Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope that machine works out for you kid! Looks like a clean machine, but definitely smaller than I would want for my needs.

I’m guessing it’s set up with foot controls?
It should be just fine fir a starter steer. My only concern is if a track over wheel kit will perform well in wet mud. Not really horribly soft and deep mud just slick sloppy mud. One thing about the Island. Is getting equipment here is a cost in itself so once its here. I'm positive I'll be able to sell it fir as much or more than I'll have into it. A lot of folks rent the one in town. Always a waiting list. We'll see what happens. If it doesn't do the job I need it to? I'll get a bigger high track skid steer. If that means talking to the bank? It is what it is. 🤷 However, I've never been known to go into any serious project half a**! It takes money's to make money's. If one starts off with junk? Hes going to be working with junk until hes not. Down time is a fisherman or loggers worst enemy. Time is all about money in both industries. We shall see what happens. I've got a long way to go yet before I can even get started. STIHL need a couple different implements, track kit, dependable truck to tow the trailer, insurance and probably a few more things that will pop up when I least expect it. Putting a lot on the line here, but I wouldn't do it if I thought I'd fail. FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!!!

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware! 👍

I like the pole, they left it bare and now it's all rusted. I like rusted roofs too lol.
As for the look of the whole thing, I think this one looks relatively good all things considered. But if we could get rid of all of them that would be nice, unfortunately that would probably mean we are the towers :oops: .
The bare pole serving as the trunk? Kind of a new trend here in the US, for Europe has been using it long before us..... Its called Weathering Steel, with a specific recipe I guess you could call an alloy for a generic use of the word, the intent is to let the weathering create a skin much like a galvanizing compound might, or the patina on copper that develops, that just keeps the rust to a surface flash. It does not develop pitting or flaking and resulting section losses, and the upside is over time, there is no painting or maintenance coatings. Im seeing alot of it, Ped bridges, poles of all kinds, even guardrails in the western states. Not terribly expensive on the front end, and savings over time are attractive, but then again the "attractive" of its looks rusty, and not "painted" turns some people off. There is alos a restrictive "Buy America, Build America- BABA" issue for me and what I do and build requirement. which makes things tougher to source.

It should be just fine fir a starter steer. My only concern is if a track over wheel kit will perform well in wet mud. Not really horribly soft and deep mud just slick sloppy mud. One thing about the Island. Is getting equipment here is a cost in itself so once its here. I'm positive I'll be able to sell it fir as much or more than I'll have into it. A lot of folks rent the one in town. Always a waiting list. We'll see what happens. If it doesn't do the job I need it to? I'll get a bigger high track skid steer. If that means talking to the bank? It is what it is. 🤷 However, I've never been known to go into any serious project half a**! It takes money's to make money's. If one starts off with junk? Hes going to be working with junk until hes not. Down time is a fisherman or loggers worst enemy. Time is all about money in both industries. We shall see what happens. I've got a long way to go yet before I can even get started. STIHL need a couple different implements, track kit, dependable truck to tow the trailer, insurance and probably a few more things that will pop up when I least expect it. Putting a lot on the line here, but I wouldn't do it if I thought I'd fail. FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!!!

https://www.spartanequipment.com/skid-steer-attachments/tracks/

The bare pole serving as the trunk? Kind of a new trend here in the US, for Europe has been using it long before us..... Its called Weathering Steel, with a specific recipe I guess you could call an alloy for a generic use of the word, the intent is to let the weathering create a skin much like a galvanizing compound might, or the patina on copper that develops, that just keeps the rust to a surface flash. It does not develop pitting or flaking and resulting section losses, and the upside is over time, there is no painting or maintenance coatings. Im seeing alot of it, Ped bridges, poles of all kinds, even guardrails in the western states. Not terribly expensive on the front end, and savings over time are attractive, but then again the "attractive" of its looks rusty, and not "painted" turns some people off. There is alos a restrictive "Buy America, Build America- BABA" issue for me and what I do and build requirement. which makes things tougher to source.
Most of the cell towers around here are left to "rust". Mrs. FS thought one on our property would be ugly. I started pointing out other towers and she remarked she had never even noticed them. :crazy2: That's what ours was supposed to be until a local busybody with a grass field airport a couple of miles away got involved. Now ours is orange and white. Now it stands out like a pumpkin in a watermelon patch.

Most of the cell towers around here are left to "rust". Mrs. FS thought one on our property would be ugly. I started pointing out other towers and she remarked she had never even noticed them. :crazy2: That's what ours was supposed to be until a local busybody with a grass field airport a couple of miles away got involved. Now ours is orange and white. Now it stands out like a pumpkin in a watermelon patch.
So your saying you have the "Great Pumpkin" on your place? I'll let Charlie Brown know.

IDK KK, IDK......

I understand your impatience, but let me talk you out of it. You are admitting you might not be making a great choice. The OTT's are okay, but a compromise is all they really are. You will dread install and removals of OTT's, so you wont do them as often, and have a bad compromise. You will hate what they do to asphalt and concrete, will absolutely dig into asphalt, and scar concrete, in a second..... Plus wear when you traverse those hard surfaces. They are slippery as all can be on steel such as your trailer deck, so you gotta chain that down, compared to a Rubber track, I dont tie down in my dump trailer, it never moves an inch. Yes, they do work in mud, but dang they will create a mess everywhere.

Down time. You MUST have a spare tire mounted on a rim, a jack, and a sufficient impact gun ON THE TRAILER, at all times for the flat you're going to have- many times. And think about this- A rear tire, poked with a hinge splinter, with the OTT's on. You're a sailor, so you already know some curse words. Well. when this above scenario happens- you're going to be a multilingual Sailor with words no one else can understand., and using them ALL. It will take you an hour just to stop cussing about it before you get to work fixing it. You wont need a spare with a CTL.

I'll reiterate since you didn't really elaborate on your business model- What are you going to be doing? Light selective land clearing, firewood collecting and sales, maybe some grading work and fill jobs, driveways and ditch culverts. From the pictures of you and the War Wagon, the terrain you show us? You will reget the wheeled machine in a few hours. You ever see jackasses do wheelies with them? Well, you're going to be doing them when one front wheel hits a stump you dont see because you have a couple of sticks in a grapple, that you have held way down low, because of the uneven terrain (you gotta keep the load low). Heaven forbid you experience the "wheelbarrow", riding on just one rear wheel, because that don't end well. A wheeled machine will beat you to death in that environment you show us in pictures, like there was an overloaded dance floor of mexican jumping beans in your kidneys all day..... How tight are your Glutes? (not that I really want to know) but you will be gripping the seat with your ass all day trying to stay in the seat. Got 'Roids? You will develop one or more..... You will want to wear a helmet in that terrain. If you are flying about, you will be flying about in the cab, and smack your head against the ROP, true story.

Never once, not even for a minute, to your bestie or anyone else, do you loan it out. It wil come back broken or they break themselves. Number one cause of injury and death in the equipment rental business is Skid steers and land clearing or debris pick up acitivty. You will not rent your machine.

It says something that you have a rental yard on the island and their machine is always busy. Go get some of that business. You being proficient, the job can get done for only a little bit more than if they do it themselves witha rental, and they dont have to get dirty, they just need to realize what will take them two days (one to do the work, another to fix up all the stuff they "damaged" while they tried to DIY, and you do it in a half a day instead- money/time saved for them.

Wheelie skids are for asphalt and roadbuilding, moving dirt around yards and stockpiles, or loading yards, not offroad, and not forestry apps. Before CTL's, there were Loegerring OTT's, specifically to take these smaller more compact machines into the woods to do some work because they were smaller, but they didn't solve the problems of "tearing up" land that shouldn't have been torn up with dozers to do the same work. Hence- the CTL was born. If the OTT's were good enough, no one would need a CTL. AND, the CTL can do asphalt and loading yards in a noice flat setting too, just as well.

Sorry- mile longer post, but- you gotta keep searching- I prefer my ASV, I dont miss the bigger chassis or HP, but, you could do what you want with an RC 60- if you have too. RC 75 or 80. Just research there are some Cat years and Terex years that had electrical issues, but no worse than any manufacturer. They still brand the ASV in Canada as Posi Track. (the original Forestry Mulcher). Look around for a demo and pay up now, first, and do it only once. (You relay if the skiddy bopper dont work out you can sell it? Hows that? KK- "Yeah I dont like it because of its shortcomings, but YOU'LL love it." Buyer- "I dont think so, Jerry, Imma gonna lowball you"

I got rid of a skid and bought my loader tractor, it's been a HUGE improvement!

How do you tow a loaded trailer, or skid logs a half mile out of the woods, or skidding them home. I can go through deep mud or snow towing that load, a skid would be stuck there. My tractor has a bigger bucket and lifts more, rides better is easier to work on and uses less fuel. The list goes on and on and on....

I don't use my loader tractor to plow fields with, but I DO use it with a "skidding winch" on it, and it works great for that! A tractor is FAR better for logging saw logs or for firewood collection!

SR
We'll have to agree to disagree.

Going to have to disagree to a high Degree, Sawyer....... A TRACTOR is not more versatile. I think the number of implements is greater for skids, but even if they were capable of an even number of attachements between them, the speed and manouverability and fitting in spaces is not even close. Perhaps a wheeled skid steer- the proper term being skid steer, yeah, maybe if thats what you had and got rid of because of the limitations of suspension-less skid steers, sure. They can get stuck, they dont have tractive power, you are right.

Have you ever owned a CTL?

But you will never convince me a CTL or Track loader such as we are talking about, you're going to get left in the dust, claiming a tractor is more versatile. My machine is rated a 1000 pound lift capacity, and I know I've taken 1500 on a weighed pallet off semi trucks multiple times with just a 100# of counter weight on the receiver out back. ASV was invented by some guys in Minnesota that do alot of business in Canada, and they invented the CTL with rubber tracks and independant suspension to have both high flotation in mud and snow, AND have traction in the same. I have Gumbo, and I can carry a fresh cut green stick 30" on the butt end 10' long through a Gumbo mud puddle. I dont drag my firewood logs. I can load the 12k dump trailer 20 acres away full of logs I load with the CTL, and hook up to it, and drag that tandem axle through the same Gumbo patch. I didn't NEED to get rid of my wheeled machine, but it was worthless with Gumbo stuck to the treads. I have a Mitsubishi Compact Ag tractor, and she is a one trick pony- bush hog only, no FEL. I do have a box blade with ripper shanks, but why use it when I have a rootrake and grapple? and a GP bucket, and a grading bucket for my CTL? Google Gumbo, then imagine dragging a log through it, you'll be calling a CTL to come pull you out, or hunting up a bunch a chain and cable and hoping to find a tree to attach to.

A tractor more versatile than a CTL? Not even.

I dont have snow, but I do have Maritime Hammock, and claey sand, and quite nearby, Gumbo. And, Cypress Swamp.

And, I have both a CTL and a tractor.
This 👆🏼. I agree. Only thing better then a tracked skid loader is a tracked cat loader, or possibly a wheel loader with chains.both too big and out of most people's price range.
One thing we need to remember is we all have different needs in equipment, and different conditions we need to deal with. I recently made a similar choice to KK, i could have gotten a little wheeled skid loader, or the tracor i ended up getting. The tractor made more sence for my needs. I need a 3 point hitch and rear pto. And well the tractor doesnt tear up the yard as bad as a skid loader. I'd still get a smaller tracked machine if I could afford it and take the loader off the tractor. Heck even the tractor has a ssqa on the loader. Just another point to how skid loaders dominate that market segment.

IDK KK, IDK......

I understand your impatience, but let me talk you out of it. You are admitting you might not be making a great choice. The OTT's are okay, but a compromise is all they really are. You will dread install and removals of OTT's, so you wont do them as often, and have a bad compromise. You will hate what they do to asphalt and concrete, will absolutely dig into asphalt, and scar concrete, in a second..... Plus wear when you traverse those hard surfaces. They are slippery as all can be on steel such as your trailer deck, so you gotta chain that down, compared to a Rubber track, I dont tie down in my dump trailer, it never moves an inch. Yes, they do work in mud, but dang they will create a mess everywhere.

Down time. You MUST have a spare tire mounted on a rim, a jack, and a sufficient impact gun ON THE TRAILER, at all times for the flat you're going to have- many times. And think about this- A rear tire, poked with a hinge splinter, with the OTT's on. You're a sailor, so you already know some curse words. Well. when this above scenario happens- you're going to be a multilingual Sailor with words no one else can understand., and using them ALL. It will take you an hour just to stop cussing about it before you get to work fixing it. You wont need a spare with a CTL.

I'll reiterate since you didn't really elaborate on your business model- What are you going to be doing? Light selective land clearing, firewood collecting and sales, maybe some grading work and fill jobs, driveways and ditch culverts. From the pictures of you and the War Wagon, the terrain you show us? You will reget the wheeled machine in a few hours. You ever see jackasses do wheelies with them? Well, you're going to be doing them when one front wheel hits a stump you dont see because you have a couple of sticks in a grapple, that you have held way down low, because of the uneven terrain (you gotta keep the load low). Heaven forbid you experience the "wheelbarrow", riding on just one rear wheel, because that don't end well. A wheeled machine will beat you to death in that environment you show us in pictures, like there was an overloaded dance floor of mexican jumping beans in your kidneys all day..... How tight are your Glutes? (not that I really want to know) but you will be gripping the seat with your ass all day trying to stay in the seat. Got 'Roids? You will develop one or more..... You will want to wear a helmet in that terrain. If you are flying about, you will be flying about in the cab, and smack your head against the ROP, true story.

Never once, not even for a minute, to your bestie or anyone else, do you loan it out. It wil come back broken or they break themselves. Number one cause of injury and death in the equipment rental business is Skid steers and land clearing or debris pick up acitivty. You will not rent your machine.

It says something that you have a rental yard on the island and their machine is always busy. Go get some of that business. You being proficient, the job can get done for only a little bit more than if they do it themselves witha rental, and they dont have to get dirty, they just need to realize what will take them two days (one to do the work, another to fix up all the stuff they "damaged" while they tried to DIY, and you do it in a half a day instead- money/time saved for them.

Wheelie skids are for asphalt and roadbuilding, moving dirt around yards and stockpiles, or loading yards, not offroad, and not forestry apps. Before CTL's, there were Loegerring OTT's, specifically to take these smaller more compact machines into the woods to do some work because they were smaller, but they didn't solve the problems of "tearing up" land that shouldn't have been torn up with dozers to do the same work. Hence- the CTL was born. If the OTT's were good enough, no one would need a CTL. AND, the CTL can do asphalt and loading yards in a noice flat setting too, just as well.

Sorry- mile longer post, but- you gotta keep searching- I prefer my ASV, I dont miss the bigger chassis or HP, but, you could do what you want with an RC 60- if you have too. RC 75 or 80. Just research there are some Cat years and Terex years that had electrical issues, but no worse than any manufacturer. They still brand the ASV in Canada as Posi Track. (the original Forestry Mulcher). Look around for a demo and pay up now, first, and do it only once. (You relay if the skiddy bopper dont work out you can sell it? Hows that? KK- "Yeah I dont like it because of its shortcomings, but YOU'LL love it." Buyer- "I dont think so, Jerry, Imma gonna lowball you"

This 👆🏼. I agree. Only thing better then a tracked skid loader is a tracked cat loader, or possibly a wheel loader with chains.both too big and out of most people's price range.
One thing we need to remember is we all have different needs in equipment, and different conditions we need to deal with. I recently made a similar choice to KK, i could have gotten a little wheeled skid loader, or the tracor i ended up getting. The tractor made more sence for my needs. I need a 3 point hitch and rear pto. And well the tractor doesnt tear up the yard as bad as a skid loader. I'd still get a smaller tracked machine if I could afford it and take the loader off the tractor. Heck even the tractor has a ssqa on the loader. Just another point to how skid loaders dominate that market segment.
🤦 Now you guys got me second guessing and getting cold feet! I was going to run to town today and do a wire transfer but now Im thinking I should hold out fir a high track skid steer! DANG IT!😰

🤦 Now you guys got me second guessing and getting cold feet! I was going to run to town today and do a wire transfer but now Im thinking I should hold out fir a high track skid steer! DANG IT!😰
Rent the one from town and see how you like it.

I would assume , what are your primary terrain and conditions , ur going to be working in and application for ur needs .

I would assume , what are your primary terrain and conditions , ur going to be working in and application for ur needs .
No asfalt or concrete I can tell you that much! Woods logging 95% of the time. Flat ground fir the most part. What about a rubber track over wheel kit?

No asfalt or concrete I can tell you that much! Woods logging 95% of the time d. Flat ground fir the most part. What about a rubber track over wheel kit?
Rent the one from town and see how you like it.
I have but I didn't use it in the woods. Just around my property for demolition of old barn and shed. It was a wheel skid. Way faster and more maneuverable than a tractor without a question. Thats for sure!👍

No asfalt or concrete I can tell you that much! Woods logging 95% of the time. Flat ground fir the most part. What about a rubber track over wheel kit?
I would check out YouTube, there’s a lot of videos for tracks on wheels applications. Metal versus Rubber and so on .

After reading @GeeVee post. My big concern now is flats with the tracks on it! As far as the track kit? I really don't see myself swapping the tracks on and off that much at all. Im going to be on the man made flat rock very little.Most all residential tree service jobs here are on the suburb/country gravel roads.

The ONLY pro to a tractor is price
Not if it doesn't have a backup camera.
Main reason I bought my kubota L3800 is because the price was awesome, but the main reason I was looking at tractors in the first place is because with the kids around I wanted 360 view so I didn't run one over. You can put a camera on for cheap enough these days that it's not a big outlay, but comparing apples to apples(or sort of anyway), visibility of those around you is another pro of a tractor.
Not sure about the ground speed of a skid, I know some are pretty fast these days, but both my tractors move along pretty good. I surely wouldn't want to travel any distance on one if I didn't have to.
Edit, top speed of the bobcat s175 is 11mph and the Kubota L3800 is 13, not fun going top speed on/in either unless the ground/road is very smooth.

An issue with a wheeled unit here is traction in sand, you better know what your doing, or you'll be on the belly pan in no time, tracked unit does fine though.

What do you think about a track over wheel skid steer fir woods applications Sean?

Yes, just the pole is rusted.
I've seen rusted metal used in many aspects of construction for a good number of yrs, and I like it a lot. I would have much rather had it on the roof of my barn rather than the ugly painted steel that's on it :baba: . But, the rusted metal I wanted was about 3 times the cost delivered since it comes from out west, and I have over 7k into the roof metal, facia, soffit, and the F and J channel, 21k for that, out of the question. Then what happens when you come up 31.5" short of the facia and need one piece like I just did last weekend :envy::envy::envy:. Fortunately I can drive right to the place I bought the metal from in about 20mins, that was a selling point when I bought from them.
I also prefer not to buy anything off the slow boat if I can avoid it, and I go a long way out route to do just that. Let's go CCP.

Latest posts

Back