Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Upgrading the baby... 12" 3/8 LP 6T was almost unusable in green eucalyptus (chattering in most cuts). Upgrade is 10" 1/4 8T. Somehow I ended up with safety chain. I must have had too many windows open and added the wrong chain into my cart :dumb2:
View attachment 1034291
Dose it come with batteries? 🤣🤣🤣 😉

I'm just taking the piss out of ya a bit bud. 👍

Dose it come with batteries? 🤣🤣🤣 😉
You can't see it in the photo but behind that orange plastic cover is the bubble fluid reservoir. I don't want to turn this into another bubble fluid thread so I won't mention the brand and mix rate I use, but it outputs at least as much as this lawn mower when I put it against a branch

81Yq7INVtFL._SL1500_.jpg

Upgrading the baby... 12" 3/8 LP 6T was almost unusable in green eucalyptus (chattering in most cuts). Upgrade is 10" 1/4 8T. Somehow I ended up with safety chain. I must have had too many windows open and added the wrong chain into my cart :dumb2:
View attachment 1034291
Muffler mod that thing, the 2511s respond really well to a more open deflector and gutting/or drilling holes through the inner doohickey thing in the muffler.

W
Coming from you, I take that as a meaningful compliment.:bowdown:

I had an audience too, so the pressure was on. The house was just to the right, off screen.
Well I appreciate that.

Yeah, I really don't like felling around houses with people watching, but thats how it aIl ways seems to go. Even when I tell them to watch from a safe distance if they are going to watch.

I mean this guy shows up with these big a** saws wareing suspenders carrying an axe and has wedges in his back pockets and they think. "Wow! This guy must really know what hes doing". They don't realize that no matter how easy the cutter sees it and how it couldn't be any more of a prefect senerio . That anything can happen. Then if something does go wrong? The customer puts the word out that your a no good son of a gun, and gives you a bad rap! I haven't had any residential mishaps yet. Knock on wood! I'm hoping to keep it that way. ☝️However, s**t dose happen! In my humble opinion, nothing is guaranteed when felling trees!

I got a little side job done this afternoon, 3 okay sized pines. The smallest was 28" on the stump, the largest was probably 32"ish+. The large one had a head lean and I was half expecting to hang it up...but I was able to pour the coals to it in the back cut w/the 566i and got it down to a thin hinge before it fully committed to the lay. The thin hinge was useful to quickly build enough velocity to not get limb locked.

The one furthest to the right was really easy, a little bit of pounding, but easy peasy.

The one furthest to the left had a really healthy back lean. I shot a line up into it with my big shot and we were able to pull it over.

This was the first real "test" of the 566i hybrid, other than screwing around in the wood lot. I'm really impressed with the results. I was only running a 28" in pine, but this thing screams in the cut...no reason it won't do the same with a 32" or even a 36".
View attachment 1034257
Nice hinges, thats the way to do it!

W
Well I appreciate that.

Yeah, I really don't like felling around houses with people watching, but thats how it aIl ways seems to go. Even when I tell them to watch from a safe distance if they are going to watch.

I mean this guy shows up with these big a** saws wareing suspenders carrying an axe and has wedges in his back pockets and they think. "Wow! This guy must really know what hes doing". They don't realize that no matter how easy the cutter sees it and how it couldn't be any more of a prefect senerio . That anything can happen. Then if something does go wrong? The customer puts the word out that your a no good son of a gun, and gives you a bad rap! I haven't had any residential mishaps yet. Knock on wood! I'm hoping to keep it that way. ☝️However, s**t dose happen! In my humble opinion, nothing is guaranteed when felling trees!
I often hate having an audience...often times you get the people that are self-professed experts. In those cases, I'm thinking "if you're so darn good, how come I'm doing this?" Luckily, these people are super cool and appreciative...I actually didn't mind having an audience in this case, he was genuinely curious about how/why I do things and it's kinda fun explaining it to someone.

I get tired of the audience at my fire job. The minute people find out you're cutting a hazard tree, everyone wants to watch. Same thing there, everyone's an expert...I'll often tell people other than my crew to just go away. I don't want anyone distracting me...my crew knows that their jobs are to keep the area secure and to yell like mad if they see something start to come loose in the top of the tree.

That a 60"? I looked at the Forester bars, but couldn't find any long one in a Stihl large 3002 mount. This biggest I've got is only a 50." 🤣
62", I normally run it on my 660 fir milling table tops out of big Burrells. Its a slow go and hard on the head. The chains gotta be just right! The last one I milled was 52" across. I couldn't find a double ended 60". Not even used on eBay! 😫

View attachment 1034291
I like the 1/4" on mine. I had the Stihl bar/chain and clutch before the saw arrived and didn't make any cuts with the original setup. The Echo bar/chain will fit some of my other other saws too.

I got a little side job done this afternoon, 3 okay sized pines. The smallest was 28" on the stump, the largest was probably 32"ish+. The large one had a head lean and I was half expecting to hang it up...but I was able to pour the coals to it in the back cut w/the 566i and got it down to a thin hinge before it fully committed to the lay. The thin hinge was useful to quickly build enough velocity to not get limb locked.

The one furthest to the right was really easy, a little bit of pounding, but easy peasy.

The one furthest to the left had a really healthy back lean. I shot a line up into it with my big shot and we were able to pull it over.

This was the first real "test" of the 566i hybrid, other than screwing around in the wood lot. I'm really impressed with the results. I was only running a 28" in pine, but this thing screams in the cut...no reason it won't do the same with a 32" or even a 36".
View attachment 1034257
Gotta see a video of that 566i cutting!! 👍

Good morning guys. It's been awhile and I don't think I'm going to read 100+ pages of posts. Been really busy lately. I hope everyone has been well. I scrounged a nice buck and doe on our rifle opener. I had my older boys help me find it. They were excited!20221119_115029.jpg
I hope everyone has a blessed Thanksgiving with family and friends.

Good morning guys. It's been awhile and I don't think I'm going to read 100+ pages of posts. Been really busy lately. I hope everyone has been well. I scrounged a nice buck and doe on our rifle opener. I had my older boys help me find it. They were excited!View attachment 1034320
I hope everyone has a blessed Thanksgiving with family and friends.
Nice.
They look like they're enjoying the hunt too.
Happy Thanksgiving 😊

Latest posts

Back