Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is that 361 running???

I actually just got back in the house from fine tuning that girl. She has a throaty roar for sure! I got her into some tough old blackjack oak and she gave me a nice smooth cut and threw chips 6' behind me! I didn't even have the dog set, and she cruised right through that log (~15" diameter). I felt like a winner Fo Sho! I came in the house all excited and told Mrs. Weld all about it. She looked at me and said, "That is great dear, could you take out the trash". She don't get it......

I tune by ear (because I cannot afford a good tac) and I always know I have one in tune if I can play the chainsaw solo in "The Lumberjack" (Jackyl) :chainsaw: :rock2:

1b851dd4cbd5c0e6936655bfdff0f59e.jpg

edc5305e8cf9b7c282a5ca8621110c8b.jpg

I got all done unloading and forget to take a picture. So please use your imagination and picture the 16ft trailer and 8ft bed full of elm.

Final load from my Craigslist find. I think I have pulled out 6 or 7 trailer loads and 2 or 3 truck loads.

Also finally got my rails/headache rack/toolbox installed.

5c031bf874376d1afd442f815d40ede4.jpg

This is one of the things I find most interesting about AS is being able to see how things are done in different parts of the world.
That pile of split Red Gum looks almost like blocks. Are you burning it in a fireplace or woodstove?

JB Weld
I ripped the red gum in to blocks with the 661 and a 660 as the wood is very heavy and it was to make the job easy as I had to ring it up into rings then it to at least thirds each ring then into blocks then I had to load onto trailer then unload at my yard then will have to load each block onto splitter then the conveyor belt will load onto trailer then stack away for next winter so thought if I make the blocks small and light I won't have to bust my as$ to much threw the whole process
I actually was splitting a fair amount with just a axe most of it was very straight grain and was real easy to split by hand

This is one of the things I find most interesting about AS is being able to see how things are done in different parts of the world.
That pile of split Red Gum looks almost like blocks. Are you burning it in a fireplace or woodstove?

JB Weld all of that red gum will be burnt in a fire place for home heating

Went and split up some of the spruce that I had cut at my friends place this winter , all blocked up for me by his son :)
I've had this hydro for several years now , it was mostly a project when I got it , figured it was time to use it LOL

XBjNIVP13_qf9aacGtCa5No-A4wesGi3TwsLtJUsOhk=w815-h611-no

Had a few big rounds to deal with LOL

_JrmvWT-vRuJ7aymb2THQFUxngkqRqWlBFxDcS1GQgo=w815-h611-no

0JLw4s0PWLDJmlzPqQc1-qoPLwWWKSTQ3ZpguUHf79E=w815-h611-no

Some of that spruce sure put up a struggle but I won ;)

w8P78T5uxvDiovxV-6EhTyvb1H3CpGHXrjeDMtM5F8s=w815-h611-no

I've got a few minor mods to do to the splitter yet but I'm happy with the results .
Scrounge on gentleman !!

I wish I took pictures of the work I did today but I didn't unfortunately. I went and cut trees for a coworker today. This was the first time in probably 10 years that I've ran a saw for money. I cut down 10 beech nut trees that ranged from 30-36". It's been a long time since I've cut trees that large and it was a lot of fun. It was cool and had on/off light rain so I left the camera phone in the car. The largest tree I cut was about 17-18" from the center out to the edge and had 10 growth rings per inch. Yep, it was at least 170 years old!

I wish I took pictures of the work I did today but I didn't unfortunately. I went and cut trees for a coworker today. This was the first time in probably 10 years that I've ran a saw for money. I cut down 10 beech nut trees that ranged from 30-36". It's been a long time since I've cut trees that large and it was a lot of fun. It was cool and had on/off light rain so I left the camera phone in the car. The largest tree I cut was about 17-18" from the center out to the edge and had 10 growth rings per inch. Yep, it was at least 170 years old!
Cool!

I've cut down some blowdown cedar that was in the 140 year range and the tree was only 12" diameter. Could barely discern the rings.

Holy Wow!!! So I have to work in Tennessee all week this week. On my way, along highways I-57 and I-24, I'll swear and you all can say I'm fibbing, but I swear I saw at least 100 cord of wood laying beside the road. Holy chuck nuggets! It would be a scroungers dream through there. All small stuff too.....one splitters at the max. Most, just buck and chuck. If a fella had an open top trailer and a semi, he could cut two seasons of wood easily in a weekend or two. Shame it was four hours into a seven hour trip. So much wood, Shame to see it just sit.

Finally had some free time to pick up more firewood from my scrounge spot. I was planning on hauling at least 5 van loads of firewood but the heat kicked my butt after just one trip. We've been having mid-summer type heat here. I've finally decided to stop messing with the Fiskars and just noodled all the bigger pieces into manageable sized chunks. Just takes way too long having to smack rounds multiple times before loading it onto my wheelbarrow and hauling it out of the woods.

A question for all you heavily wooded area scroungers, especially my fellow east coast dudes. The tick population seems to be especially large and ravenous already. Have you all found this to be the same as well? Also, just from walking about hundred feet into the woods I found approximately 10 ticks crawling on me. Three were able to attach themselves (one on my arm, two on my torso). Luckily my body immediately starts to itch as soon as they bite. Are ticks really drawn to you guys or am I somehow more enticing to these little bastards? Do they latch on as quick as they bore into me? I'm curious because I've never had these issues with ticks before even after land navigation training in PA/MD/SC, extended military field training in heavily wooded areas, etc.

Permethrin spray for your clothing. Also make it difficult for them to get under your clothing ie tuck pants into your boots or rubber band them.

I rarely have a tick make it past my knees when crawling up me. Once I feel something messing with my leg hair I know that I've got a tick and pluck it off.

Ordered some permethrin spray. I tuck my pants into my boots as well but left my shirt untucked. I would probably feel them crawling up as well but not when I'm moving around to cut, load, etc. Have you heard about the company in NC that will treat your clothes with Permethrin? Their fees are reasonable and the treatment is supposed to last as long as the Permethrin clothing you can buy.

I have never had a tic problem honsetly. They might be getting on my cloths but I have never found them on my skin and I do not tuck my pant legs into my boots, only my shirt and I never wear shorts unless Im in my lawn. I have permethrin but have not used it (yet) on my work cloths. I think you will discover the direction on your permethrin will tell you that it will still be effective after a few washings. Since you bought some I would hold off on sending your cloths away for treatment.

I have never had a tic problem honsetly. They might be getting on my cloths but I have never found them on my skin and I do not tuck my pant legs into my boots, only my shirt and I never wear shorts unless Im in my lawn. I have permethrin but have not used it (yet) on my work cloths. I think you will discover the direction on your permethrin will tell you that it will still be effective after a few washings. Since you bought some I would hold off on sending your cloths away for treatment.

You're a lucky man. I believe most of the spray Permethrin products last up to 6 washings. The factory treated applications lasts up to 70.

Latest posts

Back