Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BC Active Wildfires:
http://apps.gov.bc.ca/pub/dmf-viewer/?siteid=5131184402955244847
184 active fires are being fought across British Columbia with 9 evacuation alerts and orders currently in effect, impacting over 800 homes.
http://bcwildfire.ca/hprscripts/wildfirenews/FireCentrePage.asp?FC=0

Interestingly about 25% or more of BC's current fires are caused by careless people, the rest are lightning strikes in the forest.
Nothing close to me yet, but if anyone is good with Rain Dancing, feel free to start now.
:cool: Keep Calm and Carry on!

Got cousins up in the Twin Cities area that are complaining about the smoke. They said it smells awful and it is not good to be outside. We even have the haze down in the La Crosse, WI area. Doesn't smell yet.

DjcEJtUSYRkCIWQRXfreLag6HiweFxvGQs1xuOwu7nk=w1223-h917-no

Might be 80*+ out there but we'll be doing this very soon LOL

Canadian smoke , that was BC's biggest export and cash crop ,,,, but that's for another forum ;)
Power to weight and small saws , save the pennies and get a MS241 or if you're of the Husky camp I think it's the 550xp
If you're looking for older get an 026/260 or the 346/350/353 and then ,if you have some extra funds , a trip to one of the grinders for a woods port :)
Cantoo , get what you can , let them pay the property taxes , sell some if you have to if you run out of room LOL

Was out tonight after the temps dropped a bit and winched out a load , black spruce is what I got , no complaints from me and even got a few logs that I can saw up to make a few boards :)

4LdykOzaGEStC5JlRHJWo3L_KjLjt_VT4bdXriwK0qw=w1223-h917-no

I guess it was a little heavy maybe ....

DG7YynFrPtNYoHsb8NhbQZFVdC5-zMftQCZfJKXq90U=w1223-h917-no

Good power to weight ratio , nimble and dependable as a brick 026

LSwYO0ibE_osJ8VZOWmhhiPNu0nuCH0lZ0SM3AIIwaA=w1223-h917-no

A ms 241 sounds nice but I have no need to drop $550 on the backup saw. I just cant rationalize that. If I go stihl and new I would end up with a ms251 homeowner special since it is the backup saw and would get it done for $340 or less new. As much as I want a pro saw I really dont need one. I probably wont wear out the MS271 I have now. Right now I am looking for the best deal in the 40cc range that I can find on a used one. In my area if it is orange and says Stihl on it people think they have gold. CL ad for MS 170 for more than new price. People asking 175 for a 199 poulan pro 35cc. If they can get it great but it wont be from me.

To be fair I was a stihl fan boy but now I am equal opportunity. I have no problem with echo, that little baby saw I got last week has put a smile on my face and kept my back from aching on the little stuff. I think I need to find a husky to play with next. Life's to short to not try them all.

Good attitude Nomad, but there are may ways to look at it. As you say, life is short, I would get a pro saw (better power/wt) and make the 271 my back up saw. 044 #1 is over 20 years old. I remember not wanting to pay that much for a saw, but now, I don't even remember what I paid for it, and it has held up so well it does not really matter.

I'm not saying my view is right and yours is wrong, just another way of looking at it.

The other thing that has kept me all Stihl (in addition to the saws giving me no reason to change) is I can put any bar & chain on any saw, they all interchange. I like that simplicity. One extra B&C can be used as a backup on any of them.

Our lingering smoke is down 90 percent overnight and it's a beautiful 57 degrees this morning. If I didn't have a couple of meetings today I would have taken the day off. Would have been a great one to scrounge with a high of only 70. Was 87 on Sunday.

Glad to hear things are improving, it was starting to sound like a 3rd world Country, or CA!

And hey, if they has Smellevision instead of Television, no one from GA or NJ would ever be elected to national office!

Good attitude Nomad, but there are may ways to look at it. As you say, life is short, I would get a pro saw (better power/wt) and make the 271 my back up saw. 044 #1 is over 20 years old. I remember not wanting to pay that much for a saw, but now, I don't even remember what I paid for it, and it has held up so well it does not really matter.

I'm not saying my view is right and yours is wrong, just another way of looking at it.

The other thing that has kept me all Stihl (in addition to the saws giving me no reason to change) is I can put any bar & chain on any saw, they all interchange. I like that simplicity. One extra B&C can be used as a backup on any of them.

My 70cc saw will be a pro saw, probably a ms441 or 461. And I understand you can switch bar/chains and sometimes rim sprockets to make the interchangeability work nicely unless you are running the same pitch on all your saws. The 271 will eventually run a 16" bar regularly. When I need a 20" + bar I usually want a bigger saw to go with it. If I had a do over my ms271 would be a ms261 but I dont have a do over with that saw, wife bought if for me for my first fathers day. I will have that saw until it dies. As for a small 40cc saw that will get used but I dont expect it to be used a ton I dont want to drop the money for a pro saw. But I will need to see how much the baby saw I have gets used. If it is enough maybe a ms241 may be in the cards but as of right now. I do not know.

271 is a pretty solid saw. I cut all of my wood last year with one. Since then I've added roughly seven more saws in various states of operability, but I think I have five solid runners without going downstairs to count them. It all just happened so quickly. :ices_rofl: I picked up two Makita 6421's when I was in Tennessee a couple weeks ago. A fixer and a parts saw from a Home Depot that didn't want to take the time to fix them. $75.00 for the pair. Pretty good scrounge, eh?

I completed a small scrounge of a different flavor over the weekend. There's a small out building that came with the house and property when I bought it that I've been wanting to turn into a chicken coop. So I scrounged up some wood from another outbuilding and built myself some nesting boxes and roosts for the chickens that I hope to get in the next couple of weeks.

Haven't been able to do much wood cutting with all of the rain and mud. I feel like I'm wayyyy behind, but there's wood on the ground over at Dad's house that we cut and can't get too until it dries up a bit. We'll get after it before the cold returns.

Hope everyone has been doing well.

The 271 is nice especially with a 16" bar with a 20" bar it could use some extra grunt. It is a bit heavy. If I could own all pro saws I would. But going forward the 70cc I want will be. I am almost tempted to take a chance on a saw from the bay if and only if it is the right price. But then I remember I can buy on here and have a 100% better chance of getting a quality saw.

A ms 241 sounds nice but I have no need to drop $550 on the backup saw. I just cant rationalize that. If I go stihl and new I would end up with a ms251 homeowner special since it is the backup saw and would get it done for $340 or less new. As much as I want a pro saw I really dont need one. I probably wont wear out the MS271 I have now. Right now I am looking for the best deal in the 40cc range that I can find on a used one. In my area if it is orange and says Stihl on it people think they have gold. CL ad for MS 170 for more than new price. People asking 175 for a 199 poulan pro 35cc. If they can get it great but it wont be from me.

To be fair I was a stihl fan boy but now I am equal opportunity. I have no problem with echo, that little baby saw I got last week has put a smile on my face and kept my back from aching on the little stuff. I think I need to find a husky to play with next. Life's to short to not try them all.
If all you want is a backup to free a stuck saw, take a hard look at manual saws. They are not very exciting but on a one saw plan like mine they become a way to free a stuck saw.

Nothing wrong with homeowner saws , I picked up a like new MS210 for cheap , I cut down and blocked up a couple of cord with it , no complaints at all .
A friend of mine bought 40+ acres and needed a saw so I passed it on to him , he's cut polly 6 cord so far , loves his saw .
I had a 270 , another friend has it now .
I have a 3 saw plan , 3 026's and 3 361's LOL
I have other saws as well but the 026's do most of the work for the wood I cut .

Latest posts

Back