Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 30 Russian is a real nice round for a rimmed cartridge. Both it and the 30-40 Krag were very popular in the late 1800s / early 1900s.

The 30 Russian bested the 30-40, and is right in there with the 30-06 in power.

I believe those were the two most popular chamberings in the Model 95 Winchester, as Russia used that rifle as a military rifle. Although the US military did not adopt the lever action Model 95 (because operating the lever interfered with shooting in the prone position), it was used by many of TR's Rough Riders and numerous Texas Rangers.

I shouldn't be saying this, but it's the same engine as the next hp level tractor. Seen lots of guys turn them up, and a few turbo them as well. That aside my old man has a L245DT and that measly 25hp has always worked just fine for us. Loader work isn't really hp intensive, either is grading the drive really. Pto power is another thing, my B series has 22hp and I frequently take it over to his place to brush mow the field. (Stupid L series of his doesn't have a live pto.) Won't lie, think they both could use a few more hp for the brush hog. Good tractors, they just work and work good.
Why shouldn't you say it, pretty sure most here are all about that sort of learning :reading:.
No PTO, my L3800 has a PTO.
The place I find I'd want more power is roto-tilling.
B and C oil is so cheap at farm stores. I thought about running used in a complete POS Poulan but even then I decided against it. It's not even the mess it's going to burn your bar and not take care of your sprocket correctly because the viscosity and the tackiness is not there.
Where do you get it "cheap", I haven't seen it for 5.99 in a while now.
Here's at our local TSC :dizzy:. Glad I bought a bunch when it was "cheaper" ;).
Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 12.34.42 PM.png

This is what I plan on buying the next time, as you can see to the right in the picture, it's 22 miles away. I need to go within a couple miles of the store tomorrow or later today, maybe I'll snag a case or two since it's much closer to cheap :).

Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 12.37.17 PM.png
So I decided to look at their site to make sure it was in stock... bottom right corner.
Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 12.44.02 PM.png

The good thing is this bar and chain oil is in stock :nofunny:. It's a 2 gallon container, but it would be $1.50 more a gallon.

Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 12.44.51 PM.png

Why shouldn't you say it, pretty sure most here are all about that sort of learning :reading:.

Here's at our local TSC :dizzy:. Glad I bought a bunch when it was "cheaper" ;).
View attachment 1022830

This is what I plan on buying the next time, as you can see to the right in the picture, it's 22 miles away. I need to go within a couple miles of the store tomorrow or later today, maybe I'll snag a case or two since it's much closer to cheap :).

View attachment 1022831
So I decided to look at their site to make sure it was in stock... bottom right corner.
View attachment 1022833

The good thing is this bar and chain oil is in stock :nofunny:. It's a 2 gallon container, but it would be $1.50 more a gallon.

View attachment 1022834
Check rural king if you get close to one Brett. Cam2 at ours was $6.99.

View attachment 1022830

View attachment 1022831
View attachment 1022833

View attachment 1022834

I was buying the County Line stuff from Tractor supply. The last gallon I bought was really thin, it was more the consistency of motor oil than bar oil. It could've been a fluke, but it wasn't advertised as some special cold weather blend or anything...I bought a case of the Kinetix from my local dealer and I'm finally running low on that, I might try the Tractor supply stuff again as long as it's signifigantly cheaper than Stihl/Husky/Kinetix.

I actually liked the kinetix a lot, other than my Stihls were more prone to leaking oil than before. It seemed to oil the longer bars pretty well.

View attachment 1022830

View attachment 1022831
View attachment 1022833

View attachment 1022834
I got mag 1 at family farm and home for 6.99 on sale awhile back. 10.99 everyday not great but better than buying a new oiler and bar and chain combo.Screenshot_20221009-183849_Chrome.jpg

Thanks. I live in a pretty good place for mtb'ing. Tahoe is about an hour's drive from me with unlimited riding, but the pics above are some the local trails for me. We've got some good single track locally, it's not nearly as ridden as the Tahoe stuff...you also have to search for some of it or know where it's at...not all of it is on a trail map.
On my recent bicycle trip I met a woman from Lake Tahoe who was also doing a bicycle trip. She is a retired educator who has been a serious cyclist for decades. We rode together from Buffalo, NY to Erie, PA where she dropped down to Pittsburgh while I continued on to Cleveland. We talked about our bicycle travel experiences while riding and over meals. In short, she has bicycle toured extensively in the U.S. and Canada along with extensive mountain/gravel bike riding in the Lake Tahoe area. She's also traveled in Russia, China and Africa... She surprised me when she started speaking Russian to the woman who owned the restaurant where we ate one evening. She also surprised the woman! She spoke in glowing terms about cycling in the Lake Tahoe area... enough so that I've got it on my list of possible locations for my next bicycle travel adventure. Still kicking around what I want out of my next expedition... ;)

Almost forgot to mention that a couple weeks after she got home from her 7 week tour she took off for Moab!

AV Gas! 👍 Just go to your nearest municipal airport and ask where you can buy some. They will probably sell you some right there, or point you in the right direction on were to find it. Aviation Fuel is 100 octane and ethanol free. High Octane gas is much better for your saw than regular pump gas. There is no power gain from it, contrary to what most people think. The biggest advantage is that high octane gas burns slower because of a lower combustion rate than pump gas. Therefore your engine runs cooler. You won't notice the temp difference your self, but your piston and cylinder will. Also, av gas is very very stable and has a long shelf life! I've run it in my saws for a long time and I run them hard at 50:1. Believe me. There is a difference. The only con to running av gas is it is a bit pricier than pump gas. I want to say around $7.00-$8.00 a gallon. Hope this info helps.
I believe the hi-test is alcohol free. I'll look into that. I have an airport 7 miles from me.

View attachment 1022830

View attachment 1022831
View attachment 1022833

View attachment 1022834
Over on orange tractor talk there's a thread or two dedicated to the L2501 and bumping them up to 30 something hp, however it 100% voids the warranty and puts you in violation of the epa regulations. It dies seem like quite a few guys end up turning them up though. I have a little turbo off a 1L Isuzu sitting down under my work bench I'd like to get hooked up to my B series 1005 engine. Would love to take that 20hp and get 30 out of it, could probably brush hog in high range then.

On the bar oil subject, early this year farm and fleet had a sale on that mystic bar oil, over $100.00 got free shipping. As I was down to 3 gallons of the pro line bar oil I normally got, I bought enough from farm and fleet to get the free shipping. Didn't do a terrible amount of cutting this year, but I'm down to 10 gallons and was thinking about getting more before another big price hike. Last i looked they didn't have the free shipping deal anymore.

I'm fixing/rebuilding an old log splitter that I got from my old man.

The good:
  • 14hp Kohler w/e-start that ran when parked.
  • The old man rebuilt the ram before he lost interest in the rest of the project.
  • The I-beam he put on there is beefy AF.
  • New pump and valve.
The bad:
  • Carb is now frozen.
  • No fuel tank.
  • The axle was majorly bent and the tires/tubes were shot.
  • The motor is loosely sitting in the carriage. It had rubber motor mounts and they ripped apart, which destroyed the coupling for the motor and the pump.
The plan...I already cannibalized a Harbor Freight trailer for the axle. It was a little on the light duty side, being made of channel and the mounts for the splitter were inboard of where the axle is designed to be hung from. I had some 3/16" sheet that I cut out with the plasma to box the axle in.

I got the axle mounted up, this is only a log splitter...I'm not building a rock crawler or anything lol. I'll address the motor mounts next. I don't think this needs rubber mounted motor mounts. I'll probably just run some angle for the motor to bolt to. I'll also try to get a coupling for the pump that just bolts the pump to the motor. Otherwise, I gotta make sure that the 2 are perfectly inline.

As I got it:
20221009_135107.jpg

1st step done:
20221009_165912.jpg

Latest posts

Back