Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't climb, so I'm generally liming the tree after it falls, and making firewood out of the limbs, so numerous elevated cuts letting the tree hold the branches up for me (sometimes I'll climb onto the tree when it is down, other times I just go in from each side).

But, when you are balancing, extending and reaching over and over again, a light saw is nice to have.

I have 2 - 28" LW Shihl and a 28" LW Sugi, but the Stihl bars are way lighter than the LW Sugi. (But the Sugi is very tough).

I was surprised, as my 20" LW Sugi is one of my lightest 20" bars.
Really? I was looking for a 28 and was going to grab a sugi. I know you gotta grind em a bit to make fit a husky but might grab a stihl from the dealer to try if they are that light

Sounds like they are great machines. Those Gators are a real aide.
Gators? Oh Heck yes. My 4x2 has 4400 hours on it, all original, 10 hp single cyl air cooled Kawi FE 290. The 6x4 has 450 hours garge kept second owner, with a twin watercooled Kawi. Max speed is 20mph, but I dont need the speed, I need the verstility and utility. I visit the Gator forum, and the messages I see from guys buying the bigger annd faster (less capacity) SXS's and the problems they have with them, and the John Deere lack of parts and service for them simliar to STIHL, and you couldn't pay me to own one, not to mention the new costs that go with it.

Sadly, the prices in the used market are sky high, I bet I can get 7-8k for my 6x4 with nothing more than a good bath, and they are both 2002 models. A new 6x4 is north of $13K, forget picking one up at auction, stupid high selling prices.

Really? I was looking for a 28 and was going to grab a sugi. I know you gotta grind em a bit to make fit a husky but might grab a stihl from the dealer to try if they are that light
The Stihl LWB are very light. Even if I only had Huskies, I'd probably be running Stihl LW bars on them.

Sorry, no comparison weights between my 28" Sugi and my 28" Stihl, the Stihl is noticeably lighter...but the Sugi is still lighter enough than a conventional bar to be worth it.

32" Stihl lwb versus 25" Stihl conventional in the picture...not in the picture, 25" Stihl lightweight is 2lbs 9oz and the 28" lwb is only a few oz heavier than the 25":

20220418_191250.jpg20220418_185350.jpg

The Stihl LWB are very light. Even if I only had Huskies, I'd probably be running Stihl LW bars on them.

Sorry, no comparison weights between my 28" Sugi and my 28" Stihl, the Stihl is noticeably lighter...but the Sugi is still lighter enough than a conventional bar to be worth it.

32" Stihl lwb versus 25" Stihl conventional in the picture...not in the picture, 25" Stihl lightweight is 2lbs 9oz and the 28" lwb is only a few oz heavier than the 25":

View attachment 1038303View attachment 1038302
Yea the Oregon LW 36” is two pounds lighter than a standard bar in that same length that’s a significant difference.

On centering the crank ,,, does not matter how well you actually center it. TreeMonkey (a very respected builder) recommends lightly tapping the crank in each direction several times till the crank frees up.

It is not just centering; it aligns the bearings.

You don't need a special hammer, just tap lightly.

Hope this helps, it works for me, I do it every time.
I might have to pull the seals back out and give that a try.

For me not having a big saw is just a matter of opportunity hasn’t presented itself. I can’t justify spending big saw money on a new saw when what I have works fine, and I’ve never seen anything bigger than 60cc for sale here in this area

I'd love an opportunity to buy at 400i. I'm at the end of my wood cutting life (still got a few years in me) and can't justify a new saw. Sorta hoping my MS362 grows legs some night if I leave the garage door open. Hmmm, maybe if I left it propped against the mailbox?

When you get to be 69 your thoughts on this will be different. I can still use a 90cc saw but not like I can handle a 50cc saw or a 372xp.

At 87 a 90 is out of the question. I had to fire up the MS441 last summer a couple times. Wouldn't want to toss around even that one very much.

I'd love an opportunity to buy at 400i. I'm at the end of my wood cutting life (still got a few years in me) and can't justify a new saw. Sorta hoping my MS362 grows legs some night if I leave the garage door open. Hmmm, maybe if I left it propped against the mailbox?
Let me know when u set it out. :yes:

Maybe if you put it in a card board box and accidentally mail it to alaska.

That's not being simpleton, but rather a Neanderthal :laughing:.
I'm just not as strong as you, can't handle a big saw for very long.
I sold a guy a 357, it was his first small saw, he had two 288's lol.
Yeah, I am a bit of a "rock make tool' crow magna knuckle dragger I guess.😂 Splitting wood with rock hammer and chisel was the cats meow until I tried actual wooden handle steel tools! 🤣😉

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!👍

To be perfectly honest with you the 372xp is the biggest saw I own. It’s very rare to find wood over 12” here and all soft. Most of my firewood doesn’t even need split.
That definitely justifies not needing a 90. 👍 Good on ya!

I'm a good ol boy and a big kid at heart. I don't take to many things seriously or personal. I joke around a lot on this forum and love a good joke myself, but "three cigarette load." 🤔 I don't get it? 🤷 What did I miss? 😂
That must have been a three cigarette load :laughing: .

They my be out dated, but IMOP. The 044 was and STIHL is one of the best, most reliable, and longest lasting power saws ever designed! Great all around saw. If a person could only choose one saw? Its hard to beat a STIHL 044! 👍
Yeah, I like them. Simple and reliable, also good power for their weight. I don't want to crap on anyone's saw choice, but I never liked the 441 that replaced the 440. IMO Stihl finally came out with a worthy successor with the 462.

That's the particular saw I used to carry at work until I got a 462R. It's an old fire saw...they get run on the crew a few seasons, maybe get a top end rebuild in that time, and then they get replaced by new saws before they become too problematic. Some of us will end up with the old worn out saws and then will rebuild them for a personal falling saw...that's what I did with this one, the top end was roached on it among some other issues.

Anyway, I rebuilt it with a 52mm top end(76.5cc) and ran that for a couple years at work. Finally was able to score the sole possession of the brand new 462R and have been rocking that for a little while. Kinda had to, as I was looking at missing work because of carpal tunnel issues...when it's flaring up, rubber-AV Stihls are out of the question for me to run.

I ended up messing with a bunch of aftermarket top ends on this particular saw, I really learned a lot about porting on it. As it sits right now, it's got a 460 top end on it...I really nailed it for a falling saw on this particular build, it's actually got really nice torque for a hybrid saw. I have another 044, pretty much the twin to this saw. That one is a bit of a spicier build, but can be a bit "pipey" for a work saw...cuts like mad if you have your chain set up perfectly for it though.

It's twin, although they have 2 different personalities:
20220125_121411.jpg.253286f2a7e723a33ace539c36ef16e0.jpg

Back