one exception is probably my ms400. I've got the HO461 oiler guts inside of it and I have to turn it down when I'm running a 25" light on it.

After porting that saw and upgrading the oiler, I could run a 32" on it if I so desired. I have the 500i and the 044 hybrids/big bores for that, but the thought of running a 32" on a powerhead that weighs 1.5lbs lighter than a 044(and makes noticeably more power than a stock 044) does sound pretty appealing sometimes.
So, 400 vs a 462ā€¦what would you pick?
I picked up a 462 the others day at the saw storeā€¦insanely light, nice balance with the 28 that was on it. Not like the old days, lolā€¦
Have not seen a 400 yet :p

I've had this one for quite awhile, but can't recall exactly where I acquired it. I didn't think it had a brand name on it, but lo and behold, it's a Mac! I don't think I've ever used it to set my rakers or check my angles, but I do use View attachment 1012246it to clean out my bars.
Wow, wha happened to the fingers?

Opening up more roads on my hill that haven't been mowed in over 3 years. One of them was last done 12 years ago. That was not fun.
View attachment 1012317
Used to do that on the family ranch in Cloverdale, caā€¦miss that place. šŸ˜”

So, 400 vs a 462ā€¦what would you pick?
I picked up a 462 the others day at the saw storeā€¦insanely light, nice balance with the 28 that was on it. Not like the old days, lolā€¦
Have not seen a 400 yet :p
Congrats on the new acquisition.

I actually run a 462R at work, so I'm familiar with both of them. I did the wrap handle kit on my 400, between that and oiler upgrade, the 462R would've made more financial sense. However I wanted the lightest rear handle saw for climbing that could still run a 25 or 28" bar...so the 400 was the clear winner on that front. In the past, I've run a 362R and really liked that except for the lack of power...the 400 handles like the 362, but almost pulls like the 462.

I like the 400 so much, that climbing is only a small amount of what I do with it. It's also my "small" falling saw...for times I don't need the 500i. I ported it and did some milling to the squish band and base, so it can actually run a 32". That being said, I run the 32" on the 500i usually. On my 462R work saw, I'm running a 28" lightweight.

Ok, so final verdict...depends. If I already have a small limbing saw and want a falling saw, probably the 462. In my case...I already owned a 50cc and then had multiple 70, 76, 90, &122cc saws. The 400 seemed like it kinda plugged the 60cc hole in my line up(weight-wise at least.)

Did some scrounging on the weekend at my best mate place from primary school, heā€™s on 40 acres of mainly wooded land. Plenty of dead Eucā€™s around the place, we felled 3 trees. The first one my mate cut down. I told him there was a fair bit of leverage up high and it would go the wrong wayā€¦. And it did. The next tree I felled and it fell as I predicted. 3rd tree I felled, I was pretty sure it was going to go one way but my mate was sure I was wrong. I followed his way of thinking and ended up with pic below, hung up on a tree next to it stuck on the hinge. I cleared out the hinge but it wouldnā€™t move. Ended up persuading it with a snatch strap and 4WD.

Had to unhook the trailer and park it on a hill. Ended up with a good load of dead dry timber Ā½ cord. This stuffā€™s going to the 2024 pile.
1661411789552.png
1661411807141.png
1661411828305.png

Used to do that on the family ranch in Cloverdale, caā€¦miss that place. šŸ˜”
It is one of my favorite chores bombing around mowing the roads. The deer up there just stand there watching me mow. Clearing one of those old roads was no fun with 3 and 4 inch trees on it. My Husqvarna 550XP made life easy.

I prefer 170gr Remington core lokt in my 30-30 creedmore. Put 3 inside a silver dollar at 100 yards provided I do my job. After 3 they start to string up as the barrel heats. Typical lever. Put that bullet where it should go and it takes deer quickly. I prefer to measure my distance shots in feet, not in 100's of yards. Made a bad shot once stretching the effective range of the 30-30. Got the deer eventually but there was a bit of suffering and I felt so bad I bought a 25-06 for longer ranges. Although I busted milk jugs out to 450, I keep shots much closer. Love the 25-06, what a great caliber

I honestly wish there were more hunting opportunities up here.

One deer per year for us and getting a bear permit maybe happens once every 3 years.

Unfortunately our deer hunting is too poor to offer a "trade a hunt" with someone in a different state.
You would love that 7 mm on a Caribou hunt out east . I go every yr late fall after deer season Northern Quebec .

You should try them sometime and see, you may be surprised. They are pretty rugged.

My 300 Win Mag sends the 168 grain bullets about the same velocity you would send a 200 grain bullet, so I don't see why they would not work for you.
Think I will brother , perhaps in 180 gr. Lots of time prior to the small game opener , where I do a lot of last minute bench testing out & hunting camp prior to Moose Season Rifle opener .

I have a Stevens 325 here that I used for years up in northern Mi. Bolt action in .30 .30 which all I ever see is levers. Thing is a tack driver was made from surplus machine gun barrels from the war. It still has a government stamped star on the barrel. I've taken down quite a few deer with it over the years with it. It was given to me by my grandfather and I drilled and tapped it for a side mount scope. I've always used Winchester silver tip and all the deer I ever shot with it dropped right in a pile. Its been a safe queen for a long while now though because I don't get up there during deer season as much since my wife's health. I mainly use a muzzleloader down here in southern Mi I've got a couple with that also.

Congrats on the new acquisition.

I actually run a 462R at work, so I'm familiar with both of them. I did the wrap handle kit on my 400, between that and oiler upgrade, the 462R would've made more financial sense. However I wanted the lightest rear handle saw for climbing that could still run a 25 or 28" bar...so the 400 was the clear winner on that front. In the past, I've run a 362R and really liked that except for the lack of power...the 400 handles like the 362, but almost pulls like the 462.

I like the 400 so much, that climbing is only a small amount of what I do with it. It's also my "small" falling saw...for times I don't need the 500i. I ported it and did some milling to the squish band and base, so it can actually run a 32". That being said, I run the 32" on the 500i usually. On my 462R work saw, I'm running a 28" lightweight.

Ok, so final verdict...depends. If I already have a small limbing saw and want a falling saw, probably the 462. In my case...I already owned a 50cc and then had multiple 70, 76, 90, &122cc saws. The 400 seemed like it kinda plugged the 60cc hole in my line up(weight-wise at least.)
I see am out of date on the Stihl saws. I never heard of a 362 R so looked it up. I see it is a C M at that. What is the "R"

My main saw is the MS362 purchased when they first came out. Many an hour and lots of cords on it. Mostly 20" bar but have run a 28" for felling big trees. Pulls it all right but then cam the MS441 What a difference!!!!

I see am out of date on the Stihl saws. I never heard of a 362 R so looked it up. I see it is a C M at that. What is the "R"

My main saw is the MS362 purchased when they first came out. Many an hour and lots of cords on it. Mostly 20" bar but have run a 28" for felling big trees. Pulls it all right but then cam the MS441 What a difference!!!!
As said above, it's the wrap handle. Except for my top handles, all my saws are wrap models. I like the 400, imagine all the good points of a later 362, but with 441 power.

I have a Stevens 325 here that I used for years up in northern Mi. Bolt action in .30 .30 which all I ever see is levers. Thing is a tack driver was made from surplus machine gun barrels from the war. It still has a government stamped star on the barrel. I've taken down quite a few deer with it over the years with it. It was given to me by my grandfather and I drilled and tapped it for a side mount scope. I've always used Winchester silver tip and all the deer I ever shot with it dropped right in a pile. Its been a safe queen for a long while now though because I don't get up there during deer season as much since my wife's health. I mainly use a muzzleloader down here in southern Mi I've got a couple with that also.
Love Muzzle loader Season in Northern Michigan in December . I have a Thompson Centre fire with a Bushnell Trophy T 3Ɨ9 scope in 50 Caliber currently utilize Hornaday SST polymer tip for one shot kills . Got the smoker full of Caribou jerky (sweet & spicy) Cajun rubbed in Hickory (20 lbs) for my Michigander hunting buddies during our late nite poker & Budweiser Marathons at Deer Camp ! :blob2: P.S. Still have my late Uncle's Stevens 16 Guage Repeater Vince . I was given it on my 16th Birthday when I purchased my 1st Honda CT-90 . Travelled over 10,000 miles on that trail bike with the Steven's in the fork scabbord hunting Quail & Hungarian Partridge & Prarie Chicken. Steven's great Company , Chicopee Falls Massachusetts. Wow memories , forever brother ;)

Back