Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because they hired the same German engineer/advertising guy stihl did:laughing:.
I think that was where the original Ford Fiesta came from...

The dealership where I worked was expecting their first Fiesta but it wasn't on the truck... Seems the driver left it at another dealership about 45-50 miles away in the heart of the Catskills. I went and got it with another guy and I drove it back... That turned into a bit of a debacle for the shop as, as I recall, they wrapped the brakes in plastic to protect them during the overseas shipment. Well... when the brakes got hot the plastic melted and gummed things up. The intended process was that the receiving dealership was supposed to prep the car before it was driven anywhere beyond shipping and delivery needs. Oops... we didn't know that up front. 🤣

1676521258214.png

I wasn't thinking about your truck specifically. I was thinking about the guys with 1/2 ton trucks who added a leaf or two and/or overload springs to them with no consideration for the brakes or frames. That was a common thing around here...

I recall a guy with a pottery business who did that to an F150. When he killed that truck by running it far in excess of the design GVW he got an F250 with an appropriate GVW package. He commented that it stopped much better, and the brakes lasted far longer, but the gas mileage wasn't as good. 🙄
Or…one of the guys who bought firewood from our crew back in the late 80s with a Ford f250 flatbed pulling a 2-cord trailer…3 cord of green Almond at 6k#/cord…. Got off the hwy on a downhill exit.…tried to stop…wound up wedged under a big rig trailer. Troopers fined him for multiple violations. Truck totaled, etc.
He came back to the orchard with a Ryder rental, box truck. We loaded him with 5 cord…🙄
boy never learned…mud flaps were dragging’ when he left…

I added leafs to my old F150 with the 300six and 5spd. I’d fill her up full with wood. Just need to use your noodle a little. That shifter could be used to help slow down, not just speed you up.

Admittedly, not the smartest moves. But you do what you must to hear your family

Poor trucks body rotted all around it’s running gear.
Ya just start your braking a half mile before you normally would…no problem 🤣

Hey, if you want to see an overloaded vehicle, (wish I had some pictures) I remember loading some huge Red Oak rounds into the back on my Pinto Station wagon. They were much too heavy for me to lift (and I was young and strong then), but I rolled them up to the bumper, then up the bumper and in ... they barely cleared the roof! I remember the front of that thing was so high I thought it was going to come off the ground!

But I made it home, and that wood heated my house! Alls well that ends well!!!

Had a bit of an eye opening experience at the shop today. A customer of ours has a '21 GMC 2500 HD with a Duramax. He had free oil changes for two years from the dealership. He brought it to us for it's first oil change after the free changes were done. Here's what we found.
The filter on the left was on the truck. It was installed by the dealership quick lube center. The one on the right is from a different Duramax. It is a Wix.
20230215_113912.jpgHere's the filters cut apart. When I cut the green one apart there was hardly any oil trapped in it after being drained for about 2 hours. When I cut the Wix open it had quite a bit of oil trapped in it after sitting in our oil filter barrel with the opening down for at least a week. That tells me the Ecogard anti drainback valve wasn't working. 20230215_120113.jpg
I am going to cut the filter elements apart tomorrow. I am guessing the Ecogard will have 1/2 to 2/3 the length of media.
Here's where it gets bad. He was running it to 0% oil life! 6-7k miles on an oil change! When we started it the engine it had a deep knock until the oil pressure came up. It wasn't extremely loud but it was noticeable.
We explained that it was better to run to 30-40% oil life. It's not worth it to play Russian Roulette with a 20k engine.
He assumed they were using AcDelco filters. Always make sure the dealer is putting on the filter you're paying for.

Hey, if you want to see an overloaded vehicle, (wish I had some pictures) I remember loading some huge Red Oak rounds into the back on my Pinto Station wagon. They were much too heavy for me to lift (and I was young and strong then), but I rolled them up to the bumper, then up the bumper and in ... they barely cleared the roof! I remember the front of that thing was so high I thought it was going to come off the ground!

But I made it home, and that wood heated my house! Alls well that ends well!!!
Try 2900# in a 2000 Tacoma, lol (3/4 ton rear spring minus the overloads…)
picked up some key-stone landscaping stones for cheap and didn’t want to take two trips. Only a 6 mile trip on back roads, so…
steering was a bit odd so when I got home I weigh one stone…20#. 😳
did the math…😳
at least the frame didn’t snap, lol. Granted I had boxed and plated the rear frame during the build, but…
that was way overloaded.
brakes? 🤣🤣 when you can see the stop sign, start braking…

What I hear you saying is that you're going to have to tell cowgirl that the trailer needs new tyres soon! ;)

🤔

Yes, I think you might be right! Half the blokes on this thread won't know what you're talking about though :rare2:

Nice. Did you catch up, or just skipped ahead?

What the actual ... nah, I can't get mad :laugh:

I've read every page of this thread. When I started I was 900 pages behind. Why would a mere 120 pages worry me?

Not sure if any of you guys listen to podcast or not, but I decided to start mine back up.

Mostly gun stuff, but lots of other stuff I talk about too. Its called "The Mountain Man Dan Show"
If you take a listen, let me know what you think and ways I can improve it.
I listen to podcasts on my long commutes to work. Almost entirely financial and economic focused.

I know for Ford it depends on the year. In the '70s the F100, F150 and F250 regular cab shared the same frames but the frames were different on the bigger ones. There were other differences as the GVWs went up that guys used to ignore... For example riveted rims instead of welded rims.

I fully admit that I've forgotten a lot of the details. I used to have fun ordering trucks for stock from the DSO (Dealer Special Order) book that were unique. I recall a Coral F250 with a 351, 4spd, that had every chrome item available (even bed rails) and bucket seats! People were all over that thing and it didn't stay on the lot long. That truck is still on the road! I saw it at the Home Depot a few years ago and waited for the owner to come out so I could chat with him. He was the second owner. The original owner was his neighbor. It had been repainted and he added a center console out of full size Bronco. Basically the bucket seat option was the front seat and trim from a Bronco so the console fit right in.

There was a two-tone white and yellow truck too that was loaded up. I cannot remember what powertrain I speced in that one. A guy my mother worked with at the medical lab bought it and years later sold it to the husband of one of the other lab techs.

Here's a trivia item. Why did Ford have an F100 and an F150 in the '70s?
2wd vs 4wd if I recall correctly. I think it went back to the bump side. I had a 68 f100 3 on the tree with a 390 police interceptor swapped in it. Was supposed to be my first vehicle..... yep, um my pops caught me doing burnouts with it one day. Yep truck was gone by the weekend. Loved that truck. Side step the clutch in 3rd and just roast the tires off.
The price I mentioned was figuring building your own trusses.....no good if you have .gov regulations /engineering stuff to deal with there.

I've built trusses for dozens of houses, shops, and barns since the early 90's, none of them were professionally /legally engineered, and none of them have failed in any way.

There are lots of useful tools online to figure out how to "engineer" your own structures.

Here's a pic of the most recent truss build we did....our pole barn.
32' span.
View attachment 1058074
I need to provide some sort of load per foot Information for the township to approve the permit. I'll look into it again before I commit to whatever I end up doing. Nanette is a hard woman to deal with at the township and doesn't seem to like my stupid questions. Honestly I'm about ready to just put something up and worry about asking for forgiveness lol.

Gotta love sugar maple. I put 3 pieces of maple and 3 pieces of ash in here at 9:30 last night. Here's what I had at 6:45 this morning. 20230216_065810.jpgFive years ago I would struggle to have long burns. Thanks fellas for teaching me the benefits of properly seasoned wood. I don't care what kind of wood it is if it's seasoned properly it burns way better than not. Even aspen and birch aren't too bad. Nice shoulder season wood.

Yesterday's dropped off scrounge from my one buddy. The crapsman looks really clean under all the dirt.
View attachment 1058166View attachment 1058167
That S25 brings back memories. My Dad bought one in 1981 to cut a row of cedars down. It sat for the next 25 years in my parent’s basement before I happened to notice it on the shelf while helping my Mom pare down their belongings after my father’s death. I tore that thing down to every bit and piece and rebuilt it with as many parts as I could source. Never got the replacement carb working well and gave up. With the knowledge gleaned today it would be running well.

2wd vs 4wd if I recall correctly. I think it went back to the bump side. I had a 68 f100 3 on the tree with a 390 police interceptor swapped in it. Was supposed to be my first vehicle..... yep, um my pops caught me doing burnouts with it one day. Yep truck was gone by the weekend. Loved that truck. Side step the clutch in 3rd and just roast the tires off.

I need to provide some sort of load per foot Information for the township to approve the permit. I'll look into it again before I commit to whatever I end up doing. Nanette is a hard woman to deal with at the township and doesn't seem to like my stupid questions. Honestly I'm about ready to just put something up and worry about asking for forgiveness lol.
My uncle was builder/developer and he always said it was easier to get forgiveness than permission.....
it's true, if you go in asking for permission, they drag their feet and sometimes completely ignore people....but boy, you start driving nails....and they're on the job right now!

My dad built a house one time without a permit and got "caught".... they told him he had to get a permit or he'd be fined... he said okay how much is permit going to cost? the permit was..$3500 and very difficult to get....the fine was $1500 and would be really easy to get.....dad opted for the "fine"......

I guess that Ruger/Hornady developed a cartridge with almost the same performance of the 338-06, but it is NLA. I did not even remember it till I stumbled upon it.

The 338 Ruger Compact Magnum. If they still chambered it, I would not be building a "custom gun".

Now I have a question for serious reloaders ... Why do they always use magnum primers in "compact magnums", but not in longer 06 style cases? Aren't the short-fat cases supposed to be more efficient and not need as hot of a primer???

Note: The military uses magnum primers in 7.62 (308) ammo to ensure it will work in extreme cold conditions. However, a test of using standard or magnum primers in the 308 (for most situations) showed that the magnum primers resulted in higher pressures but lower velocities.

My Hornady manual #3 states that the best primer they found for the 300 Win Mag was the Winchester 120 primer ... a now discontinued primer that was in the middle between a standard and magnum primer. I used to use those primers in everything and was very disappointed when they discontinued them and went to "standard and magnum" like everyone else. They worked very well in the 30-30, 220 Swift, 270, 300 Win Mag and 348 Winchester.

I guess that Ruger/Hornady developed a cartridge with almost the same performance of the 338-06, but it is NLA. I did not even remember it till I stumbled upon it.

The 338 Ruger Compact Magnum. If they still chambered it, I would not be building a "custom gun".

Now I have a question for serious reloaders ... Why do they always use magnum primers in "compact magnums", but not in longer 06 style cases? Aren't the short-fat cases supposed to be more efficient and not need as hot of a primer???

Note: The military uses magnum primers in 7.62 (308) ammo to ensure it will work in extreme cold conditions. However, a test of using standard or magnum primers in the 308 (for most situations) showed that the magnum primers resulted in higher pressures but lower velocities.

My Hornady manual #3 states that the best primer they found for the 300 Win Mag was the Winchester 120 primer ... a now discontinued primer that was in the middle between a standard and magnum primer. I used to use those primers in everything and was very disappointed when they discontinued them and went to "standard and magnum" like everyone else. They worked very well in the 30-30, 220 Swift, 270, 300 Win Mag and 348 Winchester.
While I'm not familiar with loading the various short mags I'll take a guess. I assume they run slow powders, correct? My understanding is the slow powders are harder to consistently ignite. If that's the case then that's my theory.

My uncle was builder/developer and he always said it was easier to get forgiveness than permission.....
it's true, if you go in asking for permission, they drag their feet and sometimes completely ignore people....but boy, you start driving nails....and they're on the job right now!

My dad built a house one time without a permit and got "caught".... they told him he had to get a permit or he'd be fined... he said okay how much is permit going to cost? the permit was..$3500 and very difficult to get....the fine was $1500 and would be really easy to get.....dad opted for the "fine"......
We're just a bunch of hillbillies down a private lane. You would have to kill someone before the cops would come out and the township doesn't give a rip, so long as our taxes are paid. My problem is a have a real jack arse for a neighbor. Just don't want any bs from him, even though I'm sure none of the buildings on his property are up to any codes and should honestly be condemned. Heck for 10 years I've been watching his half arse barn fall in on its self and everything that's in it. Any way, push comes to shove some sort of shop big enough to pull my truck in is going up in the next few months.

Latest posts

Back