Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grilled Venison tenderloin and beef ribeye, sauteed onions, wood stove roasted spuds and steamed fresh carrots. 😉 Hard to beat! View attachment 1055663View attachment 1055665
Hard to beat! ~ you got it man! it's on my menu tonite, too! no joke. w/cast fry pan roasted spuds, and i mite just do some carrots, too! :rock:

plan to cut up into grillers (medallions) roll in flour and then into hot fry pan of bacon grease. film at 11 ~
P1010001.JPGP1010002.JPGP1010003.JPG

Well, Im definitely going to have to disagree on that for sure. My neighbor put 4 7mm mag 170's clear through both shoulders on a 9'6 Kodiak. It STIHL made it to the alders and lived several minutes before the two hunter's went in after it. The only reason they killed it is because the bear stood up and he was able to break the bears neck. I figured you would know you don't want a projectile to punch clear through the animal. It is best if ALL of the bullets energy is used inside the animal. Morris Talifson is responsible for more successful Kodiak Bear hunts than the next top three Alaska bear guides combined! Throw your buddy Phil in there and that makes four! The 7mm Mag is not at all! In any shape or form a good "Bear gun!" Break them down? WITH A DANGEROUS GAME STOPING GUN. YOU DONT HAVE TO BREAK THEM DOWN! Your going to break a 1000 lb charging Animal down that is coming at you from 10 yrds at 20-25-30mph? Are you super sonic super man or something? My good friend, excellent hunter and fairly good shot got charged last fall. Also by a 9.5 footer. The bear started its charge at aprox 50 yards the brush was so thick he didn't get his first shot off until 12yrds!!! He didn't even get the rifle thrown down on the bear until 25ysrds!! The first shot rolled the bear stopping it just long enough for a second shot. Five shots total untill the bear stopped moving. All from an experienced hunter fireing a 300WM!!
Now Your going to sit there and try and convince me that A 7mm Mag or 30-06 is just as capable if not more than a 375-H&H or a .416 or a .458 Lott? On Dangerous Game animals??? Have you gone Bananas SR? How many stopped charges have you really seen? Why is it illegal to hunt any ANY! of the big five with anything smaller than a .375 H&H?? A 222 Remington can kill a bear with one shot behind the ear! Dose that make it s good bear gun too???
Then on top of it. You basically call me a lier by saying I'm full of S*"t! 🤣🤣

Well Hundreds of thousands of thousands of African and Alaskan Guides and experienced hunters must all be wrong, but SR is right because that's what Dr Phil says!!! 🤣🤣

Come on man!!! Wake up and smell what you're shoveling! 👎

Good Day Sir! A good day to you indeed!!!
I read your post a couple of times, it's become clear that you are posting with second and third hand knowledge, And even though I'll answer this one with FIRSTHAND knowledge, this is it, I'm not going to take the time it takes me to type out what I've learned by "doing" to answer what you have read or been told!

First of all, did you notice when I said 7mm Rem. mag. or 30-06 I ALSO stated the bullet to use in them? That's the important part you keep loosing, like your neighbor and his 170 grain 7mm's. I've never seen a 170 grain 7mm bullet, doubt you even have that part right, and of course now that I called you out on it, you will make some lame correction.

Next, breaking a big bear down: Anytime I've seen a serous bear charge (firsthand experience here) they come to you in what looks like a zig-zag run, their head goes down a bit. A shot right at the top, over the head hits the spine (CNS) and they roll like a basketball. You could shoot their heart out 5 times with your cannon, but they will still live long enough to get to you!

A 30-06 with 200NP's or a 7mag. with 175 NP's will break that spine EVERY time, no problem at all! They won't be dead, but they ARE "down for the count" and it's very easy to walk up and shoot them wherever you want, been there done that!

Bullets going on through: Once again, you are pegging my BS meter. IF, you understand how an NP works, you would have known that the front third to half of an NP expands fast and expels a LOT of energy, then the rest of the bullet acts like a solid and breaks bone or whatever it hits, and most times goes on through leaving an exit hole. (read blood)

Examples: Saw a guy fire 5 shots at a big bear with a 378 Weatherby, 270 grain Hornady bullet, I believe the first and third shots were hits, the distance was just under 100 yards, and bear was running after the first shot. The bear made it to some tall alders and started up the side of a mountain, the guy had reloaded and shot at it two more times when it was going up but quite a ways away by then, all misses, I'm sure. (this was on Kodiak)

It was evening and at dark the bear still wasn't found, in fact there was no blood or anything, we looked most of the next day and never found any trace.. 5 days later a guide friend of mine saw a big bear up high, limping with two large patches of hair missing and the skin under black and crusty. The patches were one on the left shoulder and the other, too far back as in or near the guts! Two 378 hits and a limping bear... Later he found where the bear had laid and there was hair there, but he never saw the bear again.

How about one shot with a .458 500 soft point, right in the boiler room, it took out the heart, but the bear ran over 100 yards before expiring, the bullet was still in the bear, no blood trail to follow.

I could go on and on, but I think the readers of this post are smart enough to figure out what is what here, so now I'm done with this and will not answer you again, so you can spend some time thinking up a snappy answer to put here, attempting to put me down. lol

SR

Grilled Venison tenderloin and beef ribeye, sauteed onions, wood stove roasted spuds and steamed fresh carrots. 😉 Hard to beat!
Hard to beat! ~ you got it man! it's on my menu tonite, too! no joke. w/cast fry pan roasted spuds, and i mite just to some carrots, too! :rock:

plan to cut up into grillers (medallions) roll in flour and then into hot fry pan of bacon grease. film at 11 ~
will include them, too! already salavata-ting.... 😋 cook will be right after...
:givebeer: HH!~

Nice, Any of those three cartridges will work. I don't think you need a Lapua Myself. The .300 loaded with a 200gr A-frame, Nosler P or Barnes TSX or TTSX will do the job just fine providing you make the first one or two count! Your not a resident of AK so you will definitely have a big game gide with you. He should be more than willing to go in to think cover to help finish the job if things were to get ugly. However, I have total confidence you'll do fine. Just don't shoot a bear if hes to close to you and has seen you. If you place a sloppy on accident? (Every hunter has done it at least once in their lives.) And its not a vital or crippling hit? He can come in hot almost instantly! Very hot! Your guide will tell you when to shoot. That's one of many reasons why they are there in the first place. You ever come to Kodiak to hunt Bruin? Give me a heads up before you go. I know a few folks here. 👍😉

I have this taped on my freezer out in the shop. Its a good flash card! 👍
View attachment 1055515
this is awesome

I read your post a couple of times, it's become clear that you are posting with second and third hand knowledge, And even though I'll answer this one with FIRSTHAND knowledge, this is it, I'm not going to take the time it takes me to type out what I've learned by "doing" to answer what you have read or been told!

First of all, did you notice when I said 7mm Rem. mag. or 30-06 I ALSO stated the bullet to use in them? That's the important part you keep loosing, like your neighbor and his 170 grain 7mm's. I've never seen a 170 grain 7mm bullet, doubt you even have that part right, and of course now that I called you out on it, you will make some lame correction.

Next, breaking a big bear down: Anytime I've seen a serous bear charge (firsthand experience here) they come to you in what looks like a zig-zag run, their head goes down a bit. A shot right at the top, over the head hits the spine (CNS) and they roll like a basketball. You could shoot their heart out 5 times with your cannon, but they will still live long enough to get to you!

A 30-06 with 200NP's or a 7mag. with 175 NP's will break that spine EVERY time, no problem at all! They won't be dead, but they ARE "down for the count" and it's very easy to walk up and shoot them wherever you want, been there done that!

Bullets going on through: Once again, you are pegging my BS meter. IF, you understand how an NP works, you would have known that the front third to half of an NP expands fast and expels a LOT of energy, then the rest of the bullet acts like a solid and breaks bone or whatever it hits, and most times goes on through leaving an exit hole. (read blood)

Examples: Saw a guy fire 5 shots at a big bear with a 378 Weatherby, 270 grain Hornady bullet, I believe the first and third shots were hits, the distance was just under 100 yards, and bear was running after the first shot. The bear made it to some tall alders and started up the side of a mountain, the guy had reloaded and shot at it two more times when it was going up but quite a ways away by then, all misses, I'm sure. (this was on Kodiak)

It was evening and at dark the bear still wasn't found, in fact there was no blood or anything, we looked most of the next day and never found any trace.. 5 days later a guide friend of mine saw a big bear up high, limping with two large patches of hair missing and the skin under black and crusty. The patches were one on the left shoulder and the other, too far back as in or near the guts! Two 378 hits and a limping bear... Later he found where the bear had laid and there was hair there, but he never saw the bear again.

How about one shot with a .458 500 soft point, right in the boiler room, it took out the heart, but the bear ran over 100 yards before expiring, the bullet was still in the bear, no blood trail to follow.

I could go on and on, but I think the readers of this post are smart enough to figure out what is what here, so now I'm done with this and will not answer you again, so you can spend some time thinking up a snappy answer to put here, attempting to put me down. lol

SR
No answer, No argument and no rebuttal from me either. Im done with it too SR. Yes 175gr not 170 an honest and simple mistake SR! Why, BECAUSE I DON'T HUNT WITH OR BUY 7mm MAG! We can both go back and forth all day on this. What you've seen and what Ive seen. Also, quite frankly, I don't give a d** what anyone else on the thread thinks about our argument. You on the other hand obviously do! The argument was between YOU and I in the end SR. Nobody else. Also, the fact that Ive lived in Rural and remote Kodiak all my life coexisting with these magnificent and beautiful animals and the fact that Im an avid outdoorsman compounding the coexistence. Obviously gives me no credibility in your eyes. Do you seriously feel I don't know the difference between either spining an animal, or breaking them down with multiple shots? SERIOUSLY SR??? One can possibly spine a charging bear with a .223 or .222. Im not going to attempt it though! You can go right ahead if you'd like!
I've take'n two Kodiaks myself and been on many other hunts assisting others as well. The fact that you judge someone you don't even know on this subject by you your self saying. I have little or no first hand experience. Well, quite frankly is an insult. However, Im not the least bit offended. That just seems to be the way you operate. You just lost a little bit more of my respect is all. Maybe you don't care, but I do. A mans respect is a valuable thing SR. Also, why on earth would I want to put you down???

Good Debate and good hunting to you in the future SR Thankyou that is all.

I have always been a proponent of using enough gun....these armchair quarterbacks on the internet brag about one shot kills on elk and larger game with a .243.

Is that possible? Yes. Is it prudent? IMO no.

My dad shot his 9-6 kodiak with a .338 win mag. Took three shots and still took 45 minutes to die because even with a broken shoulder, it made it down into a brushy thicket and all they could see was the outline of the bear balled up and couldn't determine head from tail. Talifson's jr guide told him that if you shoot the ball, it may piss it off enough to charge us.

Under perfect conditions it does not take much to kill game. But when do we have perfect conditions? Not often.

If I was hunting brown/kodiak/grizzly I would carry .300 mag minumum but preferable .338 or .375.

No answer, No argument and no rebuttal from me either SR. Except the fact that Ive lived in Rural and remote Kodiak all my life coexisting with these magnificent and beautiful animals! The fact that Im an avid outdoorsman compounds the coexistence. I've take'n two of them myself and been on many other hunts assisting others as well. The fact that you judge someone you don't even know on this subject by you your self saying. I have little or no first hand experience. Well, quite frankly is an insult. However, Im not the least bit offended. That just seems to be the way you operate.

Good Debate and good hunting to you in the future SR Thankyou that is all.
credit where credit due! no debate, imo...

i like a lot of what SR posts... and the kid, too! :yes:

for whatever... the pix of the kid and the bear with the rifle is a FTW for me! :numberone:

i subscribe to the kid's background and life-style.. 👍 i do not think he BS's anyone!! and i do not think the bear/KK pix was shopped!

>Well, quite frankly is an insult.
it read that way to me, too! just sayin'... (BS meter?? :wtf:)

guess what i am saying is i am waiting for SR's bear kills and bear foto album.... :popcorn2:

I'm trying to think of what would be rubber at the bottom of the plow. Only rubber we had was a flat at the top to help deflect snow coming over the top edge. The cut edge was steel.
The mount on the 624h wad pretty generic. Cut off the lower mounts and welded it to a quick hitch plate. There was some reinforcements to it going to the top of the plate. It really stuck out the front of the loader.

I didn’t know some were steel on the bottom, wouldn’t that tear up the asphalt? Here’s what I’ve been seeing.
583BACCC-7199-4761-91BF-CEABEB67F30E.jpeg

I won’t have a quick attach plate, I plan on building an adapter with plow quick attach on one side and loader arm holes on the other side.

credit where credit due! no debate, imo...

i like a lot of what SR posts... and the kid, too! :yes:

for whatever... the pix of the kid and the bear with the rifle is a FTW for me! :numberone:

i subscribe to the kid's background and life-style.. 👍 i do not think is BS's anyone!! and i do not think the bear/KK pix was shopped!

>Well, quite frankly is an insult.
it read that way to me, too! just sayin'... (BS meter?? :wtf:)

guess what i am saying is i am waiting for SR's bear kills and bear foto album.... :popcorn2:
As far as the pictures of my bear hunts and others I've assisted on. You guys ain't seen nothing yet! All in due time gents, all in due time! 😉

Latest posts

Back