Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl used to call them 24" bars, then changed the name w/o changing the bar. As far as I can figure, the reason they did this is so you won't notice the 28" bar is really a 27" bar. 20" bars are 20". (Measuring w/o dogs on most Stihl saws).

That explains why there’s a 25” bar now.

I have at least 4 hanging in the garage and a couple inside. I think they're all complete, just haven't got to them yet. One of the 025s has a red lever, never have understood the significance of that although I see it mentioned a lot. I never realized how badazz these saws are until I worked for my buddy's tree service. We used 250 and 251s. Our climber preferred the old 192 to the 201. I gained a whole new respect for that little saw. I love my 200t but if I bought a new top handle today I wouldn't even consider the 201 with its high price point.
I have no opinion on the MS250/025s. I haven't run one yet. My plan is to fix it up and list it on Marketplace for $150. People sell their MS170s for $175 around here so I figure I should be able to sell it. If not I'll have a good saw to beat around in my UTV.

I've been hearing stuff like that for 45+ years... worked in a Ford dealership when I was a kid. Nobody seems to consider the brakes... But then again, after hanging out here for years I don't know if guys care if the brakes work or not, or how long and well they work, as long as it's got power and payload capacity. 😉 Me... after having a master cylinder rip loose from the rust rotted unibody of a VW bug while driving down a mountain one time; blowing a brake line in my Ford E250 van another time; and learning to drive in cars with barely adequate 4 wheel drum brakes, I like brakes that are big and strong enough for the job and work as designed... especially knowing there are overloaded vehicles with inadequate brakes on the road. o_O🤣
I like big brakes and I can lie...

I have no opinion on the MS250/025s. I haven't run one yet. My plan is to fix it up and list it on Marketplace for $150. People sell their MS170s for $175 around here so I figure I should be able to sell it. If not I'll have a good saw to beat around in my UTV.
This sounds like a good plan. I have a pile of 192Ts here to sail on. The 018s need be close behind.

Thats interesting, I cant stand a ms250 everyone I've ever touched has been junk, and I'd trade my 192tc for a 200/1 t in a heart beat. Like night and day power difference between the two and not much more in the weight department.
Be careful what you wish for. A muffler modded good running 192T will keep up with the early 201T carb models. They needed bigger carbs, timing advance and a muffler mod just to keep up. Porting the carb or changing it was like porting a tool. They are sad but last forever. If you only had one of those you think it's a good limbing saw. Once you run a 200T that changes.

I bought a new one back before I joined this site. At the time it was my biggest saw. Cut a sh!t ton of wood with it. Only problem I ever had was when a piece of dirt clogged the oiler line. I run the 3/8 picco on mine. IMOP the saw doesn't have enough poop to run .325. @James Miller and I did some testing with both chains. After we put a picco chain on his he said it was a completely different saw.

@farmer steve wife made asparagus last night with dinner. Made me think about the asparagus I got from you. No comparison, your was so much better tasting. This was thin and real stringy.
Thanks.Well have plenty in about 2 months or so. C'mon over.

I bought a new one back before I joined this site. At the time it was my biggest saw. Cut a sh!t ton of wood with it. Only problem I ever had was when a piece of dirt clogged the oiler line. I run the 3/8 picco on mine. IMOP the saw doesn't have enough poop to run .325. @James Miller and I did some testing with both chains. After we put a picco chain on his he said it was a completely different saw.
16"lp and never look back on a ported 250. The 025 is close with the same stuff as in a gutted muffler outlet, widened ports, shaved intake skirt and timing advance. Lifting the transfer ports some will add HP and rpms when in reality it should only add mid range. Shows how they were too low from the factory probably based on emissions laws. The intake can be widened quite a bit. If you run the 18lp bar no need for much ignition timing advance. Add maybe 2°-4° there. Porting the carb did little for them imo. Getting rid of that terrible air filter would be a win on any model. Once ported or modified the saw will pull the 18lp setup pretty good in dry hardwoods. I've built three for guys to use limbing tops in the woods on the ground or trail ride saws. One was a ported 025, 14lp and no nothing on the outlet but bent out louvers and the grid under it removed. He was running 8° advanced. It got hot too so no long cuts. Fast durable farm tool.

An honest day’s work. Split a bunch of red oak, red maple, yellow birch, and cherry birch. Did this on Monday as well getting about 3/4 of a cord stacked. Cut down a 70ft poplar and a 50ft black cherry to further clear the site on my land of unwanted trees. Have a few more to go. I do love the smell of cherry birch.

0F4804FC-7BCD-4917-B753-39159C890FD4.jpeg

I did not know what Cherry Birch was, so I looked it up!

Betula lenta (sweet birch, also known as black birch, cherry birch, mahogany birch, or spice birch)

Sounds almost like Wedge, Sub, Hoagie, etc!

It is what I refer to as Black Birch and has ben becoming more popular on my upstate property in recent years (seemingly to replace the Ash and Black Cherry that were once dominant).

Black Birch has more BTUs than other Birch trees, and when you scape the bark it smells like Wintergreen! It also has a lot of sap and can be used to make syrup.

However, it does not coal up as well as Black Cherry, which has less BTUs. It seems similar to Ash to me, ... burns hot but does not coal up much.

Thats interesting, I cant stand a ms250 everyone I've ever touched has been junk, and I'd trade my 192tc for a 200/1 t in a heart beat. Like night and day power difference between the two and not much more in the weight department.
Reckon you're not on the list for potentials when I finally decide to dump my 250.

I've got the parts to change over. If it keeps starting (painfully) I just may try them.

I'm currently narrowed down to a versa tube frame kit. Waiting on a few quotes yet. We were looking at finished kits that came with the tin and everything, but they were all a little over double the price of the versa tube frame kit. I have loads of tin laying around, so it shouldn't be an issue to finish it off.
Have you checked prices on lumber? it's way down from what is was a year ago...
Down here I could frame up a 24x30x10 shop for under $2k right now.

I'm not trying to tell nobody how to do stuff.... just like to help folks save money.

8 inches of snow today, high of 15*, low near zero tonight—good indoor weather by the fire. Memories kick in.

Chipper1 driving semi reminds me that when I was 17-18 I thought over the road truck driving might be cool—get paid to see the country. From the few trucks I rode in during my hitch-hiking days (1969/70) I learned that it was hard on your back, not nearly as glamorous as I imagined. Drivers of today’s rigs ride on a cushion of air, as near as I can see.

But I did drive a semi one time. During the 1980s—’95 when I was a commercial hay producer in SW Oklahoma my main hay buyer was Tom Tofflemoyer out of Cleburne, TX. One day me and 2 guys were loading small square bales of alfalfa (my money crop—five cuttings a season) onto his lowboy flatbed semi (600-some bales was our load—each about 70#). This was inside my 44’ X 100’ drive-thru barn.

Tom, on his way back to TX from somewhere in Colorado, was taking a nap inside his rig while we loaded bales. I opened the door to the cab—Hey Tom, we need you to move forward a bit.

A muffled voice from behind: You do it. I need my sleep.

I climbed in, gazed at all the gauges and such—Greek to me—and I told him: I don’t know how to drive this thing. He said, start it up, put it in gear, you’ll figure it out.

About twenty-five feet forward inside my barn, my entire semi-truck driving experience. But I still retain respect for the folks who move goods over our roads.

Tom had the hay contract for the Dallas zoo--very tight specs for quality. Some of my hay went to feed zoo animals. Kinda cool.

Back