Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My boss comes to me yesterday "Did you see all the trees we cut?". I was like um , yeah, good job. I nearly spit out my coffee when I rode by and saw all the sloping back cuts. I wanted to get some good pictures but hey, my livelihood is at stake. Lol. Zoom on my phone from 800' will have to do. It's a wonder no one was killed. You can take the farmer off the farm ...
View attachment 1022246View attachment 1022247View attachment 1022248
Where's all the wood.
Sounds like he knows what you're into :).

My boss comes to me yesterday "Did you see all the trees we cut?". I was like um , yeah, good job. I nearly spit out my coffee when I rode by and saw all the sloping back cuts. I wanted to get some good pictures but hey, my livelihood is at stake. Lol. Zoom on my phone from 800' will have to do. It's a wonder no one was killed. You can take the farmer off the farm ...
Looks like my dad's stumps...🤦

For anyone who hasn't stumbled across this bit of knowledge, slower is better drilling stainless.
Same for turning or milling, around half the speed of steel. Also once you get a chip forming don’t stop. Although while drilling this can be dangerous because the chips get long and they don’t break, they will reach out and grab you.

Only tractor supply.
Nothing wrong with TSC. They tend to be smaller and have more dedicated long-term employees then most of the chain stores. ( Yes TSC is a chain store also) We have several variations here and the best was Fleetway which was bought out by Orschlen. They finally closed the store (due to Farm/Fleet which is a huge chain) a few years back and there were employees that had been there 40 plus years. They still operate stores near Farm King stores which is the northern version of Rural King and the old version of Corn King

I bet it's due to " disturbing the delicate micro environment at the soils surface and creating ruts"

Yea, like nature never does that 🙄

Exactly. On both counts. Then they'll put a burn through and kill lots of stuff. Or they won't put a burn through and then a bushfire will kill everything. But at least the precious micro environment at the soil's surface will be ok. :happybanana:

Refer to our policy statement. :nofunny:

Exactly. On both counts. Then they'll put a burn through and kill lots of stuff. Or they won't put a burn through and then a bushfire will kill everything. But at least the precious micro environment at the soil's surface will be ok. :happybanana:

Refer to our policy statement. :nofunny:

The ruts and disturbed soil can actually be good for wildlife.

https://www.nature.com/articles/news050808-14

Nothing wrong with TSC. They tend to be smaller and have more dedicated long-term employees then most of the chain stores. ( Yes TSC is a chain store also) We have several variations here and the best was Fleetway which was bought out by Orschlen. They finally closed the store (due to Farm/Fleet which is a huge chain) a few years back and there were employees that had been there 40 plus years. They still operate stores near Farm King stores which is the northern version of Rural King and the old version of Corn King
Tractor Supply has gone way down hill from what they used to be. I stopped by our local tsc the other week to get some plow Shar bolts (which we've always gotten from tsc) not only dod they not have any, the employees had no idea what i was talking about. Heck even the fastener section is catering to the homeowner that needs a pack of screws to "fix" something. Staff is nice and courteous but knows little about actual farming, implements, animals, working with your hands ect.

Mass is not really farm country so we don't have or need all those stores. We could never keep them busy enough to stay in business. 18 years ago we didn't have a TSC here. I use to head down to CT. To stock up on supplies. My favorite trip down there was on a Goldwing I owned. I came home with the luggage bags full and a tractor seat with arm rests strapped to my rear seat. LOL

The ruts and disturbed soil can actually be good for wildlife.

https://www.nature.com/articles/news050808-14
Reminds me of the time I was small game hunting on snow covered ground that had been selectively logged a few years earlier. I was on a skidder path following fox tracks. The fox had walked on top of the narrow raised ground between ruts. I was amused to see a body print where the fox slipped and fell… One doesn’t think that a fox would have such a mishap… at least up until that point I certainly didn’t!

In the state of Victoria, it is apparently bad for the environment. Or to put it another way, "There's no reason for it, it's just our policy". :rare2:

Never heard of such a thing. You can do it here, but they tell you to fill the ruts back in.

Yeah there all pretty bad but that one is just awful with the two opposing angles.
Same for turning or milling, around half the speed of steel. Also once you get a chip forming don’t stop. Although while drilling this can be dangerous because the chips get long and they don’t break, they will reach out and grab you.
I usually use carbide endmills or indexable carbide inserts. For roughing I usually use around 300 SFM to figure RPM use following formula.
SFM×3.82 ÷ Cutter diameter so if we had a 2" shell mill that would come out to 573 RPM. This is for basic parameters that will cut regardless of what your using. So what changes is when we do finishing if you have Quality inserts like Millstar or Dapra or Dijet like backdraft cutters like a 1" bullnose .0625 .125 or .03125 or a ballnose. I'm running those 3000 RPM plus on Z level toolpaths or 3d finishing even on stainless. For those specialty inserts the books from the manufacturer have allot of good speeds and feeds inside the books. They are designed for mold finishing and work well for getting a good finish. Allot of production shops that have high volume hole drilling in stainless high Rockwell materials like inconel and Hastoloy they get carbide tipped insertable drills with through spindle cooling that they still run high speeds and feeds even in heavy materials.

Not really firewood related, but had the day off, so I did a little bit of bike riding. I found a grove of some big Jeffery pines...we have bigger trees than this down lower in elevation, but these were especially big for high-sierra trees:

v6zA5EQOP4uLhZ-Kh-JPFS73jsSkQdE5iKUXpRFDIwo-1536x2048.jpg

Fall colors are starting to come in on the Aspens:

CenAGl3JaF8F6uO6GdVktDYDoEVPs3cb7FTNM-Zx7aw-2048x1536.jpg

Weird rock formations:
F5wORs-zs0F39UCGn05wnqE189veFpt1M5AZEOWT4Co-2048x1536.jpg

The lake:
hpI4IqmZ333ztPAE8RMqNMlLhdQ5hULxYvmo_FoGBXA-2048x707.jpg

Back