Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a productive day today. Went to church with the family. The wife, kids and FIL went to the local snowmobile races and I stayed home and got some projects done.
I finally got my IBC tote turned into a firewood tote.
20230212_154228.jpg
Saved the top for a cover.
20230212_161028.jpg
Then I went down to the brush pile as Chipper calls it and got another load of rounds.
20230212_143338.jpg
Here's a view from the top of the log pile.
20230212_143311.jpg
Then I had some fun with the X27. This year old ash splits like butta!
20230212_154200.jpg
Now some wings, whiskey, friends and football!

Had a productive day today. Went to church with the family. The wife, kids and FIL went to the local snowmobile races and I stayed home and got some projects done.
I finally got my IBC tote turned into a firewood tote.
View attachment 1057392
Saved the top for a cover.
View attachment 1057391
Then I went down to the brush pile as Chipper calls it and got another load of rounds.
View attachment 1057394
Here's a view from the top of the log pile.
View attachment 1057390
Then I had some fun with the X27. This year old ash splits like butta!
View attachment 1057393
Now some wings, whiskey, friends and football!
Looks like a GREAT day!

That it is. That’s the third iteration of that trailer. That’s the rig that once skidded down all the logs to make Mustang Mikes cabin

Each of those logs made it through the woods via that wacky contraption View attachment 1057397
So you r sayin that it is a very utilitarian trailer?

There is nothing wrong with the soft maples as firewood. I have burned many cord of silver maple. It coals really nice in my stove and a couple big chunks will leave a bed of coals that will singe the hairs off your hand when you go to put more wood in come morning. Red maple ain't bad either, even Manitoba Maple which is box elder is decent wood. Better than the btu charts would have you believe. Lotta folks around here believe they need sugar maple but those are the people feeding half seasoned wood into an old cast iron smoke dragon with multiple elbows in the chimney in a hundred year old farmhouse with nothing for insulation and single pane wood frames windows. You can't tell those folks anything! Properly seasoned wood in an appropriate sized stove with secondary burn is both environmentally responsible and much more efficient and effective at heating a home. End of rant! Lol 🤣

There is nothing wrong with the soft maples as firewood. I have burned many cord of silver maple. It coals really nice in my stove and a couple big chunks will leave a bed of coals that will singe the hairs off your hand when you go to put more wood in come morning. Red maple ain't bad either, even Manitoba Maple which is box elder is decent wood. Better than the btu charts would have you believe. Lotta folks around here believe they need sugar maple but those are the people feeding half seasoned wood into an old cast iron smoke dragon with multiple elbows in the chimney in a hundred year old farmhouse with nothing for insulation and single pane wood frames windows. You can't tell those folks anything! Properly seasoned wood in an appropriate sized stove with secondary burn is both environmentally responsible and much more efficient and effective at heating a home. End of rant! Lol 🤣
Manitoba maple aka box elder 😆 :laughing: 😆 yea I agree on the maple, strait grained, splits and dries easily. That's pretty much all my dad's been burning this year and dead ash all the other wood, oak and popple was to wet, we just bucked and split 18-24 mo old saw logs this October that we piled up in 2020 and 90% been maple/ash and a bit of popple and cherry if it checks out on the moisture meter

i was meaning to ask. can u tell us about ur fry pan cooking class? how many? did they have to bring their own stuff? one night? or a full semester? etc :)

sounds interesting. i did the other 2 fry pans tonite. still got a 12" if i want to clean it up. 6" and 8". both now ready for test and tune cooking... trials!
It’s about a three hour class. All you need to provide is an open ear and help cook some meals. I bring all the cast iron and food supplies.

For the steak dinner we charge $40 and the pizza class is $30. Prices used to be $25 and $20 respectively before the bidenomics inflation hit. But everybody goes away stuffed and we always have leftovers….one of my rules is if you’re rolling with Steve, nobody goes hungry.

For the last steak dinner, we fed nine people off of the six person menu plus lunch for the janitor. And one of the students took home a half gallon of French onion soup.

You forgot one...... Holes in the floor for extra " ventilation"!

I was at a Home Depot today near Carmel, NY and saw firewood bundles priced at $8.95 for a .6 cu. ft. bundle. That works out to about $1,900/cord... People are nuts!
I’m sure Home Depot gets a bigger cut, but if I recall most gas stations make about two bucks a bundle and the firewood producer gets the rest.

I haven’t had much time for optional activities this winter, but my daughter and I were able to do some snowmobile riding with friends yesterday. This is the downstream view of Kettle Falls, which is along the Canadian border. In the summer you can boat very close to either side but obviously open water does not permit snowmobiling. They do have trails that bring you into the overlook from a safe area.

8DC90935-B1C7-43DE-B842-ED5D03D172B9.jpeg

Latest posts

Back