Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah , not really when you take into account the time & energy FS devoted to his brood . I can understand his frustration & actions ! The mange scenerio alone justified his actions alone !
You've never seen True Grit?? You seem like a John Wayne kinda' man!

They used to make 22 rifles with smooth bore tapered shot shell barrels for those shot. They threw the shot much better than a rifled barrel.

Have not seen one in decades. They used to let us try to break clay pigeons with them up at Boy Scout camp, but that activity has long since disappeared.

They still have regular 22s, but NY now has stupid age restrictions.

Imagine, you are not allowed to learn how to shoot until you are old enough to hunt ... makes no sense to me.
What age are you talking about?

They used to make 22 rifles with smooth bore tapered shot shell barrels for those shot. They threw the shot much better than a rifled barrel.

Have not seen one in decades. They used to let us try to break clay pigeons with them up at Boy Scout camp, but that activity has long since disappeared.

They still have regular 22s, but NY now has stupid age restrictions.

Imagine, you are not allowed to learn how to shoot until you are old enough to hunt ... makes no sense to me.
They started an apprentice stewardship program here were underage teens can hunt when accompanied by a legal hunter . I agree with what your saying Mike , I myself was out hunting squirrels & partridge much younger than the legal age of 15 back in the 60's . However I must admit kids back then were much more responsible in many ways . Some of the new generation self entitled air heads today , would be scary in the bush with a loaded clip or magazine brother. :rare2: No all but perhaps , however enough to wreak havoc none the less !

ah, thats me rootin tootin reins in my mouth 30-30 saddle gun
Model 92 was never chambered in 30-30, it was short pistol cartridges.

Was really just a scaled down Model 86, light weight and handy, and able to shoot the same round as your revolver.

Model 92 was never chambered in 30-30, it was short pistol cartridges.

Was really just a scaled down Model 86, light weight and handy, and able to shoot the same round as your revolver.
Don't recall the movie that well , just that he filled his fists & the lead was flying brother ! 30 cal , 32 , or 38 . 1975 was a few yrs ago lol.

The gun laws in NY change so fast, and are so non sensical, that it is hard to keep track of them.

I believe you can hunt when you are 12 but cannot shoot until you are 12 (not even a high-power air rifle).

I can let someone shoot my handgun if they are 18, 19 or 20, but not if they are 21 unless they have their own piston permit!!!

I am now not allowed to give a grandchild a semi auto 22 rifle unless they are 21 and have a permit (but they can have a pump action shotgun)!

My head hurts!

The gun laws in NY change so fast, and are so non sensical, that it is hard to keep track of them.

I believe you can hunt when you are 12 but cannot shoot until you are 12 (not even a high-power air rifle).

I can let someone shoot my handgun if they are 18, 19 or 20, but not if they are 21 unless they have their own piston permit!!!

I am now not allowed to give a grandchild a semi auto 22 rifle unless they are 21 and have a permit (but they can have a pump action shotgun)!

My head hurts!
You can hunt @ 12 but not shoot ? @ 12 that's counterproductive ! :laughing:

The Model 92 was always "slicker" to lever than a Model 94 (which was the first to chamber the 30-30 smokeless powder round).

Most were made in 44-40, but it was also offered in 38-40 and 32-20. Ironically, despite the anemic cartridges it was chambered in, the action was actually stronger than the Model 94. Being as these were all short pistol cartridges; it held a lot of rounds.

The Model 92 was always "slicker" to lever than a Model 94 (which was the first to chamber the 30-30 smokeless powder round).

Most were made in 44-40, but it was also offered in 38-40 and 32-20. Ironically, despite the anemic cartridges it was chambered in, the action was actually stronger than the Model 94. Being as these were all short pistol cartridges; it held a lot of rounds.
Yeah the 1894 Winchester Saddle gun Carbine was 30-30 rifle cartridge . The lighter Saddle ring Carbine Model 92 & 94 shot the ..38-40 & .44-40 handgun rounds . My Uncle had a Marlin in 32-20 mostly a coyote caliber or deer up close & personal rifle . I think it was his go to Skunk & Porcupine killer !

Was up at the Cabin on Sat + Sun, came home before Monday as heavy rain was predicted for up there, and the roads can become flooded in the mountainous areas.

Got a nice pic of a Sunset for ya, and we did cut some Cherry rounds that need to be split. Always better to let them dry a bit first.

I also dropped a good size Cherry for a next-door neighbor who was lacking a large saw, but no pics.

My ATV is down at the moment, and my SILs also had some issues.

Attachments

• IMG_20220903_193541476.jpg
    IMG_20220903_193541476.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220903_193600153_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220903_193600153_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220904_123829488_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220904_123829488_HDR.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220904_123842516_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220904_123842516_HDR.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 1
My Granddaughter is posing with my target.

No, no, that is not her first shot with a 22, she is not old enough to shoot.

I also pre-fabbed a shooting bench while still home that we assembled when we were up there, and my Daughter set up and installed a remote trail cam that we can retrieve from home ... we are going high tech!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20220904_141036785_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220904_141036785_HDR.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220904_141133820_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220904_141133820_HDR.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 1
30-30? Maybe try 44-40. Double action 45? Maybe a single action Peacemaker?
Did they have a separate release for Canada?
S&W Schofield 1878 & Colt Lightning both offered in Double Action .45. P.S. Colt Special Service .45 Revolver was the Primary Handgun of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police

S&W Schofield 1878 & Colt Lightning both offered in Double Action .45. P.S. Colt Special Service .45 Revolver was the Primary Handgun of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Most aware that double action 45's existed, but Rooster Cogburn certainly wasn't using one!

Back