Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reid, you must be in a high tick area, and they must also just like you.

You can go on a hike with two dogs, and one will have more ticks on it than the other every time. Fortunately, a lot of the ticks on the dogs this year have been dog ticks, not so dangerous.

I think they are also attracted to white and light colors. White dogs seem to get infested with them.

The small deer ticks are very difficult to feel on you, and they are the dangerous ones. I've gone home, thoroughly showered, and still discovered one on me the next morning, a very unpleasant experience.

You may want to put your pants outside your boot and either tie it or rubber band it to reduce their access.

There are a lot of them out here this year, but it has been that way here for several years.

IMG_20150531_131144_835_zpsidxtocry.jpg

I need to start stacking like dancan.

Dancan:
One of the first mods to your hydo is mount a table to one side at least to catch the split that would normaly fall on to the ground. Two fold, one to keep from having to pick it up again and second to prevent it from barking your shins. those sharp edges can remove a lot of skin, don't ask how I know.
Your pile of splits look like mine, fuzz sticks and uglies, that pine refuses to split clean, blasted knots, but it burns great.
I'm working on six pine logs, all over 28"x 12'. I have to noodle every piece to get it into the trailer, lotsa wood there.
Today is a rest day, cold, wet and rain, gonna fire up the furnace to dry the house.
I was using the 455 Rancher to buck and noodle, just too much work. gonna drag out the Dolly 7900 and get some real work done. I got it, might as well use it.
I spun up some new loops of chain, gota love that 72 LGX, sure makes the chips fly. Stihl is great chain but a little rich for me, I'll stick with Carlton and Oregon.

You can go on a hike with two dogs, and one will have more ticks on it than the other every time. Fortunately, a lot of the ticks on the dogs this year have been dog ticks, not so dangerous.

I think they are also attracted to white and light colors. White dogs seem to get infested with them.

The small deer ticks are very difficult to feel on you, and they are the dangerous ones. I've gone home, thoroughly showered, and still discovered one on me the next morning, a very unpleasant experience.

You may want to put your pants outside your boot and either tie it or rubber band it to reduce their access.

There are a lot of them out here this year, but it has been that way here for several years.

I was going to mention they are attracted to light colors but wasnt sure that was fact or not. I mostly wear black or brown jeans, IDK if that helps much... GL Ambull

My doctor mentioned the eastern shore is a hotbed area for ticks because of all the deer. Just moved here a year ago and agree with him already.

I'm only wearing white/light colors from now on fully treated with Permethrin. They may be drawn to the light colors but at least I'll be able to see those suckers and they should die from the treatment.

From the RI tick website I believe all the ticks were Lone Star ticks. They're known as aggressive human biters so it seems to fit what I encountered and several of the larger buggers were definitely adult females.

I find myself wearing compression under armour heat gear when I am out in the woods. The compression makes it much harder for the ticks to get to bare skin. I have only picked one up this spring and he was easy enough to smash.

They may be annoying, but Lone Star ticks do not transmit Lyme, you are lucky.

That's true. They do carry some pretty nasty diseases though. I actually saw the ticks standing on blades of grass waiting for me to walk by. That will be a perfect place to test the effectiveness of Permethrin treated clothes. I'm also really curious as to why ixodes scapularis is the only species of ticks that are vectors of Lyme disease. I feel a tick research obsession coming.

Looks like I might of picked up another side job falling more trees. My coworker that I cut for yesterday said his friend has 100-150 trees he wants cut for logs and hes about 15 or so minutes away. I might even get some firewood on top of cash. :dancing:

Seems as though Heaven's gates has opened up for you since becoming a mod.

IMG_20150531_131144_835_zpsidxtocry.jpg

I need to start stacking like dancan.

I like the bedliner but man you'd better join the marines to get some better stacking skills LOL
Wudpirate , I can't put the self till I figure how I was gonna setup the conveyor ,,,, yup I got a small one , I've got more stuff yet but I'm waiting for young Ambull to catch up LOL
Hey Reid !!
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/440-lb-capacity-log-cart/A-p8469363e
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/junior-log-arch/A-p8531972e

Look for something like these to move the bigguns .

A buddy of mine gave me his late FIL chainsaw. It is a 60cc Timber Bear, and it is so ugly it is beautiful! I mean how cool a name is that!

You need some wood cut you say? Just a minute....let me go get.......the Timber Bear.
thumbsup.gif

I mean, let me put on my back brace, and get out....The Timber Bear. This thing weighs like 22 pounds!

This old girl had not run in 3 years. I drained the old fuel, filled it with fresh mix, and she started on the 5th pull! After she warmed up, I fine tuned the carb and man does she ever ROAR! She has the original bar and all the original decals.

It is just a cool old saw that has a long life ahead of her.
I bet it brings back some memories for some of you guys!

Attachments

• 20150601_210803.jpg
    20150601_210803.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 20150601_210859.jpg
    20150601_210859.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 20150601_210726.jpg
    20150601_210726.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 56
I like the bedliner but man you'd better join the marines to get some better stacking skills LOL
Wudpirate , I can't put the self till I figure how I was gonna setup the conveyor ,,,, yup I got a small one , I've got more stuff yet but I'm waiting for young Ambull to catch up LOL
Hey Reid !!
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/440-lb-capacity-log-cart/A-p8469363e
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/junior-log-arch/A-p8531972e

Look for something like these to move the bigguns .

Marines taught me a few things but stacking wasn't one of them lol. Every time I head out to my scrounge site I plan on stacking the van to the brim just like Dan. Then I get there, pile the wood in, and the van starts to do an ass to grass squat. That's when I chicken out and baby it.

Those look good but not sure how the wheels will do in the woods. I was thinking about a Gorilla cart but they may be a bit tough to maneuver as well. May just stick with my wheel barrow.

Back