Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good way to blow some of the carbon out.

Speaking of: 72 Plymouth Valiant. Trip toKamloops BC from Spokane Wa. There is a fairly steep grade going down the Coulee Dam canyon and I showed my wife how to shift down to low on it. Next trip she made byherself. Yep. Coulee dam to Kamloops some 300 miles in 2nd gear. Tranny rebuild. Luckily not a motor.

I scratched the itch. Came back this morning from shoppign with a Stihl MS400C in the trunk. It will replace the 362 - nothing wrong with it but it isn't up to new technology. My 88th birthday present which doesn't come up until next month.
:happy::happy::happy:

Another gum down, Took this one out before my tree buddy comes and drops 6 large trees. Need them gone so I can put my shed in. One red oak is standing dead in the woods to the right of this picture. One poplar and 4 white oaks coming down. I just chucked this gum up in 6-8’ sections. A friend wants it, I’ll load it on his trailer with the tractor.664A35F2-3974-48F8-B1EB-1BB35555EB8F.jpeg

I scratched the itch. Came back this morning from shoppign with a Stihl MS400C in the trunk. It will replace the 362 - nothing wrong with it but it isn't up to new technology. My 88th birthday present which doesn't come up until next month.
Give it a good 8-10 tanks. You'll love it after it wears in.

Winch is mounted did some preliminary testing with the rear d ring on the trailer and was pretty happy with the results. One I didn't rip the d ring off. (Which I shouldn't it's a 5/8" d ring.) I did get the plate to move a bit. That darn channel flexes like I thought it may. Gonna get my brother over here this weekend and hook the trailer to the truck, take my 79 down on the bottom hill and see if it drags it up the hill and how much it flexes. Figure if I load the bed with my weights and I have about a ton of blocks sitting around it should be a decent test of it. But I admit I may be figuring out how to move the jack and running braces forward. Channel is pretty strong, but I'd bet it would eventually start to crack from getting bent under heavy load.
Winch mounted and my Japanese battery charger hooked up.

Attachments

• 20230202_173432.jpg
    20230202_173432.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Winch is mounted did some preliminary testing with the rear d ring on the trailer and was pretty happy with the results. One I didn't rip the d ring off. (Which I shouldn't it's a 5/8" d ring.) I did get the plate to move a bit. That darn channel flexes like I thought it may. Gonna get my brother over here this weekend and hook the trailer to the truck, take my 79 down on the bottom hill and see if it drags it up the hill and how much it flexes. Figure if I load the bed with my weights and I have about a ton of blocks sitting around it should be a decent test of it. But I admit I may be figuring out how to move the jack and running braces forward. Channel is pretty strong, but I'd bet it would eventually start to crack from getting bent under heavy load.
Winch mounted and my Japanese battery charger hooked up.
Leverage can be a b….. :p

Leverage can be a b….. :p
Well I was hoping it wouldn't have moved as much, but like you say it's a lot to be asking from a channel standing on end with 16" above it. I'll come up with something creative. May have to stop being cheap and go buy some more metal and see if a single brace down the middle right behind the jack attached to a crossmember connecting to the two side of the tongue will hold up. Should be able to slip a little box on either side then.

Well I was hoping it wouldn't have moved as much, but like you say it's a lot to be asking from a channel standing on end with 16" above it. I'll come up with something creative. May have to stop being cheap and go buy some more metal and see if a single brace down the middle right behind the jack attached to a crossmember connecting to the two side of the tongue will hold up. Should be able to slip a little box on either side then.
That might work. You have created quite a lever, lol
you can always hook up to the end of the trailer and tap the control and see what folds first 🤪
start a pool on how many taps it takes 😀

or not…

what is underneath at the front of the trailer bed? Anything you could tie into as a counter-lever? That would raise the fulcrum but if those side tubes are beefy it might be enough.

Aftermarket loader? Never seen one painted black.
Soo long story short. Finding a factory loader for a older model tractor is near impossible. So me and dad built one.

Attachments

• 20220711_171201.jpg
    20220711_171201.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220711_171151.jpg
    20220711_171151.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
That might work. You have created quite a lever, lol
you can always hook up to the end of the trailer and tap the control and see what folds first 🤪
start a pool on how many taps it takes 😀

or not…

what is underneath at the front of the trailer bed? Anything you could tie into as a counter-lever? That would raise the fulcrum but if those side tubes are beefy it might be enough.
Right under the decking? Not much. That front channel has a angle welded to it for the boards to set in. There's a crossmember somewhere behind that. Can't remember how far back it is, I think 24".

Right under the decking? Not much. That front channel has a angle welded to it for the boards to set in. There's a crossmember somewhere behind that. Can't remember how far back it is, I think 24".
How about a piece of 1/4” flat stock…3 or 4” wide from the base of your “tower” to that xmember? Of course that xmember might not be strong enough but I’m just speculating.

Sounds like the size Im thinking on 👍
Here's his not long after we finished it. Since then he closed in the lean-to.
20161004_135518.jpg
He said he was going to add another lean-to onto the left side, I trimmed a few branches off the Maple so he could. I told him he should remove the whole tree, we'll see how it all works out.
20220627_190755.jpg
Here's a video from 10 months ago, you can see our barn in it, mainly from 4:40 on.

How about a piece of 1/4” flat stock…3 or 4” wide from the base of your “tower” to that xmember? Of course that xmember might not be strong enough but I’m just speculating.
Or similarly he could lower the base of the tower with some channel under the trailer(maybe 4-6", depending on how low the trailer is) and then add a piece of angle to that crossmember. Then add another piece of angle going forward to right before the jack. With a single piece of angle or tube coming from the top of the tower back to the top of angle/tube near the jack.
That would make the diamond shape you were recommending for @djg james trailer 😀.

Or similarly he could lower the base of the tower with some channel under the trailer(maybe 4-6", depending on how low the trailer is) and then add a piece of angle to that crossmember. Then add another piece of angle going forward to right before the jack. With a single piece of angle or tube coming from the top of the tower back to the top of angle/tube near the jack.
That would make the diamond shape you were recommending for @djg james trailer 😀.
just trying to keep his ground clearance about the same.

Back