Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kodiak Kid

Kodiak Kid

Idiot with a "power saw"
Supposed to be 14 tonight without the wind chill, and it's coming out of the NW at 20mph-25mph. That would put temps well into single digits. Marine forcast is calling for "Heavy Freezing Spray" I was down to only two rounds of Spruce left this morning. Figured I better go buck'n haul a quick War Wagon OVERLOAD!!
20230212_175123.jpg

In this weather If I keep a fire burning In both the shop and house 24 hrs a day? This is about 3-4 days worth of wood, but Probably 3 days. This ol house is like Swiss cheese! 🤣

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

MechanicMatt

MechanicMatt

Cut Split Stack Burn
I was at a Home Depot today near Carmel, NY and saw firewood bundles priced at $8.95 for a .6 cu. ft. bundle. That works out to about $1,900/cord... People are nuts!
Didn’t realize you lived near my pops and Uncle

I’m on the other side the River. SS396 is my closest other member

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
I got them through AmericanMuscle.com back in Oct. They are TRQ high performance ignition coils and they only cost me $160.- You may have to call them as they were not always clearly identified as to who they were made by.
Thanks Mike.
I'll check them out and see what it will run for 10 of those. Any suggestions on plugs? I have no idea what's currently in there.

GrizG

GrizG

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Didn’t realize you lived near my pops and Uncle

I’m on the other side the River. SS396 is my closest other member
I'm actually north of there about an hour. My lady friend moved down that way a few weeks ago to be closer to her job and daughter... and her son is moving back to the area from Boston. She was about a half hour north of me before... The new place has two fireplaces, compared to one at the old place, so I'm not out of a scrounging job. 😃

Lee192233

Lee192233

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
There is nothing wrong with the soft maples as firewood. I have burned many cord of silver maple. It coals really nice in my stove and a couple big chunks will leave a bed of coals that will singe the hairs off your hand when you go to put more wood in come morning. Red maple ain't bad either, even Manitoba Maple which is box elder is decent wood. Better than the btu charts would have you believe. Lotta folks around here believe they need sugar maple but those are the people feeding half seasoned wood into an old cast iron smoke dragon with multiple elbows in the chimney in a hundred year old farmhouse with nothing for insulation and single pane wood frames windows. You can't tell those folks anything! Properly seasoned wood in an appropriate sized stove with secondary burn is both environmentally responsible and much more efficient and effective at heating a home. End of rant! Lol 🤣
I like silver and red maple also. Not oak or sugar maple but it's as good as ash or maybe a little better because it coals up better. I run a pre EPA smoke dragon furnace. It has secondary air so I can get a pretty smoke free burn. It chews wood though!

MustangMike
That it is. That’s the third iteration of that trailer. That’s the rig that once skidded down all the logs to make Mustang Mikes cabin

Each of those logs made it through the woods via that wacky contraption View attachment 1057397

That is me milling the Ash post + beam used to build my cabin!

pdqdl

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
. AS Supporting Member.
@pdqdl can I ask why this and most of the other pinned threads in the firewood forum are no longer pinned/stickied to the top of the page?

Well... I'd be happy to tell you if I knew.

Without you mention a thread specifically, I can't come close to an answer. I don't think the threads keep a history that I get to review, so if it's not posted inside the thread somewhere as a comment, I'm unlikely to know.

Best guess: management determined that it should be the way that it is.