Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always tell the guys to watch their back trail when we go out moving deer. We've gotten more than one that tried to sneak around us from behind.
I’ve mentioned the guy that used to shoot boxes of ammo every day… Ironically his brother was a very, very good hunter. This brother always said that he would go out a few minutes after the whole crowd left camp and shoot deer that showed up behind the crowd to watch them lol.

This fellow reportedly shot the biggest deer that’s ever been taken out of that area. The deer has obviously grown in memory/legend over the last 60 years since it was taken but from what I hear it was a dandy. The guy’s ex-wife threw away the photos after they got divorced lol

Single wall pipe or a probed double wall? My double wall reads 2-300 with an ir thermo most of the time.
Single wall black pipe . At times it will get up to and over 400 . Stove is really crancking usually that’s on high just before I shut it down

Picked the natural lean direction to drop this very dead ash. My wife had a light rope on my waist but no dead limbs over head.
Was expecting a hollow core and wasn't disappointed when I made the notch.
Plunged and went out the back but left a bit too much hinge on the far side. Had to go back in, thin it a bit from that side, where I prefered NOT to be. Got out of there when it started to move, and it took about a minute to go over. Looks like it pulled the core up as it tipped, that helped it go nice n slow. The stump split down a bit, but no cracks went up the trunk. A couple more feet up the trunk it was solid all the way through.
Prolly a good cord n a half of firewood.
044 with a 28" bar, a bit short of all the way through the trunk.
KIMG2694.JPGKIMG2695.JPGKIMG2696.JPG
KIMG0754.JPG
Tree's way at the back of our hilly pasture, not taking anything back there to haul wood out 'til the ground's frozen solid.

I hunted locally tonight and saw the big guy I missed with the crossbow again! Had the shotgun this time, but he was in a direction I can not shoot, and I could not call him in, and he slowly drifted off in the other direction!

Glad I saw him, it was still daylight, and I had the binoculars on him ... he is a real nice buck, but not mine yet!

Frustrated (but exited) Mike!

Your right. Here as long as combustibles are 36 inch’s away black pipe is acceptable
Here it's also reminded a moble home(single or double wide). Iirc security sells a pipe that is double walled and has slots at the top and bottom to allow the heat to come out from between them.

Since this is the scrounge thread, today I found a chunk of what looks like chimney liner on the side of the rd. I stopped and tossed it in the back of the van, but didn't look at it too close. It appears to be 6", and it had a strong smell to it, not sure what type of oil or coating is on it. It had been run over, but it looked as though there was at least a 6-8' chunk of it that wasn't damaged, I'll check it out later.

I hunted locally tonight and saw the big guy I missed with the crossbow again! Had the shotgun this time, but he was in a direction I can not shoot, and I could not call him in, and he slowly drifted off in the other direction!

Glad I saw him, it was still daylight, and I had the binoculars on him ... he is a real nice buck, but not mine yet!

Hope you can get it Mike.
Been many yrs since I shot one at all, been many more since I had a chance at a trophy. I thought I was going to get out this yr, but it's a good thing I didn't buy a license, because im way to busy.

I got a little side job done this afternoon, 3 okay sized pines. The smallest was 28" on the stump, the largest was probably 32"ish+. The large one had a head lean and I was half expecting to hang it up...but I was able to pour the coals to it in the back cut w/the 566i and got it down to a thin hinge before it fully committed to the lay. The thin hinge was useful to quickly build enough velocity to not get limb locked.

The one furthest to the right was really easy, a little bit of pounding, but easy peasy.

The one furthest to the left had a really healthy back lean. I shot a line up into it with my big shot and we were able to pull it over.

This was the first real "test" of the 566i hybrid, other than screwing around in the wood lot. I'm really impressed with the results. I was only running a 28" in pine, but this thing screams in the cut...no reason it won't do the same with a 32" or even a 36".
IMG_20221122_164548796.jpg

Time put in, is time worth reward! Got my fingers crossed for you bud! 🤞

I got a little side job done this afternoon, 3 okay sized pines. The smallest was 28" on the stump, the largest was probably 32"ish+. The large one had a head lean and I was half expecting to hang it up...but I was able to pour the coals to it in the back cut w/the 566i and got it down to a thin hinge before it fully committed to the lay. The thin hinge was useful to quickly build enough velocity to not get limb locked.

The one furthest to the right was really easy, a little bit of pounding, but easy peasy.

The one furthest to the left had a really healthy back lean. I shot a line up into it with my big shot and we were able to pull it over.

This was the first real "test" of the 566i hybrid, other than screwing around in the wood lot. I'm really impressed with the results. I was only running a 28" in pine, but this thing screams in the cut...no reason it won't do the same with a 32" or even a 36".
View attachment 1034257
Nice! Work! Nice work indeed!

This is what yeilded of that yearling heffer not counting the bucket of soup bones and stainless bowl of shank meat for canning. Im thinking about 60%/65% yield. Not bad considering she was a yearling and all the cuts are boneless. With the exception of the ribbs. Plus it is a Scottish Highlander. Witch is a smaller breed of beef cattle. When compared to the different commercially raised beef cattle breed's 👍IMG_20221122_145519459.jpg
IMG_20221122_153116142.jpg

Back