Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hope you all have a nice day today. prob won't have any fires in the fireplaces... seems things are warming up...
zzzzxtk.JPG
some good looking TGD dinner birds pix. we had 3 meats. a full bird is tradition with me. but, alas... time is marching on. so turkey was a side. lol. but perfect. and i din't have to thaw it!! bacon & tenderloins, and some smoked bbq brisket. and of course for the (and stuff) part of the thread... some stuffing, too! plenty leftovers. TGD dinner at my camp:
.P1010016.JPG
P1010001.JPGP1010014.JPGP1010004.JPGP1010008.JPGP1010015.JPGP1010005.JPG

it finally dawned on me. sorta missed that year when i had half a cord firewood cut n stacked in garage. why not add a small woodbox? had one ideal size, so did just that. i like a fire in the MBR, but not so having to go back outside in cold and get more wood leaving warm, cozy bedroom area.

past few evenings here in the 40's... watching some tv-MBR fireplace
P1010004.JPGP1010001.JPG

Apple-lemon-garlic-onion brined bird in the oven. New to me vintage cast aluminum roaster

View attachment 1034597View attachment 1034598View attachment 1034599
got one just like it. mine is a wearever. never done a bird in it. how did it turn out? any pix? i have another big enuff for a bird. but same, never done one in it. have a smaller alum, too. my Dad had an alum one he oft used like for Sunday dinner. called it a dutch oven. i bet a lot of birds missing this morning, then again... prob some evidence left over from day before...
zzzzxhg.JPG

bit 'old hat' these days. so much seems to change so fast! :rolleyes: but got a bit of a fever to go get and scrounge me up some firewood. oak. ez scronges. no splitting req'd!! 😋 few nice spots real close. some tinkering on my saw, then my saw train, too... and should be ready. one is on curb, so got a day or so before city steps in. 🤞

well, u get the idea....
1669401785493.png

got one just like it. mine is a wearever. never done a bird in it. how did it turn out? any pix? i have another big enuff for a bird. but same, never done one in it. have a smaller alum, too. my Dad had an alum one he oft used like for Sunday dinner. called it a dutch oven. i bet a lot of birds missing this morning, then again... prob some evidence left over from day before...
View attachment 1034819
It’s not the prettiest bird because it was cooked covered the whole time but it was quite tasty. I cook them breast down to keep that part juicy.

If you want a pretty bird, pull the cover 45 minutes before it’s done.

C4924B61-D034-4FA6-A9FA-A5DA39F7A378.jpeg

I don't know who this came from, but I found this brand new 372 wrap handle in my locker when I came in to work. My 372 is already a W model, so I guess I have a spare handle. It's kinda cool, people just leave spare saw parts for me.:)
View attachment 1034743
Never know when you'll have a bad day, cut a corner and have one come over on the head. Always helps to have a spare set of Wraps laying around! 👍 I have three spare sets! 😫😫😉🤣🤣🤣

Yep, my 500i w/ a 660 piston. It's a pretty good runner, but I'm going back into it to tweak some stuff once I clear a couple of saws out of the shop.
Sounds bad a**, but if you build it up to much. You'll rob a lot of hours out of that head and be replacing top ends much more often! You probably already know that. Just thought Id mention it. 👍😉

I had a chance to run a friend of mine's 400 yesterday. I must say, I was a bit impressed! More power than I expected!👍 "25" inch .50g bar, full comp 3/8 hand tuned with a round file. Chain was about 90% fresh.
Assuming you mean Stihl ms400....
I really like mine, they're pretty dandy saws imo.

Assuming you mean Stihl ms400....
I really like mine, they're pretty dandy saws imo.
Yeah Roger, MS400. Pretty responsive throttle and good power fir a stock "70cc class" saw! A Cutter could actually use it in a production setting cutt'n a strip of smaller wood! 👍 I'd run a 20" on it myself, but that's just me.

It’s not the prettiest bird because it was cooked covered the whole time but it was quite tasty. I cook them breast down to keep that part juicy.

If you want a pretty bird, pull the cover 45 minutes before it’s done.

View attachment 1034821
My wife cooks a lot of our meals in the crock pot. Ain't always pretty, but always turns out gooooood!

Yeah Roger, MS400. Pretty responsive throttle and good power fir a stock "70cc class" saw! A Cutter could actually use it in a production setting cutt'n a strip of smaller wood! 👍 I'd run a 20" on it myself, but that's just me.
Mine came setup with a 20" which was kinda short I thought....but it's such a light power head it's actually really handy with that length bar.
The 400 has pretty much obsoleted my 372xp for the wood we have here.....
When I first got the Stihl I was cutting a couple acres of sub 20" yellow pine, it was the cat's meow for that application.

I think the 400 is an excellent saw that has been really eclipsed by all the 500i hype...not that there's anything wrong with the 500....it's just nobody really plays much notice to the 400 because of it.

Mine came setup with a 20" which was kinda short I thought....but it's such a light power head it's actually really handy with that length bar.
The 400 has pretty much obsoleted my 372xp for the wood we have here.....
When I first got the Stihl I was cutting a couple acres of sub 20" yellow pine, it was the cat's meow for that application.

I think the 400 is an excellent saw that has been really eclipsed buy all the 500i hype...not that there's anything wrong with the 500....it's just nobody really plays much notice to the 400 because of it.
Well, STIHL markets their 500i as a "bigger saw" in their pro saw line up, and put it in the same class as saws with bigger displacement even though it has less. However, they are both in the pro line up. IMOP The 400 and 500 are in two entirely different classes of power. I really couldn't see needing a 500 unless I was running a 28" or 32" bar. I personally feel a 36" is to much for the 500. Yes it will pull it, but how efficiently fir how long in bigger wood?

But a dedicated grapple won't do near as many different jobs as pallet forks/grapple. That's what makes that combo so desirable. So, in the end, that combo tool saves you money and time, not having to change tools for different jobs.

My pallet fork combo has been so versatile, I rarely even take it off the tractor...

SR

I search pallet forks with thumb/top clamp now and there’s only a few skid steer size, none the size I need. I don’t have the information from before.

I think I’ll also be using mine to pick up brush, and as a root rake. There’s a lot of brush and exploded tree debris on our place, two forks won’t do much good with that.

755DBCB8-4417-421B-A67C-906012E1C8B4.jpeg

Back