Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah .050 much too lite .058 perhaps , but .063 with the stock 660 is optimal & with a ported 660 necessary brother ! P.S. I'am running 48 " bar & .404 ripping chain on my ported milling 660 ! :blob2:
Roger that! As I mentioned in my earlier post. Im running.50g for the first time because I couldn't get any light weight bars in .63! Ivey always ran .63 and as soon as I can find more 32" LW bars in .63 I'll be back to running it. .50g is way to light for my application. I swapped out a .50g chain today that is at about 50% cutter life. It was way way too stretched out. It was at about 90% when I threw a new wheel on the hub. My chains aren't pre maturely stretching or parting because of a worn sprocket. They are simply to light of chain fir what Im doing!👎 Bury 32" of bar on a hopped up 90cc in the wood for several hours a day six days a week and a .50g chain is simply going to be over stressed with too much tension! I've been at this game fir a long time. When it comes to this particular problem? I know what's up!😉

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

That forum also sucks now too...

I still like it. I liked it better when there was a p&r section, that kept it out of everywhere else.

Wow! This is the 4th forum I’ve seen you on, are you stalking me? lol. Have you seen my updates on the tractor forum? Getting some work done with the loader.

Politics and religion maybe?
Ok, roger. Thanks for the heads up. Im no politician or a preacher, so those guys over there can have at it amongst them selves! 😂 I can come up with way more interesting things to debate over than Politics or Religion! 👍😉

Im a huge fan of the .308! So much that I have four different rifles chambered in the cartridge! One of them being a Long Range PRC rifle. 👍 Im about to have a fifth rifle in .308 too! 😂
I previously had a Remington 742 ADL . Bushmaster automatic chambered in .308 with a Redfield 3x9 & see under sights . Regret selling it , was a very effective rifle . Pretty well a all around gun if there ever was one ! ;)

Well, not good news, but I guess it was bound to happen sooner of later.

The wife came down with Covid yesterday, and I tested positive this morning.

I don't feel great, but neither of us feel real bad either, so I guess that's good!

Hope it is brief.
Hope you both feel better soon.

Well, not good news, but I guess it was bound to happen sooner of later.

The wife came down with Covid yesterday, and I tested positive this morning.

I don't feel great, but neither of us feel real bad either, so I guess that's good!

Hope it is brief.
Hope you guys feel better real soon Mustang! Sorry to hear about you missing out on hunting with your grand kids. You'll make it next time!👍

Roger that! As I mentioned in my earlier post. Im running.50g for the first time because I couldn't get any light weight bars in .63! Ivey always ran .63 and as soon as I can find more 32" LW bars in .63 I'll be back to running it. .50g is way to light for my application. I swapped out a .50g chain today that is at about 50% cutter life. It was way way too stretched out. It was at about 90% when I threw a new wheel on the hub. My chains aren't pre maturely stretching or parting because of a worn sprocket. They are simply to light of chain fir what Im doing!👎 Bury 32" of bar on a hopped up 90cc in the wood for several hours a day six days a week and a .50g chain is simply going to be over stressed with to much tension! I've been at this game fir a long time. When it comes to this particular problem? I know what's up!😉

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!
My old Pioneers have .404 & .068 guage as does my ms660 milling saw . 20 " , 24" & 48" all square ground full chisel .

Im running.50g for the first time because I couldn't get any light weight bars in .63! . . .50g is way to light for my application. I swapped out a .50g chain today that is at about 50% cutter life. It was way way too stretched out. . . . My chains aren't pre maturely stretching or parting because of a worn sprocket. They are simply to light of chain fir what Im doing!
Which brand of chain, if I may ask?

Thanks

Philbert

Which brand of chain, if I may ask?

Thanks

Philbert
Im running Stihl chain. I've run Oregon quite a bit in the past, but prefer Stihl chain more. IMOP, Stihl grinds easier and the cutters are made with harder steel than Oregon chain. 👍 That's Just my opinion.

Not everyone has a scrounge everyday though newbie or not. The problem with attendance is that with FB and Instagram and the other community's is that the newest generation grew up with those as the form of interaction. I grew up in the 90s born in the 80s so I'm well versed in the forum atmosphere. Heck I've built them I'm quite sure I have an earlier version of Vbulletin somewhere on CD around here. My point is the old timers here are what really keep this going and this thread is never going to survive on scrounge posts alone. I like Phil hes very knowledgeable, more knowledgeable than anyone on here about chains. But all those threads on chain grinding, filing, raker clean up their all dead. Yeah you can find content in those easily but also that is a more technical thread than here. But the conversations on those threads have ended. This thread has became so diverse because getting random firewood comes with so many topics. I like many others I'm sure was always taught to never go in the woods without a gun. Basic 101 because that's where unscrupulous individuals like to hang out. Also deer love the sound of a chainsaw so your going to have hunters like Mike too. That's what keeps this thread going. To keep it on topic here's the wood I'm bringing home from the storm cleanup this weekend.View attachment 1017145
You'll burn your house down:crazy2:.

Yes the Pioneers are the older 1/2 " pitch Carelton chain in .068 guage . The MS660 is running the standard Sten's or Oregon 3/8 " pitch in .068 ripping guage . All quite aggressive chains in the cut .
I can imagine they are aggressive!

The 66 pulls the 1/2" ok without overload? How long is the bar on your mill with the 66 power and .68g set up?

My chains aren't pre maturely stretching or parting because of a worn sprocket. They are simply to light of chain fir what Im doing!👎
Stihl!
Im running Stihl chain. I've run Oregon quite a bit in the past, but prefer Stihl chain more. IMOP, Stihl grinds easier and the cutters are made with harder steel than Oregon chain. 👍 That's Just my opinion.
Knew it :p.
You should try the Oregon EXL and the husky x-cut.

I can imagine they are aggressive!

The 66 pulls the 1/2" ok without overload?
No the ms660 is running the standard 3/8" pitch , its woods ported has lots of torgue . I have an auxiliary oiler of course , it does fine on my white & red oak applications . The chain grind stands up well , I run winter grade Syn. bar oil to ensure sufficient flow .

Latest posts

Back