Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This weeks scrounge. It's hard to get it into perspective, but I don't think my 45" bar will go through the big log 15' up.
A7mCVyM.jpg

7hVnaZY.jpg

CdpOG1M.jpg

YGd3q2e.jpg

Speaking of which, do you know why chicken coops can only have 2 doors?

(If they had 4 doors they would be chicken sedans).

Philbert
Since my cousin has grand kids he calls almost every day with kiddie jokes. Most I read in the "Highlites" magazine when I was a kiddie, they just keep repeating them. I'm going to call him right now and ask him that one?

I bought a couple tickets to the local VFD Gun Bash by my place in WV. I was looking at the prizes which range from a $25,000 side by side to $10,000 in cash to a Stihl 500. Of course a bunch of guns too. I was joking and said with my luck I'd win another chainsaw? Then I thought I saw something about the 500 being a pretty good saw. Would I like it better than my 660? I really like the 660.
I know allot of pros that swear by the 500I and also the newest husky's. I can see their place in the pro world for sure. They will start and run in almost any weather. So when your running a business it makes sense that when they need them they will start. And they usually have a place that services them and have a revolving door of saws going in and out. For me I think where I start to get a little Leary of the newer mtronic and autotune saws is I'm not a pro. I'm a firewood/hobby guy and the problem with that is when those saws go down allot of the time it needs a computer reset or something that it needs to be plugged in to fix. And at least in my area only certain dealers have the software to work on them because its not free to the end user. So that would translate into me having to drive an hour or more to fid a dealer that works on them. The warranty is so short on them I have no idea why the software is not a free download they are not covering it out of warranty anyhow release it free to those out of warranty and put a disclaimer on it that not responsible for damage etc. That's where I'm at anyway a 2 screw carb I'm not dead in the woods. Not that I would be without a backup but it still is a headache.

I know allot of pros that swear by the 500I and also the newest husky's. I can see their place in the pro world for sure. They will start and run in almost any weather. So when your running a business it makes sense that when they need them they will start. And they usually have a place that services them and have a revolving door of saws going in and out. For me I think where I start to get a little Leary of the newer mtronic and autotune saws is I'm not a pro. I'm a firewood/hobby guy and the problem with that is when those saws go down allot of the time it needs a computer reset or something that it needs to be plugged in to fix. And at least in my area only certain dealers have the software to work on them because its not free to the end user. So that would translate into me having to drive an hour or more to fid a dealer that works on them. The warranty is so short on them I have no idea why the software is not a free download they are not covering it out of warranty anyhow release it free to those out of warranty and put a disclaimer on it that not responsible for damage etc. That's where I'm at anyway a 2 screw carb I'm not dead in the woods. Not that I would be without a backup but it still is a headache.
I have about 70 saws and play heck trying to keep 10 running at any given time. I was just wondering if I was going to fall in love with it, if I won it, or take the CASH instead?

I have about 70 saws and play heck trying to keep 10 running at any given time. I was just wondering if I was going to fall in love with it, if I won it, or take the CASH instead?
So I think part of that then is probably to make a phone call to the local Stihl dealer in your area and see if they have the capability to work on the 500I. Allot of times if they don't sell allot of the newer ones or those models the location wont spend the money to send their techs to get the training on them. So I think that would be a huge factor in your being happy with it that you have the help in town to be able to utilize that no fuss aspect of the saw. If they don't service them and the nearest dealer that works on 500I in your area is an hour away I would run with the cash in hand.

Hollywood often plays loose with the facts. Model 92s were used a lot because they were still in production, and the slick action helped to facilitate impressive feats. Chuck Connor's (the Rifleman) loop lever had a bolt that activated the trigger when the action was operated, allowing for really fast shooting w/o pinching your finger! They also looked enough like the guns that were actually available earlier that Hollywood just used them a lot.

They would also remove the fore end wood to impersonate a Henry rifle.

The model 92 would also hold about 12 shots. They are currently made in .357, 44 mag and 45 Colt long. Sometimes, I really wish I had one, but don't really need one.

I modified 2 Ruger magazines today to accommodate the 338-06 round. They were originally designed to work with the 30-06

It was a lot of work, the new round is pinched for the whole distance. (It is a rotary magazine). I'm glad I did not try to go with a 35 Whalen, would have been even more work!

You have to take them apart to do the grinding. After doing the 1st one and getting it to work, I went to do the one that came in the new rifle. Don't you know they changed the whole darn thing! I had to access it from different directions and use different profile heads on the grinder.

Good thing I have a large collection of grinding tools from porting chainsaw cylinders, or I would have never been able to do it.

On the older magazine I tightened the spring an additional turn to lift the heavier bullets. The newer magazine was a very different set up, so I did not fully take it apart as I was not sure how I would get it back together. The new magazine probably works better than the old one as they both came from the factory, but after giving the spring an extra turn the old magazine works better. They changed the location of the pivot point, and how it comes apart. Both of them should work now.

So, I have the new rifle, dies, a loaded box of bullets, 2 modified magazines, the scope and scope mounts, and a sling on order.

Just waiting for the barrel, which unfortunately is likely months away, to complete the project. I'm like a little kid, I hate waiting!

I bought a couple tickets to the local VFD Gun Bash by my place in WV. I was looking at the prizes which range from a $25,000 side by side to $10,000 in cash to a Stihl 500. Of course a bunch of guns too. I was joking and said with my luck I'd win another chainsaw? Then I thought I saw something about the 500 being a pretty good saw. Would I like it better than my 660? I really like the 660.
I've got both the 500 and an 066. If I hadn't machined and ported my 066, I don't think it would stand out much from the 500. I'd argue that a stock 660 has less chain speed than a 500, until it can get into a log large enough for the torque of the 660 to take over. The late 066 like mine, or a 660 do wake up will with some cylinder work...but if I was comparing stock saws, I'd prefer the power characteristics of the 500.

Even with my modded 066, the sizable weight difference has me picking the 500 over the 066 the vast majority of the time. The only time I know pick the 066 is if I want to run a 36" bar to cut a large tree that I don't have to walk too far to get to. The 500 might be a tad slower in a big cut, but, overall, I'm able to work faster with it.

I modified 2 Ruger magazines today to accommodate the 338-06 round. They were originally designed to work with the 30-06

It was a lot of work, the new round is pinched for the whole distance. (It is a rotary magazine). I'm glad I did not try to go with a 35 Whalen, would have been even more work!

You have to take them apart to do the grinding. After doing the 1st one and getting it to work, I went to do the one that came in the new rifle. Don't you know they changed the whole darn thing! I had to access it from different directions and use different profile heads on the grinder.

Good thing I have a large collection of grinding tools from porting chainsaw cylinders, or I would have never been able to do it.

On the older magazine I tightened the spring an additional turn to lift the heavier bullets. The newer magazine was a very different set up, so I did not fully take it apart as I was not sure how I would get it back together. The new magazine probably works better than the old one as they both came from the factory, but after giving the spring an extra turn the old magazine works better. They changed the location of the pivot point, and how it comes apart. Both of them should work now.

So, I have the new rifle, dies, a loaded box of bullets, 2 modified magazines, the scope and scope mounts, and a sling on order.

Just waiting for the barrel, which unfortunately is likely months away, to complete the project. I'm like a little kid, I hate waiting!
That’s awesome. Remind me of which action you’re using for this gun?

I want to have a 338–06. Correction I should say I want a gun chambered in every caliber for both the ‘08 and ‘06 families at some point. Right now I’ve got .243, 7-08, 308, and 338 federal in the 308 family as well as 30-06 and 35 Whelen Ackley Improved in the 06’ family.

Today I ordered five scARy black pew pews with sequential serial numbers. Better stock up while the price is right and the law allows.

Well looks like I'm going to need the help of one of my co workers. Got out my pioneer P41 tonight an was going through it and I have the dreaded cracked intake block. So my idea is I'll take it off and take it into work and we can design it up in cad and output it into an iges file and then send it home with one of the guys that have an advanced 3d printer and get one made up. If it works it should hold up for quite awhile vs an old stock replacement that is bound to crack also.

Steve, I don't think I shared, but I'm going to use a Ruger American Rifle because I like the way they feel, because they really reduce felt recoil, and because I found a brand new one on GunBroker (in 30-06) for only $405! (I was surprised I won the bid!)

I've got a 24" stainless barrel with helical fluting on order from Shaw's. They said about 16 weeks, so I still have about 15 to go. (They had $75 off over Labor Day WE). The matte stainless barrel should look good with a black synthetic stock. It will be a real hunting gun, not a collecible.

This thing came together for me kinda unexpectedly, as I did not think I would find the gun, barrel and dies all available at the same time. Midway had a few sets of the dies, from Lee, in stock! I also managed to acquire both 200 grain and 225 grain bullets. I loaded some 200s first just to make the magazine modifications and for break in and sight in.

I also got lucky and found some CFE 223 powder, and I already had some H-380. The CFE 223 looks to be best with 185 and 200 grain bullets, and the H-380 with the 225s. CFE 223 also works great in my 223 and is supposed to be great in the 308 and 22-250.

The Hodgdon website shows CFE 223 giving the 22-250 about 150 FPS more than any other powder, putting it on par with a 220 Swift! I'm hoping it also works well in my Swift, but they have not published any loads for it. I may "extrapolate"!

There is an Orchard near me that is owned by monks. They hire a guy to come in and cull the deer.
Yeah , as a youngin (8-10) my Grandmother would advise the deer are in the Orchard again ! Off I went with my pellet gun . Later , it got serious & brought .410 guage with rocksalt . Eventually on my 15 th birthday it elevated to 12 ga. with buckshot , it became a annual thing , just part of the job of having a farm . :rare2: Always had Venision hanging in the root cellar after that !

Since my cousin has grand kids he calls almost every day with kiddie jokes. Most I read in the "Highlites" magazine when I was a kiddie, they just keep repeating them. I'm going to call him right now and ask him that one?
For some reason I felt a twinge of tooth and butt hurt when I read your post. :innocent:

Nice gun Steve, what make scope?

Hope it shoots well for you, reloading it will likely save you lots of coin!

I'm using the Barnes tipped (TTSX) bullets in 3 of my guns, they seem to prefer them over the original TSX hollow points. (30-06, 300 Win Mag, 270 Win Short Mag).

I have my 270 Win Short Mag for the long-distance stuff. Not quite as hot as what you have, but close enough!

My 300 Win Mag will shoot just as flat (as my 270 short mag), but the 270 is lighter and has less recoil.
Really been liking the ttsx and the Sierra tipped game king bullets myself. Currently using the ttsx I'm my 458 socom, 338wm. I have a load worked up for my 300wm in ttsx and the tgk. I did buy some honady v-max(factory loads) that I really like in in my .223 wyld. Very effective coyote deterant.
Few places here already have posted . This is my local welding shop View attachment 1015536
That's a place I'd do business with!
With the right to repair lawsuits manufacturers are facing (John deere in particular) it won't be too long before they have to make the program available to the public.
Weather we like it or not, electronics are here to stay. It's the same as when we went to fuel injection in the late 80's. Everyone cussed it out cause it was new techbthat we didn't understand. Then we got obd and a diagnostic tool is readily available.
Now having said that over all auto tune and mtronic are actually very reliable. The only issue (not that a sample size of 1 means anything) I've had was just recently, unfortunately due to the age, (first gen auto tune) and lack of parts availability i would have had to replace the carb and ignition module. The latest generations have all been pretty decent from what I've been seeing.

Yeah , as a youngin (8-10) my Grandmother would advise the deer are in the Orchard again ! Off I went with my pellet gun . Later , it got serious & brought .410 guage with rocksalt . Eventually on my 15 th birthday it elevated to 12 ga. with buckshot , it became a annual thing , just part of the job of having a farm . :rare2: Always had Venision hanging in the root cellar after that !
Sometimes you just have to do that to save the crops

Got the door made and hung on the coop and took a few pictures. The weather looks pretty decent for this afternoon after work, so I'm gonna try and finish up the interior work and get the overhand frames made and hung for the roof. The chickens are still in my basement in the kennel I made for them. It's time for them to get evicted lol.

Attachments

• 20220907_193654.jpg
    20220907_193654.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220907_193648.jpg
    20220907_193648.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Really been liking the ttsx and the Sierra tipped game king bullets myself. Currently using the ttsx I'm my 458 socom, 338wm. I have a load worked up for my 300wm in ttsx and the tgk. I did buy some honady v-max(factory loads) that I really like in in my .223 wyld. Very effective coyote deterant.

That's a place I'd do business with!

With the right to repair lawsuits manufacturers are facing (John deere in particular) it won't be too long before they have to make the program available to the public.
Weather we like it or not, electronics are here to stay. It's the same as when we went to fuel injection in the late 80's. Everyone cussed it out cause it was new techbthat we didn't understand. Then we got obd and a diagnostic tool is readily available.
Now having said that over all auto tune and mtronic are actually very reliable. The only issue (not that a sample size of 1 means anything) I've had was just recently, unfortunately due to the age, (first gen auto tune) and lack of parts availability i would have had to replace the carb and ignition module. The latest generations have all been pretty decent from what I've been seeing.
That's kind of what I figured would happen eventually that it would have to be made available to everyone. I think at the moment more so the problem is that if you have an issue with it for whatever reason it is even if its under warranty if the dealer has not had the training on them they just wont touch it at all even if its a chain brake issue and doesn't require it to even be plugged in at all. And for me I just don't like dealing with that I'm not driving all over the state for that I'm too busy. And like @WoodAbuser said I have tons of saws I can grab right now. When every shop can work on them and warranty repair them then ill probably grab them for like you said reliability.

Nice gun Steve, what make scope?

Hope it shoots well for you, reloading it will likely save you lots of coin!

I'm using the Barnes tipped (TTSX) bullets in 3 of my guns, they seem to prefer them over the original TSX hollow points. (30-06, 300 Win Mag, 270 Win Short Mag).

I have my 270 Win Short Mag for the long-distance stuff. Not quite as hot as what you have, but close enough!

My 300 Win Mag will shoot just as flat (as my 270 short mag), but the 270 is lighter and has less recoil.
Thanks Mike. The scope is a Centra. I’ve never heard of that brand before. But it came from a semi-retired gunsmith and was his personal long range gun.

Back