Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20221007_133041.jpg20221007_133300.jpg
Next cutting project...Maple that's been down for years. A friend asked if I wanted to cut it up and take the wood...duh...
The big trunk section alone is probably a cord worth...some 4' diameter. There are other sections that were left that are much larger but mostly rot. :D

First load. This 500i works extremely well with a 28 😁
Cutting 4' diameter with no issues.20221008_162239.jpg20221008_163212.jpgodd shapes so getting nice 16" rounds is a chore...20221008_163228.jpg

Attachments

• 20221011_141506.jpg
    20221011_141506.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Not really firewood related, but had the day off, so I did a little bit of bike riding. I found a grove of some big Jeffery pines...we have bigger trees than this down lower in elevation, but these were especially big for high-sierra trees:

v6zA5EQOP4uLhZ-Kh-JPFS73jsSkQdE5iKUXpRFDIwo-1536x2048.jpg

Fall colors are starting to come in on the Aspens:

CenAGl3JaF8F6uO6GdVktDYDoEVPs3cb7FTNM-Zx7aw-2048x1536.jpg

Weird rock formations:
F5wORs-zs0F39UCGn05wnqE189veFpt1M5AZEOWT4Co-2048x1536.jpg

The lake:
hpI4IqmZ333ztPAE8RMqNMlLhdQ5hULxYvmo_FoGBXA-2048x707.jpg
Nice bike , I do a lot of MTB great exercise

Nice bike , I do a lot of MTB great exercise
Thanks. I live in a pretty good place for mtb'ing. Tahoe is about an hour's drive from me with unlimited riding, but the pics above are some the local trails for me. We've got some good single track locally, it's not nearly as ridden as the Tahoe stuff...you also have to search for some of it or know where it's at...not all of it is on a trail map.

Thanks. I live in a pretty good place for mtb'ing. Tahoe is about an hour's drive from me with unlimited riding, but the pics above are some the local trails for me. We've got some good single track locally, it's not nearly as ridden as the Tahoe stuff...you also have to search for some of it or know where it's at...not all of it is on a trail map.
MTB Moab a couple of years ago , that was a bucket list place . Hears my current ride

Attachments

• 9B3844DA-B481-46BB-9207-459412FDB8AD.jpeg
    9B3844DA-B481-46BB-9207-459412FDB8AD.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
MTB Moab a couple of years ago , that was a bucket list place . Hears my current ride
Nice, a couple of my friends race Santa Cruz on the Ca enduro circuit for a chain of bike shops here...good bikes. I'm not fast enough to race enduro, or at least get sponsored like them lol. I did race xc for a few years, I'm looking to get back into it, as I'm feeling a bit on the fluffy side lately.

I agree with Moab being a bucket list. I didn't do it on the mtb, but spent a week there with my dirt bike and 4 other friends. That was probably the funnest week of my life. The final day a couple of us broke off to ride 5 Miles of Hell...it's not really an ideal mtb trail, but there is an unofficial online competition to see how fast you can ride it on a moto.

Hi guys. Picked up this sporterized Nagant today for 200 clams. We had a bunch of ammo for this caliber laying around so the gun will literally pay for itself as we use it. Boy, I can remember back in the day when these guns were listed for $69 new in box

View attachment 1022561
I think I paid $89 for my m44 Mosin from Big 5.

Hi guys. Picked up this sporterized Nagant today for 200 clams. We had a bunch of ammo for this caliber laying around so the gun will literally pay for itself as we use it. Boy, I can remember back in the day when these guns were listed for $69 new in box

View attachment 1022561
I paid 59 on sale at Dunhams here came with strap bayonet and oil cans cleaning kit. I cant believe what they became. Around that time I seen a buyback program in New York tables littered with Nagants they were giving 800 dollars per gun...:laughing:....and pictures of these politicians standing around giving the thumbs up.... hope they enjoyed paying for these people brand new deer rifle for that season :drinkingcoffee:

I paid 59 on sale at Dunhams here came with strap bayonet and oil cans cleaning kit. I cant believe what they became. Around that time I seen a buyback program in New York tables littered with Nagants they were giving 800 dollars per gun...:laughing:....and pictures of these politicians standing around giving the thumbs up.... hope they enjoyed paying for these people brand new deer rifle for that season :drinkingcoffee:
That's awesome.
I liked the buybacks where the guys were
3-d printing receivers and bringing them in, they finally stopped them :laughing: .

Gonna be cutting some of the Bradford Pear into firewood today:chainsaw:.

That's awesome.
I liked the buybacks where the guys were
3-d printing receivers and bringing them in, they finally stopped them :laughing: .

Gonna be cutting some of the Bradford Pear into firewood today:chainsaw:.
That's awesome. I'm going to have to get the splitter back out today and work on the rest of the pine today once it warms up. I have a fire going right now to get the chill out of the house it was below 30 here last night looks like were going to be getting cold pretty quick here. Hope the pear tree goes well.

My new wood scrounging rig coming in a couple weeks can’t wait !! L2501 HST with LA526 loader new for 2022 , log haul hitch , and a grapple with third function on the way . View attachment 1022586
Very nice, you're gonna like that, they are a game changer for sure.
You think you'll get a skidding winch for it.

Very nice, you're gonna like that, they are a game changer for sure.
You think you'll get a skidding winch for it.
Perhaps Brett , I have some projects on the homestead, and a 600 ft gravel driveway needs some work , and I buy log truck loads of firewood so the grapple with be a blessing for sure wanted to go bigger Hp but didn’t what to deal with the emissions crap and 25 hp doesn’t require it so I’m happy with that .

Perhaps Brett , I have some projects on the homestead, and a 600 ft gravel driveway needs some work , and I buy log truck loads of firewood so the grapple with be a blessing for sure wanted to go bigger Hp but didn’t what to deal with the emissions crap and 25 hp doesn’t require it so I’m happy with that .
If the main thing you're doing is firewood and the drive, I doubt the power will be an issue. A nice box blade goes a long way for driveways, or a power rake :p.

If the main thing you're doing is firewood and the drive, I doubt the power will be an issue. A nice box blade goes a long way for driveways, or a power rake :p.
Yup , a box blade is on my radar for sure , that can wait till next spring, winter ❄️ will be here before ya know it , have a great weekend my friend.

That’s awesome

Back