Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got rid of a skid and bought my loader tractor, it's been a HUGE improvement!

How do you tow a loaded trailer, or skid logs a half mile out of the woods, or skidding them home. I can go through deep mud or snow towing that load, a skid would be stuck there. My tractor has a bigger bucket and lifts more, rides better is easier to work on and uses less fuel. The list goes on and on and on....

I don't use my loader tractor to plow fields with, but I DO use it with a "skidding winch" on it, and it works great for that! A tractor is FAR better for logging saw logs or for firewood collection!

SR
utility can be a personal thing! :popcorn2:

The bare pole serving as the trunk? Kind of a new trend here in the US, for Europe has been using it long before us..... Its called Weathering Steel, with a specific recipe I guess you could call an alloy for a generic use of the word, the intent is to let the weathering create a skin much like a galvanizing compound might, or the patina on copper that develops, that just keeps the rust to a surface flash. It does not develop pitting or flaking and resulting section losses, and the upside is over time, there is no painting or maintenance coatings. Im seeing alot of it, Ped bridges, poles of all kinds, even guardrails in the western states. Not terribly expensive on the front end, and savings over time are attractive, but then again the "attractive" of its looks rusty, and not "painted" turns some people off. There is alos a restrictive "Buy America, Build America- BABA" issue for me and what I do and build requirement. which makes things tougher to source.
Such alloys are usually referred to by the (U.S. Steel owned) trademark 'COR-TEN' over here (Belgium). I believe they are not exactly cheap but they do get used for outside applications a lot indeed, although it seems to me that it's usually monuments or works of art that are built with them.

Here's an example of a 'floating' staircase (basically a fancy lookout tower, for tourists) close to one of my cutting places, made out of weathered steel. The thing was built with a lot of flex in it, if you want to be alone on it (it's quite a popular thing to visit), you just have to jump for a little while... soon enough all the others will have left :p:cool:.

e81fbf1a-55e7-11e4-b12d-17aae70144c1_original.jpg

1 out of 5 stars for your joke...

Those things look so bad, I think a regular ol' tower is less ugly than the fake tree towers. Unfortunately, they only put up the fake tree towers around here.
i :heart: chipper's jokes!!! 🤩

...always 5-star, imo.
:givebeer:

🤔 You really think it that bad of decision hu? What's your opinion on CTL under carriage and track assembly maintenance and maintenance costs vs rubber track over tire?
I'll take maintenance over repairs, every day of the week. But really? I'm not selling you one either..... BUT. Its not about maintenance or repairs, its strictly about buying the machine for the tasks, and I'm telling you I've seen enough of your scrounging wood pics to know you're going to bash your head against the ROP cage enough with a tracked machine, that when I tell you the Wheeled machine would be ten times more often, Im not exagerating. You just aren't going to be happy with a wheeled machine in those Off road conditions you have. Heck- you could go cheaper and buy a tractor/FEL and do better in the offroad scrounging, than with a wheeled skiddybopper, but you'd have a lot of mud on your wood, constantly.

You have all the skills you need to maintain an undercarriage- you dont need to get scared about it, its not that tough. People that complain about it, are probably beating on their equipment, not maintaining it, and are beyotching about REPAIRS.

I run my ASV on half throtttle. You know how many experts have told me its not good for hydraulic pumps? SO many. Yet here it sits, with ZERO pump issues after 17 years. My Bobcat went almost 20 years, 10k hours, and never once opened up the motor or the hydro pumps, never. 8 sets of tires at 2k per set. My ASV just got new tracks at 15 years with ZERO tightening, and had tons of tread- and they were not loose in the slightest, which is why I recommend ASV. The molded lugs sheared off due to dry rot in one weekend all on one side. (the Rubber lugs are 90 durometer and integrated into the 70 durometer track at the molding process) I didn;t complain, I had the new tracks in two days from one state away at $2k OEM.

I'm a bit of a "expert" on equipment, because ( I am lazy) I have a background of using all kinds for many different construction experiences. Marine construction, residential and commercial construction, land clearing, environmental construction and remediation, road and bridge construction. Lots of specialized iron have passed my hands. I've never done anything by hand I can find a piece of machinery to do for me. I've bid and taken jobs solely to pay for the piece of equipment I wanted to use on the job, paying for labor from another business or out of my own pocket- thats how lazy I am (and creative at business financing).

You will not be happy with a wheeled unit off road, it will simply beat your ass to death. Another thing to consider- the cost to ship being what it is, you'll be paying for it twice when you have to buy a CTL after buying a wheeled unit. PLUS, when you go to sell the wheeled unit, the market is going to be tough to find the buyer IMO.

Anyone who claims a tractor is more versatile then a skidsteer hasn’t run a skidsteer enough.

The ONLY pro to a tractor is price
i can't comment, as i have only sat in a skidder... but... imo

SR's pix say a lot, he seems to know how to use his equipment well! i like his pix!

Tractors are definitely nice and a three point hitch and PTO are a nice addition.
In a perfect world it would be nice to have both!👍 If I had a farm and cut my own hay. Well of course a Tractor. Fir what Im doing. The Skid Steer is going to shine over a tractor, but "hay". 🤷To each his own right!😉
hey - u got a point! can't see u up there pulling a bailer.... :lol:
:givebeer:

🤔You don't say? 😂 Oh I'd just love to go head to head, each of us logging an acer of downed timber bucked into saw logs! A high track skid steer with a skidding grapple vs your tractor! Both the same horse power. Logged, "OVERLOADED" on a trailer, hauled on down the line and back fir another "OVERLOAD!" Until the acer's done been Logged! It be nice to see just witch is a faster, better, and more efficient machine fir logging. Bets could be made until the books were closed! Even money!🤣😂🤣
you might have trouble shredding 10,000 ac like SR does!!!! lol... no s kidding around! :laughing:

if i had to, i'd put my :envy: on a proven shredder in that dept, well... pasture! :cool:

That's bad a**! That skidding grapple is a game changer if one is going to log with a skid steer! Unfortunately a machine like that is out of my price range. At least fir now! Id rather have a set of log tongs on the front though I don't think that feller head is big enough fir the wood Im dealing with.🤣 Besides, I prefer to do my own cut'n 😉
u mite not like the shipping costs! :lol:

I hope that machine works out for you kid! Looks like a clean machine, but definitely smaller than I would want for my needs.

I’m guessing it’s set up with foot controls?
i think he said he just needed it for some small stix.... :popcorn2:

It should be just fine fir a starter steer. My only concern is if a track over wheel kit will perform well in wet mud. Not really horribly soft and deep mud just slick sloppy mud. One thing about the Island. implements, track kit, dependable truck to tow the trailer, insurance and probably a few more things that will pop up when I least expect it. Putting a lot on the line here, but I wouldn't do it if I thought I'd fail. FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!!!
Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware! 👍
keep us updated!

:drinkingcoffee:

We'll have to agree to disagree.

This 👆🏼. I agree. Only thing better then a tracked skid loader is a tracked cat loader, or possibly a wheel loader with chains.both too big and out of most people's price range.
One thing we need to remember is we all have different needs in equipment, and different conditions we need to deal with. I recently made a similar choice to KK, i could have gotten a little wheeled skid loader, or the tracor i ended up getting. The tractor made more sence for my needs. I need a 3 point hitch and rear pto. And well the tractor doesnt tear up the yard as bad as a skid loader. I'd still get a smaller tracked machine if I could afford it and take the loader off the tractor. Heck even the tractor has a ssqa on the loader. Just another point to how skid loaders dominate that market segment.
o_O can a modder be far behind...?

No asfalt or concrete I can tell you that much! Woods logging 95% of the time d. Flat ground fir the most part. What about a rubber track over wheel kit?

I have but I didn't use it in the woods. Just around my property for demolition of old barn and shed. It was a wheel skid. Way faster and more maneuverable than a tractor without a question. Thats for sure!👍
i admit, sometimes having to back up... fwd, angle... back up etc.... the shredder for tight corners is a pita! :yes:

but then a skidder seems to me maybe bit like a zero-turn around a tree! would hate to tear up the turf around base of tree!!!! :rolleyes:
:laugh:

Not if it doesn't have a backup camera. Main reason I bought my kubota L3800 is because the price was awesome, but the main reason I was looking at tractors in the first place is because with the kids around I wanted 360 v
Edit, top speed of the bobcat s175 is 11mph and the Kubota L3800 is 13, not fun going top speed on/in either unless the ground/road is very smooth.An issue with a wheeled unit here is traction in sand, you better know what your doing, or you'll be on the belly pan in no time, tracked unit does fine though.
pan in the sand! :omg:

just getting stuck is bad enuff! don't ask me how i know.... !

Latest posts

Back